Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly thread.....but are your food bills less?

I just think this is funny.

I haven't noticed my food bills any less, because I have a dh and 3 beautiful and growing kids, but I sure notice a meal last longer without me eating my full share.

:)

I am sure if I lived alone, my food bills would be very little.

How about you? Have you noticed a difference?

I don't budget or really track expenses, so as much as I hate to say it - I don't know. The logical conclusion would be "yes", but let's see...

When we eat out, I order the same meals as I did before. This cost is the same, but I'm now getting 3 or 4 meals out of it instead of just one.

Before surgery, DH was a big steak eater. I could take it or leave it, but since he liked it so much I frequently made it. That's about what, $25 for 2 steaks? (DH prefers Angus porterhouse or thick-cut t-bones, which I think are more expensive than the strips I always preferred). Now I don't eat any red meat, and 95% of what I cook is chicken. Two chicken breasts costs what, $3? (Ok, this is how bad I am... I don't even pay attention to what things cost at the store, so I can ony make a rough guess about these prices).

I used to eat Breakfast out most days, and lunch, and dinner. Now I rarely eat Breakfast period, rarely eat lunch out, and am about 70/30 dinners at home/out. There has to be some kind of savings there.

So really all I've done is ramble. I should probably let someone who's more responsible with their money and spending answer this question. :nervous

Guest Krysia

Not a silly thread at all. In fact, my husband and I were just talking about this very topic a couple of days ago.

I think we're saving money primarily because food lasts longer now. We have leftovers which my husband and kids can eat the next night for dinner, or he can take for lunch, which saves on buying deli meats for sandwiches, or lunches out.

Granted, I'm still at the liquid phase of my post-op diet, but I'm thinking that in the future, I can be satisfied with a $3 "happy meal" instead of a $6 "adult" meal. So right there, I've saved $3. (Not like we do the fast food thing often, but I thought it was the easiest way to put it in perspective.)

My family eats out A LOT because of crazy work schedules and our daughter's grueling sports schedules. Here's what's happening to me.... right now I have around 5 takeout boxes full of food that I will have to throw away tomorrow. I order the meal, eat part of it, and take part of it for lunch the next day........ and there's STILL food left! I wish my DH would split, but he eats a lot and works it all off!!!

....and what I'm saving from monthly co-pay on meds no longer used, is paying for my new truck!!!!

WHO HOO JACK!

I like that attitude.

I think that the money I save on my portion of foods will go to a GYM MEMBERSHIP....

did I just say that?

I have nothing to compare food bills to because we own a restaurant and usually ate leftovers....but, I am saving a tremendous amount on fast food and alcohol.

Carol

Eating out bill has gone down, of course I no longer do fast food. If we do go out I get a kids portion and still take some home. As far as home food bills, a little bit. Not much, but I am still making my plates too big and waisting food....

:hungry:

I've found that my food bill hasnt really changed, if anything, its gone up.

Less cheap meat like sausages and more expensive stuff like lamb cutlets. More fruit and vegetables (I buy organic) which cost a lot more than chips and Cookies.

When I eat out, I order the same - I've only ever ordered just a main meal, never been an entree, main, dessert eater. YOu dont generally get doggie bags in Australia so I pay for my main, eat 1/3 of it and the rest gets thrown out.

The family's diet has improved overall, but I'm spending quite a substantial amount of money on supplements and Vitamins for me.

Guest Krysia

....and what I'm saving from monthly co-pay on meds no longer used, is paying for my new truck!!!!

Jack!!!! Score!!!! That is brilliant!

:mad:

No doggie bags in Australia? That bites! (Er, pardon the pun, LOL.)

Actually my food bill has went up by like 50.00 a week. Reason being...I am now buying ALOT more fruits and veggies...fresh fish (never ate it before band) yogurts, egg beaters...etc I could go on and on but you know what it makes me kinda sick that you have to pay more $$$ to be healthy than not.

Chips: 1-2.00 Fresh Veggie Platter: 5-7.00

Cookies 2-3.00 Fresh Fruit: 4-6.00

Soda - 1-2.00 Crystal Light 5.00+

Ice Cream - 2.00+ sugar free Ice Pops: 4.00+

NO WONDER THE WORLD IS OBESE!!!!

JUST MY OPINION LOL

Guest Krysia

I could go on and on but you know what it makes me kinda sick that you have to pay more $$$ to be healthy than not.

Hear, hear!

I swear, it's a conspiracy!

I am also buying much better cuts of meat and organic fish and chicken and they are not cheap but I figure that I eat so little, I want to really enjoy it!! I am spending a lot more time in the kitchen fixing lots of veggie and salads. I even make my own dressings so I dont get all those preservitaves.

I dont know for sure but I believe that organic beef has none of these growth hormones that I think keep the weight on.

I also learned to make my own yogurt so I dont get all that sugar and Gelatin fillers. I do spend a lot more time in the kitchen and a lot less time at the table. And a lot more time at the grocery stores, reading lables lol.

My food bill isn't less. I can attribute it to the fact that I am eating healthier foods instead of the pre-packaged, processed stuff.

Me too. It costs more to eat healthy!