Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2010 Lapband Removed, 7/11/12 Rny Completed...

Hi Folks I wasn't sure how to start this thread but, I wanted to let folks know who are going for a revision that even though the lapband isn't in right now, it's still considered a revision if you've had a lapband before. Main reason...the flap they used to hold the band to your stomach may still be there which can cause complications with RNY surgery or cause changes to have to be considered. I asked my surgeon how things looked - I was told my liver adhered to my stomach so she had to partial unstick it from each other so she could do the RNY. Then the flap was still in place on my stomach so she had to undo that or give me a bigger pouch. She undid it but, I still have to have a slightly bigger pouch than someone who hasn't had either surgeries before because there was scarring on my stomach and she wanted to make sure she could close the staples. Because of all this "extra" work I have more bruising than usual and I have to have a drain in longer than usual. I have to say the drain doesn't hurt but, it is...well....yucky to have to tote around. I have to empty it 4 times a day and change the bandage where it goes into my abdominal wall or it will leak. It has leaked because the gauze got to wet with the fluids coming out. the tape stuff holding it all together is a pip to get off and reapply but, I"m doing it. I'm really bruised up on my left side, that side most folks complain about because that is the incision most of the work is done from so a lot of bruising does happen. Lots of Heprin shots too which thins your blood so the heprin will cause brusing to happen more easily as well. Other than those two things I'm doing ok.

Lots of gurgling going on in my intestines to say the least and sometimes they get a bit crampy but, it passes. Water has to go down slowly and I have to make sure there are no air bubbles becasue I found the bubbles make the sip of water hurt in my pouch. I'm able to get a shake down so I've had at least 25 grams today so far...I'l have to work on another shake in a bit just to try to get to 50 if I can for now. I do feel as if my stomach wants to hick-up which gets a tad uncomfortable until I can calm them down.

I've slept alot the past few days but, that's to be expected and I did walk quite often while in the hospital because I knew it was better for me.

I'm excited about my new begining but, scared too. I've done so much research, I've been to meetings and had conversations with my surgeon, therapist, nutritionist, read books, did online work etc. So although I'm scared because, heck, I've tried to lose weight with every diet under the sun including the lapband and still here I am with yet another surgery. My surgeon states she's never seen it not work so that made me feel better plus I've taken the necessary steps in finding my own "food" issue therapist and will continue to see her thought recovery and after. She keeps me thinking :) I'm not worried about losing a friend in food....I'm more concerned that I have the tools in place to replace it and I believe I do.

What's really great is I have total support from my 22 year old son and my wonderful husband. THAT is a big thing and the best. The hours after my surgery my husband was with me and said "welcome to the beginning of your new life, love" :) ~~Thank you John, I love you very much!

So I'm here with you all, learning and helping each other and I very much appreciate a website/forum available to come to. Anyone considering the revision, It sounds scary but, I can only tell you it's been ok so far for me. Was I scared....HECK YES! All things should be considered prior to having the surgery!

I'm excited......I'm going to do this.........why....because this time........I'm LosingItForMe :)

I am so glad to hear your doing good losingitforme!!!! This post is great for those out there that are having the revision!! Very informative. Each persons story helps so many people its crazy to think about. Your so positive!! Truly an inspiration.

YEAH YEAAAHHH for you!!!

So happy to hear its done and you're doing well!!! Best of luck and I'll e stalking you as I prep for bypass next year!

Good for you :)

So glad your doing pretty good.

Glad you're doing well. I am in that situation right now.. dstollery said it all. Your info is very informative and I need to hear that right now. My band has stopped working. Wheather I contributed to that or not (I don't know) but my Dr.said that it is no longer working for me. I've had my issues with it and no weight loss in 2 yrs :( I still have the co-mobilities I had before banding and My insurance will pay for the bypass, but BOY Oh BOY am I afraid. As you said I've done every diet too! over and over w/o success. Oh well, as soon as I can get the band taken out I'm almost sure of regaining some weight back. At that point I would give the bypass a serious thought. I hate to sound so negative about regaining, but thats one of my biggest fears. Because of my diabetes, for me I don't lose w/o help. It's been proven in the past.