Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caftans- What do you think?

I am an Art teacher and I am wanting to find a garmet that would cover everything it needs to cover, look artsy, be comfortable, and wash well.

I found a Caftan top on www.bigonbatik.com that I absolutely love, but my hubby says I am not "big enough" to wear a caftan. But I am still a 2x.

We are getting into paint soon, so I am trying to come up with something.

Have figured out that I can not sew... the vests I have attempted are "less than perfect". Cobbler aprons look odd, so what do I do?

**oh and ps: if you have any old caftan tops you want to "hand down" PM me...

Why don't you try some of those printed scrubs that nurses wear. Very smock-like. They're inexpensive, come in large sizes and sometimes in nice artistic prints. (Sometimes goofy ones, too, though!)

When I paint (as a hobby - canvas, and I enjoy doing wall murals) I just wear an old pair of overalls with a tshirt underneath. The overalls are cheap, or you could even buy a used pair. I find they're very handy. I can move as much as I need to, they keep the paint off me, and there are tons of pockets.

I used to love caftans because they hid the fact that I was gaining a lot of weight. Now I love scrubs. They are comfortable and one looks pretty good in them. They come in all sorts of strange designs so they should be pretty artistic. I recommend scrubs. My brother, who really is a medical person, lives in them.

Overalls would be nice, but don't think they would be allowed, as I am not allowed to wear blue jeans.

Scrubs are nice too, but I think they look too medical for me.

****geez**** I don't know what to do.

YIKES!! :) Sweetie..... you are not as big as a house which is what one looks like in that kind of stuff! I'm glad my days of buying clothes from Omar the Tentmaker are over.... as are yours! :clap2:

I have kakhi overalls, several companies make them. Look on Ebay, also look for a big roomy mens dress shirt, toss that over a regular shirt and paint away, when you are finished toss the shirt in the wash or trash depending on the amount of paint on it. Check goodwill or local resale shops for the shirts, you could have several for probably a few dollars. ~Mandy

The casual plus web site has some beautiful things. I would wear most of those items at home or out and about. Unfortunately, I can not wear V cut things at school. I bend over to help kids and don't want to flash the world.

My best friend told me to just decorate up some cobbler aprons and go on with it. I guess I need to try that. Of course, I have one caftan in the works (I am sewing it) and I will see what that looks like. $4.00 worth of fabric is better to waste than a high price shirt any day.

Going to see how much aprons are...

One thought with a V-neck is that you can always put a tank top or cami under it. I do that a lot because too many Vs are too low, and I don't want to flash my co-workers.

I am an Art teacher and I am wanting to find a garmet that would cover everything it needs to cover, look artsy, be comfortable, and wash well.

I found a Caftan top on www.bigonbatik.com that I absolutely love, but my hubby says I am not "big enough" to wear a caftan. But I am still a 2x.

We are getting into paint soon, so I am trying to come up with something.

Have figured out that I can not sew... the vests I have attempted are "less than perfect". Cobbler aprons look odd, so what do I do?

**oh and ps: if you have any old caftan tops you want to "hand down" PM me...

Please don't wear any of these garments. They are very old-fashioned as well as being kinda fattening. I remember very big women wearing these in the early 1970s. It is best for us to Celebrate our weight losses, I think.

Why don't you get a couple of loose tops run up for yourself in denim? You can get a few pockets sewn in at the same time.

Why don't we call them what they are? They are mumus, and they make anyone wearing them look giant, even when they really aren't. My suggestion is to get scrubs. They make them now in all sorts of styles, colors, and designs. You can even find scrubs that don't look like scrubs. I know you would jsut be wearing it to paint in, but you might as well be attractive while painting.

For art teachers, hmmmm.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I love the look of peter pan collars on an art smock--kind of like an I Love Lucy type maternity top. When I went to kindergarden, my grandmother made me one and I still have the pocket appliques from it.

When I'm artistically doodling at home, I prefer a man's oversize white dress shirt.