Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 60. Anyone else over 50 doing RNY?

Well I'm 49 n my surgery should be in about 4 wks. I'm waiting on ins. Should hear them in another week then my 2 wk pre op then surgery. I'm wondering at my age n health issues from being over weight am I gonna be able to exercise. Getting real anxious!!

I had RNY on 8/13/2012 at the age of 62. I have lost 98 pounds in 10 months

. I don't get in as much exercise as I would like to. Mainly just walk and do yard work.

I eat Protein first and very little carbs. I do eat wheat crackers and cheddar cheese for a snack .

I wish I had lost more by now but I am so glad to be rid of the extra weight. Even though this has been a trying journey I am so thankful to have this much of the saga behind me.

I can 't wait to see what the future holds.

I was informed that when I have my RNY they don't want me to get to goal weight 130 lbs. Honestly feel it is because of age. Elderly, such as myself, has a tendency to shut down on the amount of food they eat. This is their brain normally doing it. But I don't classify myself as elderly that is just a number on a piece of paper. So I'm like you can't wait to see what the future holds.

I had a capsule shift for my loose shoulder...ouch....I agree not taking anti inflammatory drugs is a pain..there is a topical that works well.

I hope I'm not shocking anybody but I was 72 when I had RNY. I have always felt 20 years younger and age has just been a number. My Dr. did an 84 yr old and he did fine. In searching for a bariatric practice, I noticed that many had a cut off at 65 +/-. Diabetes was my main concern and could not see myself taking proper care of myself when I get really old so that was my main motivation for the surgery. It wasn't a snap decision however, but when I found an opportunity I thought I should take it before Medicare decides to drop the age limit.

I hope I'm not shocking anybody but I was 72 when I had RNY. I have always felt 20 years younger and age has just been a number. My Dr. did an 84 yr old and he did fine. In searching for a bariatric practice' date=' I noticed that many had a cut off at 65 +/-. Diabetes was my main concern and could not see myself taking proper care of myself when I get really old so that was my main motivation for the surgery. It wasn't a snap decision however, but when I found an opportunity I thought I should take it before Medicare decides to drop the age limit.[/quote']

If you feel good, then I think its great!! Stay healthy!! :)

I'm 61, had surgery at 59.

I'm 64 and had surgery when I was 63. One of my best decisions ever!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I think that's great for all of you, but I'm not far behind ill be 50. But Its all in how u feel. ,:)

I had my bypass the end of January this year and I had turned 66 the month before in December. So I guess as of now I am the old timer. I have lost almost 70 lbs. all post surgery. It is slow as I cannot exercise at all due to two very bad knees which need to be replaced. So I am doing it all with my food choices. So 70 lbs in 6 months. I just kind of ignore those 25 year olds with good knees who spend 5 days a week at the gym. That is not my reality. I feel so much better already and that is reward enough. Maybe after a few more lbs. off I will be able to hit the pool and walk in the Water. They say that is really good and very easy on the joints. But for now I take it day to day. I weigh once a week. Seem to be in a stall right now at 6 months out. All labs really good. No complications. No complaints either.

Testing

Testing

I hope I'm not shocking anybody but I was 72 when I had RNY. I have always felt 20 years younger and age has just been a number. My Dr. did an 84 yr old and he did fine. In searching for a bariatric practice' date=' I noticed that many had a cut off at 65 +/-. Diabetes was my main concern and could not see myself taking proper care of myself when I get really old so that was my main motivation for the surgery. It wasn't a snap decision however, but when I found an opportunity I thought I should take it before Medicare decides to drop the age limit.[/quote']

All I can say is WHOO WHO YOU GO. ..... CONGRATS

I will be 54 on Sept. 18th, the day I have surgery.I am both excited an scared. I mean I have been a big girl for so long an now after surgery a new me will start to emerge.

I'm 71 and having surgery next Wednesday. Had lapband though at 66 and just had it removed in May. Not actually scared, as I'm taking an attitude of what will be, will be. All I know if I follow doctor's orders and there are problems, it won't be anything I did. Have 50 lbs to lose, but getting rid of diabetes I hope will be the best outcome from this for me.