Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC and BRS Bariatric Resource Services

Does anyone have UHC and have to go thru BRS for approval. Please tell me all about it. I know my ins covers the surgery I'm just wondering how long approval took for u after they submitted and if u ran into any problems.

I have started this process. I have talked to my BRS nurse and she just asked me some questions-nothing major and she was very nice. I don't have any requirements except a psych eval which I am going to be doing soon hopefully. I haven't submitted my request yet since I still have that condition to go. The way they talked to me though made it seem like I have really no worries about being approved.

The only thing that stinks about the whole thing is that my out of pocket is going to be fairly high since they are covering 80% only and I have a high deductible (course I'd be paying the same anyway with the 20% thing). I am working on coming up with it and am doing pretty well.

That's great!! I was approved and had surgery March 18 th. There was nothing to it. The only thing you should have to pay up front is your portion of the surgeons fee. After surgery you'll have to wait and see who bills first bc you are certain to meet your out of pocket max. I paid 940 so far. Best if luck!!

That's great!! I was approved and had surgery March 18 th. There was nothing to it. The only thing you should have to pay up front is your portion of the surgeons fee. After surgery you'll have to wait and see who bills first bc you are certain to meet your out of pocket max. I paid 940 so far. Best if luck!!

My out of pocket is going to end up around $3000-$3500... my deductible alone is $2000 plus my part of the bill and I was told that I must pay it all before surgery! My out of pocket max at this point is $3500 according to UHC (was $4000 but other doctors bills thus far this year has brought it down some).

I have UHC and already have a nurse. Meet with my doctor and nutritionist yesterday. I scheduled my pysch eval for June.

I am 80/20 also. Do you have to do the whole 6 month wait on your policy also?

I have UHC and already have a nurse. Meet with my doctor and nutritionist yesterday. I scheduled my pysch eval for June.

I am 80/20 also. Do you have to do the whole 6 month wait on your policy also?

Thankfully I didn't need the 6 months. I didn't even need any medical records! All they wanted was psych eval which I did last Tuesday. I'm so ready for my doctors office to call me! I called yesterday and they hadn't received the eval yet.

I have the same insurance and had to submit a 6 month diet plan, a 5 year weight history, complete a psychological evaluation and one visit with a nutritionist. Thankfully the diet plan did not have to be consecutive and could go back 2 years...I'm just waiting on approval now.

I have UHC and every person plan is different. I was told it depends on what you company has approved to pay for premiums. Mine required:

Six month waiting period

Psychologist visit

Two nutrition classes

Cardiac testing clearance

5 year proof of being overweight

Monthly weight record for six months and diet plan from primary care doctor

After six months all information was sent to UHC for review and they then determine if they approve you. I was approved. My max out of pocket is $1500 after meeting $200 deductible for using in network doctors.