Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the band a "secret"???

I told my sister since she has to pick me up from the hospital and look after my dog during my overnight stay. I also told my Supervisors at work. Everyone has been supportive.

My parents are out of town for a couple of months which works well for me since my mother would try to talk me out of it and/or she would tell everyone she knows. I'm being banded on 2/15 so I should be back to normal and maybe even a little thinner when they get back which will help.

Sharon

I chose to tell quite a few people, especially at work. I think it will help with my accountability to myself. More people at work have had the bypass which I personally felt was not a healthy choice. This option is less known so if I can tell people about it and be a 'poster child' for the cause maybe then they can make the same choice to help themselves. It is a personal decision though. The good thing about the band is the loss is slower so you really don't have to tell people if you don't want to.

my extended family is the least supportive and least nurturing environment one can imagine. Even if they found out, with a picture of me in surgery smiling and holding up a card with my name on it, id deny it. Its none of their business.

my immediate family however is all over it. My husband is supportive, my three sons are very supportive (one has wieght issues in the same pattern as i did at his age) and Ive told my best friend of ten years. Since im having my surgery so far away from my family, she (bf) is coming to help drive me back from surgery and take care of me for two days.

I love everything Jack writes by the way. What a GREAT perspective hes got and i wish i knew him in real life. I think, that if someone came to me that was obese and i thought the information would help them, and i could trust them, then yeah i dont think id have a problem talking to them about it....but joe schmoe is on a "dont need to know" status.

I was torn between wanting to tell everyone and not wanting to say a word but the blabbermouth part of me took over because I've been following this procedure for three or four years and when my company finally switched insurances I decided to go for it. I have to admit, there is a lady I work with that I have found myself incredibly frustrated with because she won't tell ANYONE how she has lost. She in her 40 or 50 about 5' even and has always been VERY large then all the sudden small. I've emailed her to congratulate her and tell her how great she looks and asked her how she did it and she has chosen to completely ignore me about it, where as the other 6 people at work have discussed it with me and given me advice on fighting BCBS if neccessary. I think because of that I have decided to go ahead and tell EVERYONE so that if there's another one of me out there that needs help and advice I'll be there to lead them 'to the light' so to speak. I find myself when I tell people saying.."now this ISN"T the bypass surgery.. you know.. the extreme surgery where they cut and reroute everything". seems like when I tell them that and explain this and HOW it works they are like OH>> wow.. neat. My DH and I collectively know 5 people that had the bypass and they all gained it back plus some so naturally his family was a little concerened and it took some convincing of my DH but now every one is behind me 100% and actually very excited for me.

"Always leave get well cards on your mantel, that way when guests come over, they'll think you've been sick:sick and unable to clean."

:hippie:Blessings & Fae Kisses :kiss2:

:laugh First Consult: 1/3, 2007

:cry Viewed online 'seminar' 1/3

:thumbs_up: psych eval test 1/3

:scared: Appt to discuss Psych eval results 1/15

:clap2: Dr. Morton's office called to tell me they faxed my 300+ pages to BCBS

:faint: waiting.. waiting and well.. waiting some more:pout:

:high5: :peace: Insurance approval________?:dance: :laugh :banana

first meeting with internist at surgeons office ____?

Surgery date_______?:nervous

My family and friends definitely know. There were only 2 coworkers that I told . One was a good friend and the other one was my boss. I trusted both of them.

I told my husband and one close friend/neighbor, but I doubt I'll ever tell anyone else. I am very private and don't feel like it's anyone's business but mine. If I lose a lot of weight and people ask I'll keep it simple, I eat less and exercise b/c I have more energy. I find other people much more open then I am though.........

Gretchen

surgery date 2/23/07

I am an open book (as evidenced by my website :)) I tell anyone who asks. Thats me and my personality though and I am comfortable with that decision. You have to do what makes you comfortable. There have been some good by-products of my being so open (in my opinion) For one, I have been able to "pay it forward" and help those who were seeking answers. They know I had it and have come to me for help in making their own decision about WLS. The other thing for me is that I have been better about eating because people know. If I am in a group and tempted to make a bad food choice, I will be good because I know what others would think. Some may not like that, but for me it has helped. The main thing is to do what you are comfortable with. :)

I only told my dh, and three kids, and my three sisters before the surgery. After, I told one friend. All have been OK with it. I like the idea of "paying it forward" to help someone in the future. If an overweight person would ask me , how I did it (mind you, although I've lost almost 30 lbs, no one has noticed) I would gladly share the info. If a skinny person asked (esp one of those who asked when I was due, when I wasn't pregnant) I'd make something up.

I thank god every day I only told my boyfriend who is my lifetiime companion/support and one close friend - since I've not lost any weight I would've died with the scrutiny of others - looking at me like a failure. My feeling even at the beginning is you can always tell someone LATER - even if it's two years afterwards - but once you tell you cannot take it back.

My husband is supportive. My close female friends are supportive.

My family on the other hand....the opposite. My parents think I'm

crazy to be having this done...and think I should be able to lose

the weight myself. Hmmmm....this coming from 2 obsese people

with diabetes, heart problems, varicose veins,sleep apnea,arthritis,

etc. They have made many rude comments already. Whatever,they've always been this way. I'm doing this for me. I'm doing this to be healthier, live longer,and enjoy my life more. I told my co-workers. They can be very petty and so I fiqured since they'll be talking about me anyway, I

might as well let them hear the truth from my mouth rather than

have a bunch of different rumors flying around once I start losing

weight. I've worked there almost 14 years now. 12 of which I have

been in the obsese weight range so I don't need them thinking I'm on

crack...lol. I'm only using a week and 1/2 of vacation time for the surgery. I could have made up a story but why? I'm not ashamed of

having this surgery.

I have told pretty much everybody I know that I care about, some that I really dont even care about. I am a very open person and it really does not bother me if people talk about it. The people who ask how much have you lost, that only lasts for a while, then it is old news and they are over it. I find that we make things so much more important in our own minds than they really are to the rest of the world. It becomes old news pretty quickly and they are off for the "new" news. Do what makes you feel comfortable, if you want to tell- go... tell. If you dont, then it is nobody's business but yours. Either decision is good, if it is good for you.

I told immediate family once I had made my decision, as for others- i did not hide the fact but did not openly volunteer the information pre op. Afterwards, my eating patterns etc were signficantly different- i was asked about it and was open about. I must be lucky because I never had any negative comments at the time

I told my immediate family-husband and kids,my dad,sister,brother and 2 friends- that was it! My main reason was that I was afraid if it didn't work then I would be judged. If all goes well, I might tel them at a later date.

I just had my consultation today and I am sure this is what I want to do. I have told my husband and my best friend. I am still trying to decide if I should tell anyone else. I don't feel like I need opinions from anyone unless they have weight issues like I do.