Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Happy With Your Decision To Have The Surgery?

I have been on the pre surgery diet for over two months. I am curious if anyone wishes they didn't have the surgery or if they would have done anything different. I am still trying to decide what to do and haven't gotten much support for having the surgery from my family or friends.

i just had surgery on 8/22 but i can say this i don't regret the choice i made to have the surgery at all is it easy NO not at all it is a lifestyle change i didn't have great support in the beginning from a couple friends i told about it because they thought it was a easy way out my wife was just scared for me because it was surgery..All in all i would rather sacrifice those friends the sacrifice my health any longer

I'm glad with my decision & I feel so happy minus saggy arms LMFAO. I feel I made the best decision. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have gotten surgery why? I did a bunch of diets but never saw a nutritionist. After now surgery I have a nutritionist. I feel I could have lost this weight with out surgery with only a nutritionist & exercise. I'm very determine & when I set my self for something I usually stick to it,but do I now regret it? No I'm very happy I just wanted to be honest with you :)

I had surgery on May 2,2012. I am 21 years old. My starting weight was 278. I was unable to carry a child because of my weight. I was unable to run and play with my niece and nephew. I couldn't even walk upstairs without being out breath. I am now 220. I have lost 58 lbs in 3 months. I have never regretted it. I feel like a new person. Energy wise. I can't tell a big difference in appearance but I am hard on myself. It is the best thing I had ever done. I am glad I mentioned it to my doctor. I have tried everything nothing would work. Good luck

I think this is the best thing I ever did

I'm 1 day post op

Feeling pretty good

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

Without a doubt the BEST thing I ever did for myself

Having doubts is very normal. Once you have surgery there becomes a new normal for you. It can take a little getting use to but once you start feeling great and getting in a good routine it becomes so much better. I didn't get the greatest support from people although my hubby has been by my side and that's what mattered most for me. I have no regrets what so ever. Even my twin brother who was 100% againste me getting the surgery came over yesterday and was like oh my goodness look at you. It made me feel so good. You do have to decide is this what you think will be best for you. Weight loss can be such a yo yo effect. That is why I choose to utilize this tool to help me lose and maintain my weight. I feel like it has give me an opportunity to retrain my eating habits and my mind. It's a tough road but if you really want to obtain maximum weight loss I feel it's the best way to go.

Surgery date 08/01/12

Hypertension - gone.

Diabetes - gone.

sleep apnea - gone.

Joint pain - gone.

High cholesterol - gone.

120 pounds - gone.

BMI - Normal (24.2).

I would do it again in a second and I would not change one thing. I'm loving the new me and you're gonna love the new you!

I had surgery on May 2' date='2012. I am 21 years old. My starting weight was 278. I was unable to carry a child because of my weight. I was unable to run and play with my niece and nephew. I couldn't even walk upstairs without being out breath. I am now 220. I have lost 58 lbs in 3 months. I have never regretted it. I feel like a new person. Energy wise. I can't tell a big difference in appearance but I am hard on myself. It is the best thing I had ever done. I am glad I mentioned it to my doctor. I have tried everything nothing would work. Good luck[/quote']

Did you have any complications or side effects? Are you able to get in all the Protein and Vitamins you need?

Thanks for all the honest answers. This would be so much easier if my husband thought it wasn't the worst idea ever. He is still of the opinion that if I start exercising like he does my weight problem would go away. I have steadily gained weight over the past 20 yearsand it is very difficult to exercise. I want to convince him that the surgery is a way to get were i want to be but right now we aren't talking about it. I am just working on my diet and getting a half hour on my exercise bike. I still have a few months to make up my mind, it helps hearing what others are rxperiencing.

Statistic say ( this is from my surgeons office) that 98% of people who lose weight on there own gain it back. That is a very high number. start showing him the statistics.

I have no doubt that your husband wants nothing but the best for you. But his reasoning that because diet and exercise work for him, it will work for you, is not supported by science. There is virtually no scientific evidence that supports the simplistic "eat less, move more" approach often given to folks has any realistic chance of success with people with a BMI of 30 or greater. If going on a diet or starting an exercise program resulted in persistent, long-term weight loss - we would not have an obesity epidemic.

This link will give you some insight into why - http://www.drsharma....or-obesity.html . This doctor is an MD and a PhD, Professor of Medicine and Chair in Obesity Research and Management at the University of Alberta, Clinical Co-Chair of the Alberta Health Services Obesity Program, founder and Scientific Director of the Canadian Obesity Network and Past President of the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons - just to name a few of his qualifications. On the same page you'll see more than a dozen other links, most related to the treatment of obesity.

This is a link to a white paper titled "Medicare's Search for Effective Obesity Treatments - Diets Are Not the Answer" - http://motivatedandf...s_dont_work.pdf . There is a considerable amount of information in this paper, much of it quite technical. But the following is a quote from the paper which sums up their findings relative to diet and exercise: "First, diets do lead to short term weight loss. One summary of diet studies from the 1970's to the mid-1990's found that these weight loss programs consistently resulted in participants losing an average of 5% to 10% of their weight. Second, these loses are not maintained. As noted in one review, 'It is only the rate of weight regain, not the fact of weight regain, that appears open to debate."

Another study found that virtually 100% of obese patients that successfully lost weight with diet and exercise regained all of the lost weight, or more, within one year. A fact that will come as no surprise to the majority of folks reading this post!

Now compare all of that to gastric bypass statistics: average excess weight loss for RNY is 80% with 50% - 75% maintained at five years post-op. According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, bariatric surgery can improve or resolve more than 30 obesity related conditions including Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, hypertension, and high cholesterol. Again, I do not question the motives of friends, family and spouses that think diet and exercise are the answer. I do question the validity of their position. And challenge anyone to present any scientific, objective evidence demonstrating any non-surgical option that has an equal or better long-term success rate for the treatment of obesity and the many serious co-morbidities associated with it.

This is my second day post op and I'm feeling a little stiffness and fullness

But I would do it all over in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

Yeah you can't really make him agree but he should atleast support you. Tell him you couple stop complaining about yourself and finally be happy. He may say u can exercise, but for some people it isn't that easy!! It's something u can't explain just something u know within yourself.

Hypertension - gone.

Diabetes - gone.

sleep apnea - gone.

Joint pain - gone.

High cholesterol - gone.

120 pounds - gone.

BMI - Normal (24.2).

I would do it again in a second and I would not change one thing. I'm loving the new me and you're gonna love the new you!

When did u have your surgery? You are a motivation for me. I am 3 wks post op. I have the same health issues you had. But everything is getting better.

You are doing an awesome job. Can you have a filet steak? I want one so bad. But I'll be ok.