Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess Skin and Insurance?

Hi Everyone,

I'm 10 months out, down 123 lbs and only 10 away from my final goal. I have had no issues with gaining at all, only some small stalls, which coincidentally enough, the only thing that broke them was giving in and having something sweet! I am at the point where I am finding myself REPULSED by the amount of excess skin I have. Particularly my stomach and inner thighs. I was wondering what people's experience has been with getting this skin removal covered by insurance? Are there any tricks or things people have found helpful in getting their plan to agree to pay? I don't want to have to wear Shapewear everyday for the rest of my life lol

I just had my TT. They removed 6 pounds of skin....with very little fat it was quite a large section. I had to pay cash but it was worth it. I was going to buy. Toyota forerunner last year which is over $30000. I bought a Nissan xterra instead which was under $20000 and boom....surgery paid for. Great trade off in my opinion.

But....with my insurance, the keys to getting it paid for we're medical complications caused by the excess skin. The 2 most common are rashes or immobility due to the skin. I had neither, and would have needed well documented proof by my pcp to even attempt to get my surgery covered. If you have either issue, my suggestion is go to your pcp and seek treatment/diagnosis for the problem. If he can't resolve it with other means then he can refer you to P/S which might then be covered.

Also, the skin may get a little better over time. You are still early out... wait at least a year and re evaluate. I could still use surgery,but my skin is a lot better after three years.

You should also be at your lowest possible weight goal for 3-6 months -it needs to be stable both for the best long term results as well as complications go down- the plastic surgeons who have presented at my surgeons support groups mention that often a panniculectomy may be covered with lots of documentation of skin breakdown/irritation - but tummy tucks (involving the muscles below), body lifts, etc. generally are not.

You should also be at your lowest possible weight goal for 3-6 months -it needs to be stable both for the best long term results as well as complications go down- the plastic surgeons who have presented at my surgeons support groups mention that often a panniculectomy may be covered with lots of documentation of skin breakdown/irritation - but tummy tucks (involving the muscles below)' date=' body lifts, etc. generally are not.[/quote']

Oh yep....good point....mine only would have covered the cost of the panni....but I could have paid just the difference and still gotten the TT....had I met the criteria.

What I found interesting is when the last plastic surgeon visited (and gave us free consultation vouchers yay ) and say you want a procedure more extensive than what your insurance will cover is that they will start operating and bill insurance - then once that is complete (say work on ones apron) then they continue the work you pay for on your own.

Definitely google panniculectomy vs. Tummy Tuck, there is a difference and I'm quite sure if anything is "covered" under insurance it would just the removal of excess skin.

And totally agree that you should wait until you are further out, 10 months is still pretty "new" as far as your skin is concerned.

Definitely google panniculectomy vs. Tummy Tuck, there is a difference and I'm quite sure if anything is "covered" under insurance it would just the removal of excess skin.

And totally agree that you should wait until you are further out, 10 months is still pretty "new" as far as your skin is concerned.

I'm 14 months out and I am having a panniculectomy on Nov 5 with a hernia repair. I've lost 137 pounds. My insurance will cover it. I cannot afford a Tummy Tuck right now and I'm afraid if I wait my insurance will change at beginning of year. So I will take the panni and get the rest done later, probably in Mexico.

I just had my TT. They removed 6 pounds of skin....with very little fat it was quite a large section. I had to pay cash but it was worth it. I was going to buy. Toyota forerunner last year which is over $30000. I bought a Nissan xterra instead which was under $20000 and boom....surgery paid for. Great trade off in my opinion.

But....with my insurance, the keys to getting it paid for we're medical complications caused by the excess skin. The 2 most common are rashes or immobility due to the skin. I had neither, and would have needed well documented proof by my pcp to even attempt to get my surgery covered. If you have either issue, my suggestion is go to your pcp and seek treatment/diagnosis for the problem. If he can't resolve it with other means then he can refer you to P/S which might then be covered.

You will be happier with the Xterra. I have a 2002 and LOVE it!!! It crawls up rocks almost as good as a Jeep. It does need to be lifted to clear some bigger rocks, but it is a wonder in the low gears.

I don't have rashes either. There is no way I would be covered under insurance. The extra skin on the thighs and arms I can live with. The extra skin on stomach and lower abdomen really gets to me.

I wonder if surgeons have low interest payment plans :-P

..... I wonder if surgeons have low interest payment plans :-P

Payment plans....yes.

Low interest.....dream on.

I looked at one that was 26%

You will be happier with the Xterra. I have a 2002 and LOVE it!!! It crawls up rocks almost as good as a Jeep. It does need to be lifted to clear some bigger rocks, but it is a wonder in the low gears.

I treated myself to a brand new Xterra when I hit -50 lbs... Now that I'm pushing -100.. not sure what I'm going to do lol