Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Nervous....and I've only just started my research...anyone ever have any regrets?

Hello All, I am very new to all of this....a little about myself....I've explored the surgery option in the past but have always been scared off because of the things that Im giving up by having the surgery. Just recently I've been more looking at what I'm giving up by not having the surgery. I'm a Kaiser person and I have begun the process with them, which anyone from Kaiser knows involves 12 to 24 weeks of classes (24 for me) so the whole process is roughly nine months long. I guess I'm glad that it is a long process because I find myself still struggling with the decision. Some days I look on here and see all the successes and as someone who formerly lost 60 lbs. (I was 20 back then so it was a little easier)..then I look at other forums and see all the different options people talk about for different kinds of chicken broth and think....is this really what I'm going to be excited about in the future?? Different kinds of chicken broth??? I think ultimately I'm ready for all this and that some of what you read online you really have to take with a grain of salt. I'm just curious if anyone has any regrets?? Is there anything that you miss so much that you wouldn't have done the surgery? Did anyone else flounder about if this was the right choice (cause this little part of me feels like I should just get my butt in gear) but I've also done (like a lot of people on here) everything under the sun to lose weight.... I think I'm rambling a bit.....I just want to be a healthy and active person and I don't mind the hard work....I know no matter what it's going to be hard work.... If anyone has any words of wisdom, it would be greatly appreciated

LOL you are reading the diets that people have to stick to right after surgery to allow our little pouch to heal!!! That isn't what life is like from then on!!!!! I can eat anything I want. I CHOOSE not to eat certain foods because of the way that they make me physically feel afterwards, however there are very few things that make me feel that way, and everyone is different! I personally have trouble with bread, Pasta, and certain kinds of chicken. So I stay away from that for the most part. However, there are hundreds of things that I CAN and DO eat, and enjoy! The sleeve does not restrict you in the same way as the bypass does. I was mentally ready to change my life and so for me, I wanted to be able to still enjoy a piece of cake at a birthday party without being sick. Some people need the restriction that a bypass provides as mentally they just are not able to cut off that relationship with food. I was mentally ready for a couple years, but when the weight did not come off at the rate I needed it to, only then did I turn to surgery. It sounds like you are really torn with the thought of having to possibly sacrifice certain foods...I would just ask you to look at some before and after pictures of some people on the site as I think it may help you make up your mind. Personally, I am pissed at myself for waiting until I was 31 to have the surgery. I should've done this in my 20's so that I could've enjoyed the after years a little more :)

In short...getting the surgery is by far the smartest, most life changing decision that I have EVER made. I still cannot believe everyday when I wake up that I am an entire person smaller than I used to be. Oh...and did I mention that outside of the required post op diet, I have not felt that I have had to sacrifice any food that I wanted to have due to the surgery. The ONLY change is the amount that I now eat :)

Good luck in your decision...my vote is go for it!

Thank you for the response......its funny though....you mentioned that I seemed really torn about giving up certain things....I don't know that I really am when I really think about it. I've done tons of diets in the past that are super restrictive and I actually do fine with the restriction, I just get pissed off when I feel like im doing exactly what I'm supposed to and the weight doesn't come off...or if you mess up for one day and gain back half of what you lost because the diet was never right for you in the first place!! I just want to do what's right for me going forward......It very helpful to hear that most people I encounter on here don't regret their decision

I can admit to having lots of doubts in the beginning. I woke up thinking "what in the heck have I done to myself" and then the first time the family had pizza and I had my chicken broth I thought again "what in the heck have I done to myself". But I can honestly say, that very quickly I realized that there are NO REGRETS! I am a year out, at my goal, exercising, loving the way I look and feel, encouraged by all the positives comments I get on how good I am looking, my health is better and I have confronted a lot of emotional issues that led me down the path to obesity.

Yes, it is drastic surgery. Yes, it is good that you are taking your time and taking it seriously. I did the same thing. I researched for a year before I had the surgery but I am sooooo glad that I did!!! Best thing ever!!! But you have to decide for yourself what is right for you.

I am like DUBRookie, I can eat just about anything. There are a few things that my tummy doesnt like but nothing that I cant live without. (Almonds and eggs make my tummy hurt) But my husband says that the meals that I make now compared to before are much tastier and that he enjoys them more (and he has lost 60 pounds alongside me!) I can have a piece of pizza if I want it, I can have a cookie or some frozen yogurt, I just have to make sure that this is occasional and not a daily thing.

Life looks a lot better without the extra weight and without being chained to the kitchen always wondering what I will eat next.

My experience has been a great one! Hope you have a great one too!