Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Approved For June

This has been a long road. I tried for this surgery 7 years ago but lost too much weight and they denied it.So I went back last August and after all the classes and everything and losing only 10 pounds (was afraid to lose too much this time) I was told my surgery might not get approved cause I lost too little! Ugh... Anyway they did approve it, but daily I have this fear that they will change their mind. It was horrible when they called me and told me they had to push the surgery back a week, but at least it wasn't canceled.

Now I worry I will fail and not lose the weight or gain it back. How do I cope with the constant fear I can't really share with my spouse (just don't want him to worry) and move forward? I read so much of people losing so slowly it seems like nothing or of people gaining it all back in a few years. Ugh... I've wanted this for so Iong.

I am in the same boat with you. I dont think we will relax until it actually happens. Lol I lost a lot of weight 2 1/2 yrs ago and although I had considered the surgery I didnt know enough about it, was affraid of it and what others would think. My husband had the RNY 2yrs ago, not many people knew and his family thought it was too risky. He did great-we both looked wonderful for our wedding. Then I re-gained about 40 of the 70 I lost. He's only gained about 5-10. But he doesnt try-that will change when I have my surgery because I've been guilty of allowing junk back in the house. My family still doesnt know-I dont want them thinking I failed, either keeping it off or losing it after having the surgery. Bad I know-but they're 120 miles away so it's not like I have to mention it. Also have that concern of jinxing it-still not 100% approved.

My parents live all the way across country from me and we barely talk and the inlaws live 2 states away in Utah ( we are in California) so I don't plan on advertising my surgery either. Why do people have to be so judgmental? I might have to tell some people because my daughter is getting married 2 weeks after the surgery, but I'm trying not to tell too many! My parents aren't coming. I am also hoping I will good enough for the wedding- that adds another stressor!!!

Glad to hear your husband is doing so well- that's what we all want, health, vitality and confidence from feeling good in our own skin. When is your surgery scheduled? I keep fluctuating from pure excitement to fear. Haha

Am I crazy. But I went to the thrift store and bought a variety of clothes to shrink down into! That was fun!!

I think its great that you're thinking positively. I stopped buying clothes because I'm just sick of the way I look in them & the style of bigger stuff. I plan to suffer in what I've got until I lose, lol. If I've learned anything from forums & youtube, make sure the goal you set is reasonable-like one size clothing down at a time in a reasonable amount of time. I am still terrified of that denial letter-but holding on to hope like everyone else that's waiting here.

Oops, forgot you asked about my date. It's tentatively scheduled for 5/22/12, contingent on insurance approval; pre-op is 5/16/12. ::taking a deep breath::

Good luck can't wait to hear about your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I think its great that you're thinking positively. I stopped buying clothes because I'm just sick of the way I look in them & the style of bigger stuff. I plan to suffer in what I've got until I lose' date=' lol. If I've learned anything from forums & youtube, make sure the goal you set is reasonable-like one size clothing down at a time in a reasonable amount of time. I am still terrified of that denial letter-but holding on to hope like everyone else that's waiting here.[/quote']

I'm suffering in my old clothes as well. Its nice to watch me not look so stuffed into them! Lol. I had to buy new bras because I have large boobs ans its important that they sit properly...I'm down to wearing my tightest pair of jeans which are now loose and I've been making holes in my belt so that it'll fit properly. I've moved the hole twice. About 4 inches inward! Yay! Not buying anything new till I absolutely HAVE to: )

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Think positive. I'm sure you will be approve.

Yes I just bought random sizes but none smaller than 16. Figure for sure I will eventually make it to a size 16. I bought them now because the shrinking process is going to be so expensive and buying from a thrift store is chancy since you never know what they will have- and don't want to have to purchase fr on target etc. will buy bras new as I need them and plan on staying I. My current clothes until I drop down to size 20- currently at 24/26.

Hope your surgery date goes through- when will you hear for sure?

Awesome-I'm excited for you. I tried calling today, but waited too late and the ins. person for the office was gone for the day. :(

Did you get a hold of the insurance person yesterday? Waiting for that aporoval is horrible!! How dare they go home from work!! Don't they know you want an answer? Haha

Odiemom, for what it's worth my surgeon told me when I was approved for RNY that regardless of how much weight I lost pre-op, the insurance company could not reverse their decision - it is against the law. She didn't say if that law is federal or state (I'm in California) but since you've been approved, I think you can take that worry off your list!! :)

Awesome-I'm excited for you. I tried calling today' date=' but waited too late and the ins. person for the office was gone for the day. :([/quote']

Did u get the OK yet? I truly hope so...good luck with that!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Yes last time I tried this I was denied so never got approval due to losing too much. In pre stage before packet was sent in for approval! But this time I've been approved. But I read somewhere, I think in this forum, that if I gain weight they might cancel surgery - does the worry ever end? Probably not until you wake up and surgery is over!! But then we worry if we will lose enough or gain it back or have complication. Rofl...

Not sure that you ever stop worrying entirely. But I'm also not sure that's a bad thing. What I am sure of is the more you lose the more confident you become and the more confidence you gain the less you worry. They told me the same thing - fail to lose the required weight pre-op and they would cancel the surgery. Talk about motivation! You'll do great and you're gonna love the new you!!