Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing With Judgmental Idiots

So... I'm in college. I took one class this semester and it was HEALTH... Wtf was I thinkin... So I told the Prof/Dr I was going to be out for surgery and she was cool..... So I get back in class and she shows us a film called Forks over knives which pretty much is a documentary on how meat and dairy will kill you and how we can get all the Protein we need from veggies. They of course had people doing this plant based diet and the all pretty much look like what we went under the knife for...diabetes... High blood pressure whipped out.... By the end of the movie I felt like a total ass.... So I ask her at that point about the protein I'm drinking and she says why are you drinking that. And I tell her about my bypass... And her face just dropped.... She then said for me to ask my dr about switching to a plant based diet.. But I'm telling you the look she gave me was as is I told her I had stage 4 cancer.......... I know it's too late now but I wish I had seen that flick beforehand..... I hope I haven't done something that will eventually kill me... I was trying to prolong my life.... I'm very afraid....

Most films like that are propaganda. Don't believe everything you see on television. That is one opinion. Follow your doctors advice, they have your best interest at heart. Any concerns, ask them.

They are propaganda. Work with your dr.

Honey don't worry at all. See http://atlantasportsnutrition.com/2012/05/30/putting-a-fork-in-forks-over-knives/ for a sports nutritionist's analyses of the research presented in that film.

It's completely biased and non-scientific. Think about all the documentaries that used "facts" to argue that 9/11 was an inside job. Think of all the "facts" people have that prove the world is going to end this month. The agenda pushed in this film is born of the same class of "facts."

While I'm sure your teacher has the best of intentions and believes what she's teaching you, I would bet my life she never went to medical school and probably isn't even a nutritionist or dietician. Is a plant based, natural diet better for you than beef nachos layered in cheddar and sour cream? OF COURSE! But the film blames animal Protein and nothing else... Ugh. I was a researcher for quite some time and to see data presented like this gives me a Migraine.

Most of all, I'm so sorry this woman made you feel bad about your choice. Her reaction is truly ignorant, and I rarely use that word.

You are doing great and making the most of your life and your health. Don't let anybody with bad info get in the way of that.

Ok so gastric bypass I have learned is like religion or politics everyone has there own opinion and yes there are people that have failed and yes there are people who get sick. If you follow the protocol that your doctor and nutritionist have set out for you , you will be fine. My daughter took a nutrition class also this semester and her prof. Told her she needed to have higher carbs... I mean really wth!!! I'm sure you did extensive research before surgery and know you made the right decision. Don't let someone who hasn't probably done half the research you have make you second guess your decision. Hugs!!

You guys have said a mouth full.....I have a therapist and I will be talking with her ongoing to make sure I can deal with all the drama I'm going to get now that I'm not going to be the fat girl in the room..... Lmao..... Thanks you guys a bunch....

Oh the fat girl in the room... That's me at work. I need therapy just for this alone.

You are fine! Having surgery or becoming vegan is a personal choice. People have an opinion about everything and love to share it. Be strong and do what's best for your body. When it comes to food and diet, there isn't a one size fits all and it's a shame a teacher would behave so inappropriately.

The reality is that people can make a documentary about anything and find" experts" to support their views. Don't let other people's narrow minds undermine your confidence in the decisions you make to make your life better. Tell that instructor to mind her own business with regard to what you should tellvyour doctor.

I can't add anything the others haven't. Don't doubt yourself. Everyone has an opinion. See I just had to add something, lol. You will do great. Please do follow all your doc's instructions. Get your Protein in, stay hydrated, TAKE YOUR Vitamins. Day by Day you are going to be healthier and you are adding years to your life, I believe that.

I had a much smaller woman say to me today that she wishes she could have the surgery. I was not sure what to say kinda made me mad and then I deluxe that it is probley because she looks a like I would like to when am done loseing weight. Just rubed me the wrong way

I had a much smaller woman say to me today that she wishes she could have the surgery. I was not sure what to say kinda made me mad and then I deluxe that it is probley because she looks a like I would like to when am done loseing weight. Just rubed me the wrong way

Just proves we all have different outlooks on what we want to look like.

So... I'm in college. I took one class this semester and it was HEALTH... Wtf was I thinkin... So I told the Prof/Dr I was going to be out for surgery and she was cool..... So I get back in class and she shows us a film called Forks over knives which pretty much is a documentary on how meat and dairy will kill you and how we can get all the Protein we need from veggies. They of course had people doing this plant based diet and the all pretty much look like what we went under the knife for...diabetes... High blood pressure whipped out.... By the end of the movie I felt like a total ass.... So I ask her at that point about the Protein I'm drinking and she says why are you drinking that. And I tell her about my bypass... And her face just dropped.... She then said for me to ask my dr about switching to a plant based diet.. But I'm telling you the look she gave me was as is I told her I had stage 4 cancer.......... I know it's too late now but I wish I had seen that flick beforehand..... I hope I haven't done something that will eventually kill me... I was trying to prolong my life.... I'm very afraid....

dont believe everything you see;) unless u kno someone tht has done tht personally then i wldnt trust it. u have made a good choice stick with it & you will get the results u need. Most peoples jaws drop about the surgery bc thier judgemental and think u dont need surgery to help you the bottom line it some people are obesr bc it has been proven to be hereditary. like my moms not over weight shes actually dtick thin my dad too but my grandmother are exreamly over weight. hope this helps

Oh the fat girl in the room... That's me at work. I need therapy just for this alone.

me too worm. ive always been the big gurl tht has the pretty face but is too fat;( i feel u lol

I have had people tell me, "you could be a model if you lost weight." I wish I was as assertive then as I am now. I would have replied, "You could be a full person if you you weren't so much of an ass!"