Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking doctor to possibly modify surgery, need opinion

I'm what most people would consider a bmi light weight. I'm afraid the doc will give me the same stricture as somebody who has a lot more to lose. I don't want to have to add lots of bad food just to maintain my weight. Any suggestions ? Please don't comment if your going to be ugly!

Your surgeon will definitely explain this to you, as will a nutritionist who works with VGS patients.

My BMi was 32 preop diet and only 30.7 the day of surgery. I wasn't told anything different than we will loose weight slower. I feel great. I'm 8 days post op!

This is not the surgery for you. This is serious. Move on.

I don't want to be harsh, but surgery is a serious step. I've been seeing a lot of people on the various support groups I belong to who don't have a high BMI or don't have a lot of weight to lose who are struggling after surgery. I have lost and regained 75 lbs before on my own (with WW). I lost 60 lbs before surgery just through the medically supervised diet required by my insurance (even though I was only required to lose 10 lbs). Post-op is a major life change. Surgery is not an easy way out, by any means. And if you're approved to have it, you have the whole thing. Your pouch is your pouch size, and it's because you need it that size. If you think you'll need to "eat more" to stop losing as much, you don't understand how it works. I've slowed down my loss because I'm not as big. It gets harder to lose weight as you get thinner. Statistically sleevers only lose 50% of their excess weight by 1 year (don't quote me, no one flame me, that's just the numbers I've heard, and I'm breaking that myself, so I'm not a slave to them). So, it's not like you just keep losing until you fade away.

Do your research. And think hard about what it is you're looking for.

Based on your ticker you want to lose about 70 lbs? I needed to lose about 80 lbs so close to your goals. I don't know what 120 lbs puts you at for BMI, but let's assume it puts you in the normal, not underweight range. My starting BMI was 36.

I'm only 9 weeks out, but the weight is hardly just falling off in leaps and bounds. It comes down steadily at about 3 lbs a week which is a lot slower than if I had 200 lbs to lose. It's still of course a LOT faster than without the surgery but I will not be one of those that has lost 100 lbs in six months, I'm fairly sure. I have never worried that I will keep losing. I worry that I will never even get to goal!

It's not that easy. Your body is programmed to not let you starve to death. It will likely cut your metabolism down before you starve. Those who lost and hit maintenance seem to be able to add extra fat and calories and increase from their typical post-op calories of 700 or so, to 1300 or so in maintenance (women) and do just fine.

I think the surgery does help for someone who has 70-80 lbs to lose. I have tried everything on my own and failed before. Not just failed to keep it off, I've also failed to LOSE the weight in the first place. It's been a godsend for me.

I hope that my doing it when I did will prevent co-morbidities, and will also reduce my loose skin problems than if I had waited until I had more to lose.

But the restriction is the restriction. I doubt any doctor would agree to a much bigger bougie just because you have "less" to lose than some others. 70 lbs of extra weight is still a lot to carry around on our poor knees, hips and ankles.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

In your pre-surgery meetings, has this been discussed? I ask because per your ticker, you're having surgery tomorrow. This seems like a pretty important question to bring up at the last minute. One thing I do know - surgeons do what they do - they have a procedure, a plan, and they stick to it. Something like this, a high-stakes invasive surgery, isn't probably something they personalize patient by patient, or by request. Either way, good luck to you!

In my pre-surgery meeting (or Education Meeting) I was focused on RNY. It's only been recent that I changed my mind and decided to get the Sleeve so I don't know if he mentioned it. I was basing my comment on research I've done.

I weighed 169 lbs when I had surgery. I had a revision to sleeve from my Lapband of 6 years. Today I weigh 161 which puts me 16 lbs from my overall goal and I'm only 2 weeks out. Your body adjusts to where it needs to be and as someone mentioned the less you have to lose the slower it comes off and the harder it is !! You don't have anything to worry about.

Are you a Dr ??

Omg , so rude...please, she doesn't need that...this is a "support" forum...

I think you need to move 'on' out of this site-its for support not criticism!

In your pre-surgery meetings, has this been discussed? I ask because per your ticker, you're having surgery tomorrow. This seems like a pretty important question to bring up at the last minute. One thing I do know - surgeons do what they do - they have a procedure, a plan, and they stick to it. Something like this, a high-stakes invasive surgery, isn't probably something they personalize patient by patient, or by request. Either way, good luck to you!

I think your right! Thanks for the advice

nevermind

(Since the poster I quoted deleted her comment, I am deleting mine so that the quote she wanted to delete doesn't linger on)

All because some of us do not have a BMi of 50 doesn't mean we need any less support and understanding of our journey.