Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Later...Not A Success Story

Hey all,

I'm really, really down. In March it will be my 1st anniversary with banded life. I'm only down 15 lbs.

;)

I got off to a rocky start due to Medicare not paying for my fill until 6 months later. I'll be going for my second fill this week. The fill tschedule did not help, I know but also an issue is that I am out of control with what I am eating. I'm eating poorly. Bad choices. I have NO discipline when it comes to eating the right and wrong things. People say "Just do it" "don't eat the junk", but it's impulsive, compulsive for me. I'm a junk food junkie.

Granted, i went through a severe depression for a large chunk of the year, but Doctors, friends and family are disappointed in my weight loss and so am I. I did this for my physical and mental health. My cholesterol is very high, asthma, GERD, etc. I was so very much hoping this band would help me lose weight.

I'm also concerned that I will do my esophagus and band harm because of poor choices in eating.

Any support would be great.

:help:

Ah Leener - so sorry.

I kinda feel your pain. Having not much discipline myself, I have only lost about 30 lbs - and I am going to hear about it from my doc tomorrow when I go in for my annual check-up.

I have to say that not having any restriction for 9 mos was really difficult for me - It took a long time to get that VG band tight enough to do any good.

The only thing I can tell you is the same stuff you already know:

1) don't shop hungry

2) don't buy junk

If it isn't there, you can't eat it... right?

If you are really concerned about damage to the esophagus, get an endo and have somebody check it for you.

I know that with little or no restriction, there just isn't that much danger of damage...

Have you had lots of PB's?? Or are you just eating everything that isn't nailed down?

Sometimes just a little bit more restriction can make all the difference. Hope that fill puts you where you need to be.

Hugs!!

Hi Renebean,

Thanks so much for your support.

I have had a few PB's. It's due to my not chewing well enough or eating too fast. So there is restriction.

But I never feel full. How can I be PBing but not feel full??;)

Well - I had that problem, sort of.

I thought I had restriction, but I didn't really. It's a fine line...

Think of the sand thru the hourglass. The middle is the band - and the smaller the hole, the longer it takes for the sand to slide thru.

Now, you forgetting to chew is a completely separate issue from how long it takes for the food to slide through to your stomach. (that hungry beast who always wants more...).

I guess if you are truly hungry only a couple of hours after eating, then you are probably close - but no cigar - on the restriction, thing.

I have been thinking about making an appt with a mental health professional - since I know I have some self-sabotage issues. I am to the point now where I don't get truly hungry very often - but I can't quite seem to make myself stop eating when I stop being hungry.

*sigh* Aside from professional help, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe in your darkest corners, you are afraid to be thin. Maybe you just need another fill and some chewing practice.

I hope you figure it out. I'll let you know if angels descend and give me the answers to the universe.

:]

Hi leenerbups I'm right there with you and renebean. I have lost about 15 pounds and I am disappointed also. Ironically renebean and I have the same surgeon and I see him next week.

My husband and I are confounded by the fact that I have not lost more weight because my portions have definitely decreased.

I am buying an elliptical machine to see if I can kick start something, ANYTHING over the next few weeks.

But it is about to drive me insane.

So I feel your pain.

Myra

Myra

I find that while I am eating less - I tend to eat lots of sauce and cream and cheesy stuff. I need to knock it off an "be good" but DANG - if I had the willpower for that, I wouldn't need the band.

For all that I haven't set the world on fire with my terrific weightloss success, I am really pretty ok with it. So, I only lost 2 pounds a month. If I continue to lose 2 lbs a month for the next 2-3 yrs, I will be a happy camper.

I am also going to purchase an elliptical machine. I know the only reason I have lost the weight that I have is due to the sporadic exercise that I have done.

If I did more of the "E" thing, I would probably lose another pound a month. Which would be ok, too.

Hugs! I will let you know if Doc Fox chews me up one side and down the other.

:]

After a year of battling this with little success scares the crap out of me. I had my surgery 4 mos. ago the 12th. i am also out of control with my eating. I am also suffering with serious boughts of depression. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I thought this would be a little easier. I never thought this would be so trying.

I have searched the internet like crazy and bought several books on the subjesct trying to motivate myself.....nothing seems to be working!!!!! I go to the doctor Wednesday, and I know he's gonna chew me out, which I totally dread!!!!! I feel like Im going to confession.....crazy..I know.

What are we supposed to do? Why does this have to be so hard? I think Im having a harder time after the band than before. Dont get me wrong Im thankful for the weight Ive lost but.....I havent lost in a month, and I know its because of my eating habits. My cloths are getting tighter and its so depressing........

Anyway, stay on this website it is such a great support system.....we'll get thru this!!!! ha ha ha ha ;):) :) :)

RB I had a slip after I went for my second fill during the time I was having extensive dental work which is almost finished. But I was on really soft foods and it was a couple of months before I found out that I had slipped. So I lost a lot of time. So they took all the Fluid etc etc.

Now I am back to 7cc in my VG as of about three weeks ago. So I am really just now getting restriction. But guess what my port is flipped almost to the point of being inaccessible. That is why I am seeing Dr. Fox next week to set up a time to go in and get it fixed.;)

So if it's not one thing it's another. But I hear you about the sauce/cheese. My favorite meal right now is sphagetti noodles, Ragu Alfredo sauce and shredded chicken.

But what is really killing me is I can't seem to let go of the pistachios.

White06 I hear you it is really a difficult battle isn't it.

Myra

Man, oh man, oh man.......I am with you on this. I studied so long, and pondered doing this surgery for so long and lost so fast at first and then a ten ton brick dropped. I have found no motivation in my soul to do what I call my four corners (portions/choices, Proteins, liquids and exercise). Proteins and liquids- easy. Exercise- yech. Portions/choices- I feel like I am crazy sometimes...eating junk that makes me feel miserable but I eat it anyway.

I made it back on the right path today so hurray for one day....right???? This stuff is hard but I will NOT give up!!!!!

Thanks for the post...I shall return!!!

THANK YOU all!

It's so good to know I'm not the only one who experiences this. I see so many success stories, and people losing so much weight the first year.

Jack, go ahead and send me a PM. Thank you! :-)

Hi leenerbups, So sorry you are not having much success:cry It is so hard sometimes making the right decision on what to eat or not eat, I fight with it daily, I just told a friend yesterday that I was so tired of dieting and excersing and making the right choices:faint: Most days I just want to eat junk. One of the main reasons I try to stay on course most days are for my 3 lil boys, I love them and I want them to have a mom that is healthier, active and most importantly alive. I was headed to an early grave the way I was going. I would suggest to you to rethink why you had wls and to work with the band and not against it :hug: I have to do the same thing.

If your Doc really will chew you out, get a different doctor.

We're all different. That's my advice, and opinion. ;-)

After a year of battling this with little success scares the crap out of me. I had my surgery 4 mos. ago the 12th. i am also out of control with my eating. I am also suffering with serious boughts of depression. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I thought this would be a little easier. I never thought this would be so trying.

I have searched the internet like crazy and bought several books on the subjesct trying to motivate myself.....nothing seems to be working!!!!! I go to the doctor Wednesday, and I know he's gonna chew me out, which I totally dread!!!!! I feel like Im going to confession.....crazy..I know.

What are we supposed to do? Why does this have to be so hard? I think Im having a harder time after the band than before. Dont get me wrong Im thankful for the weight Ive lost but.....I havent lost in a month, and I know its because of my eating habits. My cloths are getting tighter and its so depressing........

Anyway, stay on this website it is such a great support system.....we'll get thru this!!!! ha ha ha ha :):(:D:)

So sorry about your frustration! I'm not sure of your restriction level, but typically those who are restricted and eat a "real" meal don't feel hungry for several hours. Perhaps another fill might do the trick. Really restriction is the key to banded weight loss. THE MAIN KEY.

Over the course of a few days or so, try counting your calories. I use fitday.com and it give me an idea of what I am eating plus calories/nutrition.

Take care. Shawn

Leenerbups, I have been kind of down on myself because of my weight loss as well. I expected a little more, but it is my own fault. I also don't always make the best choices and exercise - what exercise? I find that the most difficult thing. I was not able to do much before the band due to severe arthritis pain, I'm doing much better now, but still not able to get myself to exercise more. I truly believe that that would make a huge difference. I did find that by drinking more Water, I lost better. I am up and down with that as well. But just the fact that I can now walk without a cane is so amazing to me that I'm happy with every pound I can find. I didn't get really good restriction until about my 4th or 5th fill, so you may just need to wait a little longer before you get there.

I'll be thinking of you and wish you all the best. I guess some of us just need to find that something special that really motivates us and gets through to us that we truly need to do this for ourselves. Hang in there and I'm sure you will find it.

I am buying an elliptical machine to see if I can kick start something,

Myra

I really think this is the key.... EXERCISE... I firmly believe that the major reason I have been successful is that I am at the gym for almost 2 hrs a day 5-7X a week. I HATED it at first, but as time went on, it became somewhat addicting. The mental aspect is a definite plus as well. If I have just been to the gym, I am so much less likely to sabbotage myself with poor choices after kicking my own ass for two hours.

When I took a gym hiatus (Thanksgiving - after New Years) my weight loss totally came to a hault. I dreaded getting back into the gym routine nd starting over, but since I forced myself to go regularly, my weight loss has started to pick up once again. It truly has made all the difference.

Don't give up, you can do it!!!!