Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooooooo good to be here on the post-op losers bench! I had surgery 1 week ago and have kind of been MIA since, sorry about that. Surgery went well, no complications and I came home on Wednesday. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really not prepared for the pain. I gave birth to 2 giant baby boys, so I like to think I have a pretty high pain threshold, but this surgery kicked my ass. Anyway, I am happy to say that I am feeling MUCH better today and was able to sneeze without crying. That is all I prayed for, a cough or sneeze that did not make me cry for a 1/2 hour after.

I am doing pretty good with getting all of my fluids and Protein in, but have had some major head hunger and a serious feeling-sorry-for-myself moment on Saturday. All is better now and I am just taking this one day at a time. I see my Dr. tomorrow for my first post-op, so I am hoping he tells me I am doing well.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Yep, I think the first week was the hardest! I had many moments of feeling sorry for myself and what the heck did I do! Now that I'm 3.5 weeks I can relate with those that say, "hang in there, it does get better!" And one day at a time is the best way for me as well! Welcome back and congrats!!

asking the same of the december and january post-op groups: have any of you had trouble with bloody noses? i got one last night while getting sick and i've neever had one before. not sure if it's related to dehydration or fighting a cold-possibly the throwing up...

i'd opened a can of low fat hormel turkey chili, added a little greek yogurt and cheese to it, took about three bites and was immediately sick. i know i took the 1st two bites too quickly (i'd waited too long to eat and was hungry), i didn't chew it enough and paid for it. not much more than phlem, air and bubbles came up, but the runny nose started in instantly and so did the blood. it took a little longer to stop and i still have the runny nose. not sure if i'm fighting a cold or it's a sign of something else.

i've had turkey since surgery, beef and cheese as well. the only thing different was the greek yogurt. i'm not really questioning the food, it's more the bloody and runny nose.

-oh, it also started me on a stupid crying jag. felt like a big baby :[

Who is super emotional besides me? Please tell me I'm not alone. I keep having crying episodes almost hysterical. It's not about food. I'm not hungry and I don't want to even think of food. I'm getting plenty of fluids. I'm walking every hour. I'm using my spirometer. I'm giving myself my shots. I don't know what's wrong I'm just emotional. I cry about everything constantly. It all started in the hospital and hasn't gotten better. I feel so helpless. I still can't reach my backside when I shower and my hb has to help me. I can't bend over and put on my own walking shoes by myself. I can't pick up a pan of boiling Water because its too heavy (made spaghetti for my large family.). I can't pick up the junk off the floor that the kids leave behind. I just feel stupid and helpless. I cry all the time. I don't know what to do. Just stick it out?

I've been an emotional mess too! This morning I woke up and couldn't seem to get cool liquids down without incredible pain. I called the on call nurse and she said it is probably a stricture. I was advised to try warm liquids to see if it loosens it up, but if it doesn't get better and allow for 64 ounces of fluids today, I am headed back to the hospital. The nurse said the upper GI doc would meet me at the ER to rule out a stricture before any other testing and that I would also get IV fluids. Sounds like fun times to me :( I am praying for the warm liquids to work this out on its own!

Who is super emotional besides me? Please tell me I'm not alone. I keep having crying episodes almost hysterical. It's not about food. I'm not hungry and I don't want to even think of food. I'm getting plenty of fluids. I'm walking every hour. I'm using my spirometer. I'm giving myself my shots. I don't know what's wrong I'm just emotional. I cry about everything constantly. It all started in the hospital and hasn't gotten better. I feel so helpless. I still can't reach my backside when I shower and my hb has to help me. I can't bend over and put on my own walking shoes by myself. I can't pick up a pan of boiling Water because its too heavy (made spaghetti for my large family.). I can't pick up the junk off the floor that the kids leave behind. I just feel stupid and helpless. I cry all the time. I don't know what to do. Just stick it out?

My Dr told me it happens to a few people. I had my surgery 2weeks ago today and I still feel like that. I kinda woke up from my surgery feeling that way. It's a little better though. I don't know if its actually subsiding or if its my sisters being such a wonderful support group for me. But hang in there- we both have to! And I don't think it's such a bad idea to reach out to a counselor either, it's what I'm planning to do. If you need someone to talk to let me know.

Jessica-I had crying episodes the first week. When did you have your surgery? Last week on the way home from the doctor's office I wanted to cry, for no apparent reason! Our lives and bodies have changed dramatically!! Trying to help my daughter with her homework last week put me in a tail spin. I'm also very snippy at my husband, poor guy! I'm sure it's the hormones and change! If you are feeling hopeless, I wouldn't wait it out. I would call your doctor, unless you have a counselor. We can all use someone to talk to! You deserve this!!!

I've been an emotional mess too! This morning I woke up and couldn't seem to get cool liquids down without incredible pain. I called the on call nurse and she said it is probably a stricture. I was advised to try warm liquids to see if it loosens it up' date=' but if it doesn't get better and allow for 64 ounces of fluids today, I am headed back to the hospital. The nurse said the upper GI doc would meet me at the ER to rule out a stricture before any other testing and that I would also get IV fluids. Sounds like fun times to me :( I am praying for the warm liquids to work this out on its own![/quote']

Feeling any better????

Getting emotional is completely normal; there are a ton of changes our bodies go through just from the physical part of the surgery, and we have a lot to adapt to when learning to care for ourselves so we can heal properly. It's a big job, we have to be mini nurses and good students, paying attention to and learning all the signs and signals of our bodies that we never experienced before. We aren't used to having to rely on someone else to help us do the things we normally do for ourselves, and it can feel debilitating or demeaning, especially more so if we're stubborn or strong willed women (such as I am) and to add to it, it can also be made more difficult depending on how supportive or helpful others are around us. Then add to it we have to learn a new way of eating-we can't have the foods we ate for years, enjoyed and loved, craved and smelled. We still have to be around it, smell it, see it, cook it for our families, and of course decline it and in many cases try to deny to ourselves that we even crave or want it. We have this high expectation on ourselves and with others watching us to lose weight (which we had so much difficulty with before so the pressure is intense) and getting our lives back on track, it's no wonder we crack at times.

Of course its hard to stay strong in all this, and getting emotional is something i believe they should prepare us for more. It's a perfect excuse for us to rely on each other, our various support systems and attend support groups when they're available to us. I know I need it, sometimes more than others. I'm here for any of you should you need someone to talk to, text, cry to, scream to, etc. I'm no expert (just a rookie in all this) but I have a couple good ears and don't mind listening. :) Feel free to message me and I'll give you my phone number. Hugs to all of you.

Surgery was on Jan 14? Are any of you constantly nauseous? It doesn't go away, they want me to get the Protein Shakes in and the 64oz of water... But im feeling so sick its hard to do any of this. will it eventually go away??

Surgery was on Jan 14? Are any of you constantly nauseous? It doesn't go away, they want me to get the Protein Shakes in and the 64oz of water... But im feeling so sick its hard to do any of this. will it eventually go away??

No nausea at all.

3 weeks post op!

U look great congrats keep up thw good work