Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No One In The Sixties?

Hi I am 61YO. I had my RNY when I was 57. I just had my 4 year Surgery Anniversary on July 2nd. I have had great results. Here are my STATS: HW 249 (I was 285 but managed to lose some over the last 6 years) SW 235 CW 130. I just gained 5#'s. I am trying not to stress out about this. I totally deserve this, I have been eating nuts big time. But now I am back on track. Man it is hard!! I still have no physical hunger at all but HEAD HUNGER is SO SO REAL!! My BMI is 23 so I am still ok. It hurts big time to have to admit this has happened to me. I know that it happens to the best of us. So onward and upward. I can do this!! As I have told others I know I can because I have what it takes cuz I have done it before. Have a great day!!

Hey there I had RNY in 2009 @ 59 years young.....would do it again in a NEW YORK minute. At this point I've had to be more careful about food choices as it can be waaay too easy to eat it all. Staying with the basics, Protein first, and not drinking with my meals keeps me on target. If I find myself up more than 5 lbs. I get on the 48 hour pouch reset...it works! My SW: 264 WL: 144 CW: 130. Seems to be a number I can stick without starving. I also attend the Support Meetings my hospital has monthly. Keeps me grounded.

I'm 60. Had RNY on 7/5/17. I'm doing great! feeling good enough to go back to work Sunday. Just now starting soft foods. chicken, good. Tina a no go! I have a shake mix that is 60 grams Protein per serving so I can drink one every day cause no way will I even get close to enough protein! I want to be able to move and keep up with grandkids! I did this for my health. It's been hard but I'm so glad I did it. Lost 30 lbs before surgery and 10 after. So I'm happy. I want to ride a bike again.

You are doing great!! But...I hate t be a DEBBIE DOWNER I have been told that our bodies can only absorb 30grams of Protein at a time. If you space it out over a period of time it might make it work out for you. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

Congratulations to all those 60 and over! I had my surgery May 19th, 2015 and am doing very well. My family was supportive but very concerned at first. I have been able to educate them on issues related to health, surgery and longevity. I have also plan the holiday meals for our family. They see me moving, exercising and running with my grandchildren, walking 8 to 13 miles, traveling more and they like my new electric sports Cadillac! I have released 100 lbs and looking for just 5 more. I live in Anchorage. Alaska and support groups are hard to find as a couple of the Bariatric Surgeons do not offer this service, and one surgeon who does offer support groups would not allow me to attend because I was not his patient! In Anchorage we now have a Bariatric Surgeon who has opened his doors to any and all who want to become a part of the monthly support group. I no longer take bp medications or pre-diabetic meds! Keep up the good work! Stay encouraged! This is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I did researched for several years before having the surgery and had absolutely no complications or pain after the surgery. By prayer and following my surgeon's directions and good common sense this has been a very successful.
Much love and success to us all.
Vickiebc

I'm 65 and having bypass on Aug 4th. I have 4 pages of questions to ask at my pre-op next week. I couldn't get insurance coverage until I started Medicare so there must be more baby boomers out there[emoji4]

9 hours ago, Deborah B said:

I'm 65 and having bypass Aug 4th

Good morning I am 65 and I had my sleeve yesterday! Waiting to go down for leak test this morning and hopefully sipping on some liquids how are you doing?

Hi all I don't think I posted in this thread before. Forgive me if I have. I had my 3 procedure surgery on Jan 26th 2016 at the age 0f 60. In addition to the sleeve, I also had a hernia repaired and my diseased gallbladder taken out. Three weeks ago I had the first of four Excess skin removal surgeries. I speak for myself when I say this yet it may apply to all of us. If this surgery is truly what you want GO FOR IT! We may take a bit longer to heal because of our age but age shouldn't stop us from getting the surgeries and living the remainder of our lives without all his excess weight and skin. I know I am happier and healthier for having done this.

I'm glad you had your skin removal surgery and you're doing well I am not even thinking anything like that it's one step at a time for me. Hope you continue on your journey of healing.

Had RNY June 2014 HW 316 CW 140 . No problems with anything and med list is comparable to yours, just blood pressure plus vit. 1 small dose metformin.
I am 69 and life could not be better[emoji108] God is good, no he's awesome [emoji16][emoji120]

Hi - I'm due for my surgery in the UK on Friday. Glad there are other 60+ members with encouraging stories. Thank you x