Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guess I'll Go First!

Hi to all who come after me!

My story, huh? Well, I've been overweight for 20 years now, and I've tried a lot of diets, exercise programs, and have had only marginal success. Two years ago I took the next step for me and had the Lap Band Surgery. That wasn't a good experience for me at all. The "minor" reflux I had pre-surgery turned into a monster, and I was always either too tight or not tight enough... and that was in the same day. After two years of foaming, vomiting, and spitting my way through practically every meal, I decided it was time to take control of my life again. At first, I was just going to have the band removed, but when I learned about revision from band to RNY, and how common it was, I found the courage to go through with it.

I had my surgery June 3rd, 2011. It has been a rough recovery, but I'm happy to say it's getting better every single day. I'm excited about my future again, and can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store for me!

Hi I'm teri. I am also a band to bypass revision. I'm 5 1/2 months post op, and loving life with my bypass. Like you I had significant problems with the band. I have issues with Constipation, but that's something I can work with.

Nice to meet you.

Teri

How are you doing? My recovery from the bypass was easy. I dare say easier than mine from my band. Only thing is I had an ulcer form on my bowel 6 weeks later, and start bleeding. It was because of adhesions. I lost 6 cms of my bowel because of it. They cleaned up what they could of adhesions, and I've been good since. Other than the Constipation. That is a big issue. But I don't eat much at all. Most days I can't even get two ounces of meat/food at a time. My body is often in starvation mode.

well my dog is yelling to go out. So I'll go now.

teri

How are you doing? My recovery from the bypass was easy. I dare say easier than mine from my band. Only thing is I had an ulcer form on my bowel 6 weeks later, and start bleeding. It was because of adhesions. I lost 6 cms of my bowel because of it. They cleaned up what they could of adhesions, and I've been good since. Other than the Constipation. That is a big issue. But I don't eat much at all. Most days I can't even get two ounces of meat/food at a time. My body is often in starvation mode.

teri

where are you from and how much weight have you lost.

teri

Well, had I answered you last week my answer would have been a little different. But this week I'm feeling pretty good! Most of my nausea is gone, and I'm tolerating "soft" foods better. I AM getting tired of eating the same 5-6 things day in and day out, though.

I'm the same way, with only getting in 2 or less ounces of food at a time. My biggest learning curve has been to not drink while or right after I eat. I really don't like the taste of food in my mouth after I eat, so I use a lot of breath mints or brush my teeth a lot now, since I can't "wash it down" anymore!

Do you drink much in the way of Protein drinks? I hate them, personally, but they've been my sole source of food some days when I just can't tolerate the idea of eating anything. I just ordered the sample packs of the nectar drinks I've heard people rave about, so I'll let you know what I think. :D

Take care!!

Well, had I answered you last week my answer would have been a little different. But this week I'm feeling pretty good! Most of my nausea is gone, and I'm tolerating "soft" foods better. I AM getting tired of eating the same 5-6 things day in and day out, though.

I'm the same way, with only getting in 2 or less ounces of food at a time. My biggest learning curve has been to not drink while or right after I eat. I really don't like the taste of food in my mouth after I eat, so I use a lot of breath mints or brush my teeth a lot now, since I can't "wash it down" anymore!

Do you drink much in the way of Protein drinks? I hate them, personally, but they've been my sole source of food some days when I just can't tolerate the idea of eating anything. I just ordered the sample packs of the nectar drinks I've heard people rave about, so I'll let you know what I think. :D

Take care!!

no, have you tried the carnations instant Breakfast it has 14gms of protein.i had the lapband done 2&1/2 years ago and am considering revising to the bypass .i have had a long struggle.from 254lbs to 180lbs.i went as low as 162. emesis after a fill never at a sweet spot. exercising 1 to 2 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. my dr. says i shouldn't have to work so hard. i work harder now than before i had the surgery. no bread, rice or Pasta,still very very hard road.now i am in the any mode necessary mode. feel me

Hello all...I too will be a Band to RNY revision. I'm waiting now on insurance approval. I have gained back all of my weight lost along and decided well that cellulite may be lonely , so lets add another 20 pounds to it...:huh:

I'm glad to find others out there to talk to about these issues. Sometimes the Rose Coloured Glasses mentality can be frustrating...I know the band does work for some, but I unfortunately cannot include myself in those numbers.

I look forward to talking to all of you.

Leslie

Hey everyone ! Im having Gastric Bypass coming up here really soon just waiting on my actual day ! I never had Lap- band. It just wasnt for me so I went with this instead. I cant wait !!!!!

Hi...im very excited for you...will be relieved when insurance makes decision...do you know your date yet?

Hi,

Ok, so here is my story. I am 40 yrs old and now weigh 210, I am 5 ft 2 in tall. I have not been banded or had RNY yet. I started all of this in November of last year and had to switch Doctor's a few months in. I love my new surgeon, so that worked out, then my insurance changed their criteria about 1 month into my process and now I have a 6 month supervised diet they now want me to do. I am almost done with this part, I only have 2 more appointments with the nut and then my final appointment with my Dr.

A little back ground: I have diabetes, sleep apnea, mild hypertension, etc.

Hi,

Ok, so here is my story. I am 40 yrs old and now weigh 210, I am 5 ft 2 in tall. I have not been banded or had RNY yet. I started all of this in November of last year and had to switch Doctor's a few months in. I love my new surgeon, so that worked out, then my insurance changed their criteria about 1 month into my process and now I have a 6 month supervised diet they now want me to do. I am almost done with this part, I only have 2 more appointments with the nut and then my final appointment with my Dr.

A little back ground: I have diabetes, sleep apnea, mild hypertension, etc.

Hi! Welcome to RNYTalk...I know how you feel about the doctor switch. Sounds like you are getting really close. Insurance is funny - it really is. My insurance (BCBS of Texas) approved me within two days for my revision. A friend of mine (having worse complications than I am) is having to jump through the "hoops". I know you will be glad to be done with their requirements. Let us know how everything goes and definately after your doctor's appointment.

I'm having surgery on Monday week (Aug 1) and am nervous and excited at the same time. Best of luck to you :-)

I will keep you in my prayers. The anxiety is the worst of it, but it will be awesome once it's over.