Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching from band to RNY Gastric Bypass (Pre-Op)

Hello everyone!

I had joined this site because I was in the process of getting the lapband....

Well today I had my 'official' consult with the surgeon and he really believes that the Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass is my best option due to my weight.

I had mixed emotions about it but now that I have reviewed everything and talked with my family I do agree with what he had to say.

So my question is----why have you changed from the band to the Gastric Bypass?

I also want to point out how glad I am that there is a forum on here for us who started out as 'bandsters' because I have made some friends on these forums already and did not want to leave :-)

My band was making me sick as a dog for reasons unknown. I spent two solid years eating nothing but Soup, salad and oatmeal, throwing up multiple times a day, and NOT losing any weight. Contrary to what I was told pre-op, the band does not curb your hunger. If anything, I found it made it worse by the fact that only slider foods would go down and they don't sit in your stomach to give you the full feeling. Four or five envelopes of watery oatmeal add up over the course of a day to give you calories and silence the stomach grumbles temporarily, but don't provide you proper nutrition. Finally I was becoming so malnourished that it had to come out and something done in its place. I would have preferred the sleeve to the RNY, but OHIP currently doesn't fund the sleeve, and I cannot afford another self-pay.

WOW! How are you doing now?

i had the lapband 2yrs and 10months ago. and have not lost the weight i need to. have GERD since the band placement and having starting to gain weight since they removed the Fluid and replaced some fluid it doesnt work the same. i have 2 exercise 2hrs a day 5 days a week to lose a pound.

I was banded April 2008 and has RNY revision surgery in August of this year. I wish I would have had RNY - so I can get behind your decision not to do the Band...it was a nightmare - I lost weight initially but ended up gaining back my weight and had esophagus complications as well as Gerd.

Good luck...I started out on this forum and was very active on LBT as well...I've posted some to other forums out there but they feel kinda "clicky" and if you aren't a vet there, then you aren't accepted (just my opinion). I haven't posted here in a while because it was dorment for a while...seems since post-op things have picked up, which I feel is awesome!

glad to have found this site! I too was banded in april of 08, lost a grand total of about 40 lbs, completely on my own, not b/c of the band. Saw a surgeon today & we've decided to look into band removal to gastric bypass. I'm so excited to see others in my situation!!! I felt like such a failure for the past 3 years. Are you happy with your decision Leslie??? Thanks for being a welcoming bander/gastric bypass friend!

Hello everyone, I too had the lapband and I was actually a moderator for Alex on LapBandTalk but, ended up leaving shortly after my band was removed in emergency surgery. Initially the band was put in Feb of 2006, I had revision do to a slip in Dec 2008 then I had the band removed in Feb 2010. I couldn't have revision surgery then because my stomach was inflamed and like I said it was an emergency. I was in Radiology for a swallow study after days of intense reflux and feeling like I was cooking from the inside out...during the testing we immediately saw that no Fluid was leaving my stomach. In the end, the radiology report stated the band that was once facing my left shoulder, was then facing my left foot. Out it had to come and that day, they even called my surgeon while he was in surgery. I went through a whirlwind of emotions and here I am a year and a half later realizing bypass is for me. The first year with my band I lost 80 pounds then all the trouble started. With that trouble I went up in weight with all the unfills etc and now I'm up 53 pounds. UGH!

So tomorrow is my first day back to the bariatric center....to start the process. I'm seeing the Director of the center for an exam, a nurse for evail, bloodwork, nutrionist and the social worker. I hope it all works out and I can go through the process quickly. I want to begin my new journey.

I hope too that things become active here. I know I will be participating for sure. Sites like this help so much and I'd love a buddy to walk the journey with.

glad to have found this site! I too was banded in april of 08, lost a grand total of about 40 lbs, completely on my own, not b/c of the band. Saw a surgeon today & we've decided to look into band removal to gastric bypass. I'm so excited to see others in my situation!!! I felt like such a failure for the past 3 years. Are you happy with your decision Leslie??? Thanks for being a welcoming bander/gastric bypass friend!

I couldn't be happier with my decision. I had a tougher recovery than most but Ido not regret it for a minute. Don't feel like a failure...I know so many people that their band has failed them. It isn't for everyone - things go wrong and the longer time passes the more horror stories I hear. I too was banded in April 2008 - and strugged for the majority of the time. How'd the appointment go?

Hello everyone, I too had the lapband and I was actually a moderator for Alex on LapBandTalk but, ended up leaving shortly after my band was removed in emergency surgery. Initially the band was put in Feb of 2006, I had revision do to a slip in Dec 2008 then I had the band removed in Feb 2010. I couldn't have revision surgery then because my stomach was inflamed and like I said it was an emergency. I was in Radiology for a swallow study after days of intense reflux and feeling like I was cooking from the inside out...during the testing we immediately saw that no Fluid was leaving my stomach. In the end, the radiology report stated the band that was once facing my left shoulder, was then facing my left foot. Out it had to come and that day, they even called my surgeon while he was in surgery. I went through a whirlwind of emotions and here I am a year and a half later realizing bypass is for me. The first year with my band I lost 80 pounds then all the trouble started. With that trouble I went up in weight with all the unfills etc and now I'm up 53 pounds. UGH!

So tomorrow is my first day back to the bariatric center....to start the process. I'm seeing the Director of the center for an exam, a nurse for evail, bloodwork, nutrionist and the social worker. I hope it all works out and I can go through the process quickly. I want to begin my new journey.

I hope too that things become active here. I know I will be participating for sure. Sites like this help so much and I'd love a buddy to walk the journey with.

I hope that your consult and appointment went well today! I'm a revision as well - due to reflux/gerd issues with the band...it was actually quite an ordeal, but sounds nothing like what you went through. Please let us know how your appointment went.

Appointments went great and have an ultrasound scheduled for next week. Just an information session to attend, that ultrasound and pass in a 4 day food journal and I'm done with my part. Then we wait and see if I'm accepted as a candidate for RNY and the date will be set. I'm excited and nervous has heck as well. This is major surgery for sure so not to be taken lightly but, I'm excited to know I'm in the process of getting help to the healthier me.

Oh I went through hell with my lapband for sure. It's a wonderful tool if it doesn't slip on ya but, boy oh boy once it does...forget about it! I'll never get those years back!

I hope everyone stays active here. I'm looking forward to traveling this journey with you.

There is a new tab that has groups. Should we create one?

I was banded in June 2008. I did quite well (113 pounds) until tragedy (for me, at the time) struck. My band eroded. I will be having RNY most likely the beginning of the year.

I am a bit angry, because I had to self pay cash for my band (9K+). Now I have to pay (through Kaiser, a completely different insurance company) 30 % of this surgery. This is going to be between 7-10K. For that I could have self payed for a bypass and not had to deal with all this BS the last almost 4 years. :angry:

I am happy, nonetheless that I am moving on and able to have my bypass :D

I have to do a 6 week class, this is starting at 4PM Halloween evening (great timing, huh?) Also have to see a psychologist this coming Tuesday, and went today for a nicotine check.

Onwards and upwards.. or downwards with my weight, I guess I should say.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. I also was a frequent contributor to LBT, so I am looking forward to making this my new obsession :rolleyes:

Banded 06/26/08

Band removed due to erosion 02/08/11

Put on waiting list for bypass mid March 11

psych evaluation 10/25/11

first 6 week class 10/31/11

surgery date TBD

Welcome KayleighsMommy. Sounds like we all had a rough go with our bands. My prolasps really badly twice with the final time it being so bad fluids wouldn't move at all.

I'm glad we're all here on the journey together and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome KayleighsMommy. Sounds like we all had a rough go with our bands. My prolasps really badly twice with the final time it being so bad fluids wouldn't move at all.

I'm glad we're all here on the journey together and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hey losing. Glad we will be on the journey together too. Got my surgery date yesterday. I am scheduled for Dec, 20th. It is going to take a bit longer than a usual bypass because even though I no longer have my band it is considered a revision surgery.

I'm so happy! I have been sick the last 2 yrs w/ my band, but now I was cleared for the bypass is 4 days. Band out on 10/08/12 and bypass will be 11/22/2012. YAY!!!!!

Great I'm happy for you

R

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk