Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling Work About Needing Time Off For Surgery

Great question! I took 1wk and I hope that will be enough to recuperate...my surgery date is 04/02/2012 - Good luck!

Well keep me posted!! Good Luck :)

Just to give you an idea depending on what you do for work, I'm a stay at home mom and I was good to go the Monday after my surgery! I also had my surgery on a Tuesday got out on Friday and that Saturday I was out and about taking the kids skating but walking was slow at first and sometimes painful but nothing a Tylenol wouldn't help....I also never filled my pain meds so that also kinda gives you an idea.

I would ask ur surgeon about that because my surgeon makes everyone take 5 weeks off no matter what job u have.

I am having surgery April 17 and my doctor said minimum 4 weeks. I drive one hour to work and one hour back and he is concerned with blood clots in my legs from all that sitting. He wants me up and active.

I a critical care emt I do heavy lifting and they told me about 4 weeks I'll b out for. And that's for the gastric bypass. Which to me I thought I'd b out longer but nope so that's nice!

My surgery is on April 20th and i'm a vet tech and do a lot of lifting, bending etc so I have myself covered for 4 weeks although i hope i can go back after two or three.

I was told 2 wks and it ended up 3 mts. My doctor made me fill out the federal leave papers...so glad I did when I had problems.

I took two weeks off but being that my surgery is on a Wednesday I will actually have close to 20 days off counting weekends before I plan to return. That is the longest I have been off of work for any reason.

Edited by ACLakey

Keep in mind your insides are healing even if you don't have much pain! A lady at work came back early, after one week cause she said she felt fine. Later that week she left by ambulance. Get job wasn't bad ono lifting n such but her system went I'm too shock, it was just too early the doc said. She had to be off 4 mos because she damaged her internal sutures moving around too much.

Please takE off the time you need!.major surgery its nothing to play with! Also being too active too soon can cause other problems you dont realize at first...

Keep in mind your insides are healing even if you don't have much pain! A lady at work came back early, after one week cause she said she felt fine. Later that week she left by ambulance. Get job wasn't bad ono lifting n such but her system went I'm too shock, it was just too early the doc said. She had to be off 4 mos because she damaged her internal sutures moving around too much.

Please takE off the time you need!.major surgery its nothing to play with! Also being too active too soon can cause other problems you dont realize at first...

I work with young children and I took just over 3 weeks off work, and when I went back I did not lift the children up or push buggies etc until my 6 week check when my surgeon gave me the all clear to do so :-) x