Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Happy With Your Decision To Have The Surgery?

People that never been over weight or are very active like my husband doesn't understand what is like to be over weight. Your not the only wife with an air head husband that says diet & exercise. I been down that road. Dudnt work long term gain double.

When did u have your surgery? You are a motivation for me. I am 3 wks post op. I have the same health issues you had. But everything is getting better.

You are doing an awesome job. Can you have a filet steak? I want one so bad. But I'll be ok.

Thanks for the kind words! Surgery was 10/20/11. Three weeks out is probably a little early for steak. Doctor post-op diet recommedations vary quite a lot but they usually don't recommend you start with "regular food" until four to six weeks out. And even then, I don't think I'd jump into steak too early. Lean ground beef would probably be a better option. When you do get to that filet (and you will!!), you'll want to be sure to take small bites and chew very well. You'll probably find that "solid protein" is much more filling than soft foods so keep the portions very small - two to three ounces. You're gonna love the new you!!

I am 5 months post op and this was the best decision I ever made. It angers me when people say surgery is the easy way out .... HELLOOOOO surgery easy way out !!!!!! NO surgery is easy. Everyone is different, men loose weight soooooo much quicker than females do. Educate him and go for it !!! No regrets here :)

Thanks for the kind words! Surgery was 10/20/11. Three weeks out is probably a little early for steak. Doctor post-op diet recommedations vary quite a lot but they usually don't recommend you start with "regular food" until four to six weeks out. And even then' date=' I don't think I'd jump into steak too early. Lean ground beef would probably be a better option. When you do get to that filet (and you will!!), you'll want to be sure to take small bites and chew very well. You'll probably find that "solid protein" is much more filling than soft foods so keep the portions very small - two to three ounces. You're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

Thanks? DL!!

I had surgery on May 2' date='2012. I am 21 years old. My starting weight was 278. I was unable to carry a child because of my weight. I was unable to run and play with my niece and nephew. I couldn't even walk upstairs without being out breath. I am now 220. I have lost 58 lbs in 3 months. I have never regretted it. I feel like a new person. Energy wise. I can't tell a big difference in appearance but I am hard on myself. It is the best thing I had ever done. I am glad I mentioned it to my doctor. I have tried everything nothing would work. Good luck[/quote']

I had my surgery on the same day as you. Good job on your weight loss. I to have lost 59 lbs. and it was the best decision I ever made.

Not everyone you know is gonna be supportive but you need to remember that this is about you and nobody else. Have your husband go with you to the Drs. My husband is worried but says he supports my decision and will be at my side. I've tried diets, diet pills, support systems, and yes I would loose some weight but as soon as I would go off of the pills, or try something else BOOM the weight goes back on. I've researched about the surgery for 2 years and decided this is a life style change that will help me forever. I'm having lap band surgery on the 26th and I won't be changing my mind.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my decision. However, you would have gotten a different answer if you had asked me in the first two months after surgery, which was a really rough period. I thought I had made a big mistake.

I am 99.99999% happy that I had the surgery. The biggest reason I had it was because of diabetes, I am no longer on insulin, but I am still on Metformin. I haven't had a drink in over 2 years (I miss it but at the same time I don't). My eyes are now open as to how unhealthy everyone around me is. They bring in donuts and Bagels all the time at work, they have candy all over the place and a healthy salad costs much, much more than an unhealthy meal at a restaurant.

It took me two years to lose 35 pounds before my surgery through diet and exercise. I had my sleeve on 8/21. Since then I have lost 45 pounds.
My PCP thought I could lose weight without the surgery. But three times in my life I have lost 75 pounds on my own only to put it back on and I was much younger then. I feel confident that with the surgery, that this time I have made a lifestyle change and when the weight comes off, it will be gone permanently as long as I exercise and continue to eat in a healthy manner.
The only regret I have about my surgery is that I didn’t do it sooner.

It’s been hard on me physically but I do not regret having gastric bypass surgery. I fought my weight alone before, fighting against metabolic disorders and total inability to exercise, while I did lose weight from 210 + to 124 lb I never met goal and despite making it a lifestyle change of low carb and calorie counting my weight wouldn’t stay stable. At some point even eating 800 calories and low carb didn’t stop my weight from suddenly skyrocketing again . When I found out I needed gallbladder surgery I started to read about bariatric surgery that I wished I’d had the first go around. Despite everything that threatened to stop it from happening it did and while I am exhausted with always fighting my weight and it’s impact on my lifelong chronic illness. I do not regret having RNY surgery and having a tool to help with the fight.

for some people they can eat normal and exercise and lose weight easy so they can’t understand why anyone would have surgery. It’s hard to really get them to understand. food is such a big part of people’s lives. i had people say I didn’t look like I needed to lose weight, of course I did at 5’ and over 206lb, it just happens to be some parts of me look bony.

But remember, their words don’t change our own person journey for WLS and our need to take it.