Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest Pains?! Help:(

I got my band on January 25th and ever since i've gotten home I've had some awful chest pains! Pressure in my chest that comes and goes... How long does this stay? What can i do to prevent them? :confused:Advice would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure this is the gas. I had this feeling like my stomach would expand but I felt it in my chest. It was very uncomfortalbe. I just kept on taking Gas X strips. How do you feel if you walk?

Does it sound like what I felt or are you saying it hurts in your chest as in your heart?

If that is the case, you need to call your doctor asap.

If it is the gas pressure, it goes away within a week, at least for me it did.

Oh okay, maybe it's that .. the gas. When I walk I feel a little light headed sometimes. The Gas X strips aren't helping me too much though. Is there anything else I can do? It's a pressure feeling in my chest that comes up .. maybe every 5-15 minutes.

Oh okay, maybe it's that .. the gas. When I walk I feel a little light headed sometimes. The Gas X strips aren't helping me too much though. Is there anything else I can do? It's a pressure feeling in my chest that comes up .. maybe every 5-15 minutes.

Isabella, I was also banded on the 25th. I am very restricted and I also have terrible gas pains. I honestly thought I was going to lose it yesterday. However, today they are not as intense as yesterday. I used the gas strips, suggested by another bandster and that helped.

I am also very restricted so I am using a baby spoon and just taking little sips of liquids. I can't even get in an ounce of liquid without feeling like I'm going to throw up.

This is only our second day after surgery. I've decided to give it a another day or so. If I'm not better by Monday, I'm calling my doctor.

Edie

I right there with you..I was banded on January 23 and those gas bubbles keep coming up. The first days I couldn't keep anything down. Now I can but those pains keep coming. Didn't know I could try Gas X I will be getting some real soon!!! Yeay...

Isabella my Nurse told me to lay flat when I get them so they can pass. That seems to work the best for me. Although sometimes I can't move at all and I burp out as much as I can. I am not getting them as bad as a couple of days ago. I sure hope they are gone soon. Good Luck everyone.

Keep Posting its helping me out a lot :scared:

I was banded on January 19, 2007 and I have had those pains too! I have also had trouble getting down adequate Fluid and food (pureed). Today was my best day at 25oz. This is so hard. I am thirsty!

I did contact my Doctor's who promply sent me for a Barium Esophogram even though their feeling was that I was on the "outer edge of normal"

I was so upset and fearful of doing the esopghogram because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to drink enough barium, but I followed my Dr's orders and drank one small sip at a time and held it in my mouth a few seconds before swalling. It went well, and my Dr. is reveiwing the films himself Monday. (The Doctor who did the test thought that all was okay)

Once I got home from the test, I let out a series of burps, and the pain lifted! Now I wait for Monday morning.

No one told me that I was going to have this much restriction for so long after surgery. Will that diminish?

I had that same feeling of pressure all around and then after day 3 it was much better. I was banded on the 23rd. I still get an occassional feeling of needing to burp and I can't. I try some deep breathing and for some reason that helps me. Maybe because I give the gas another place to move off to? lol :scared:

I was banded on January 19, 2007 and I have had those pains too! I have also had trouble getting down adequate Fluid and food (pureed). Today was my best day at 25oz. This is so hard. I am thirsty!

I did contact my Doctor's who promply sent me for a Barium Esophogram even though their feeling was that I was on the "outer edge of normal"

I was so upset and fearful of doing the esopghogram because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to drink enough barium, but I followed my Dr's orders and drank one small sip at a time and held it in my mouth a few seconds before swalling. It went well, and my Dr. is reveiwing the films himself Monday. (The Doctor who did the test thought that all was okay)

Once I got home from the test, I let out a series of burps, and the pain lifted! Now I wait for Monday morning.

No one told me that I was going to have this much restriction for so long after surgery. Will that diminish?

You should try popsicles. On my post-op diet it allows me to have sugar-free popsicles. That should help take away some thirst- liquid in a solid form, it won't fill you up so quickly because it has to melt. You should try it... it makes me feel better:).

I had that same feeling of pressure all around and then after day 3 it was much better. I was banded on the 23rd. I still get an occassional feeling of needing to burp and I can't. I try some deep breathing and for some reason that helps me. Maybe because I give the gas another place to move off to? lol :scared:

Yeah, same when i get the pressure/gas thing in my chest i try to burp to relieve myself but i can't. This is the 4th day after my surgery and I'm still getting it. Sometimes it's like a hick-up feeling it comes up then stays up in the chest area for 3 sec - can't breathe and then after those seconds i have to gasp for air. I can't wait until this gas goes away!.. And yeah! I wish all of this gas would come out of a different, less painful place! LOL:nervous

All that gas chest pain... I had it too. I am 6 days out, and I can honestly say this is the first day I have not had any. Hang in there everyone. It will pass! My secret weapon was chewable gas-x.

I was banded on the 24th and I also have those pains. They radiate to my back which makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit or lie in any position. I did figure out though that if you lay on your side and do some deep breathing, it seems to help ALOT!

I was banded on the 24th and I also have those pains. They radiate to my back which makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit or lie in any position. I did figure out though that if you lay on your side and do some deep breathing, it seems to help ALOT!

Thanks!! I'm going to try that!:confused:

I have not been banded but have had laproscopis and dealt with the gas- I have had those chest pains, they are terrible. I hated those- they feel so crushing. And it is hard to want to get up but the more I got up and walked the better they got. Not very reassuring, huh? (when I hurt all I want to do is lay still, and people were trying to talk me into walking!).

get some gas medicine, and walk when you can and know that every day they will get better and better. just pretend that weight on your chest is a big pile of clothes that are too big for you now! :D

I was banded on Jan 19 and stayed out of work for a week. No one told me of the pain I would have, so I felt very uncomfortable. Chewed the Gas-x and would stretch my arms over my head to assist digestion and burps. The pain was in my back and shoulder, also. Post-Op pain, which they never explained to me with any laprosopic surgery I have ever had (1 other on knee). Don't worry, it does go away after about 7-10 days. I feel fine and am suposed to still be on liquid (thicker this week). Slim Fast in am. I hope to start on some Protein this Friday and expect to feel more satisfied. I am starting to feel more hunger these last two days. I know I will be ready for a fill by the 16th of Feb. Just feel tire going back to work. I am positive this will pass. Hope this helps.

:cry So today I finally get my Dr. on the phone, and he tells me that my band is too tight because of swelling and I have a distended lower stomache! He put me on Reglan, and told me that if the band doesn't loosen he will have to go in thru my esophogus and try to stretch it! I have never had a problem with my stomache emptying and no I am not diabetic.

I am miserable and have had nothing but problems. I have not thrown up, nor have I even slimed, but I have been "stuck" twice on pureed foods, and now have to have a liquid diet only for a while.

Anyone hear of this situation? Any words of wisdom? I guess if my stomache starts emptying properly and the band loosens I will be fine, but....