Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I work in an office environment with 20 people. I keep things professional friendly and short. I have no intentions of advertising my choice in WLS. I don't want to lie and just say diet and exercise but I don't want then in my business either. These days you drop weight fast people think you either sick or you are a crack/coke diet. Has anyone had any challenges discussing or not discussing with co-workers when your weight started coming off fast and it's noticeable?

My weight lose has been slow and steady which work to my advantage. when folks started noticing i would just say i change my eating habits and work out a little in the gym. the key give away is the exseccesively baggy close. WHen they start not to fit you got to get rid of them as this draws more attention to the sitution

This is a much debated topic of conversation here. You will get opinions from every side.

I can only give you mine. For me, I am a private person and have never discussed my health, weight or many other personal issues. It's just not up for discussion. My husband (who is my rock) and our youngest son know and that is all. Period. It's no one's business.

When people ask me how much weight I have lost, I reply with "a good amount" or "a bunch." If they ask me how I have done it, I simply say " a lot of hard work." All are true. If they persist, I will give one more polite reply. After that, my good graces are gone. It doesn't happen often but when it does, I will say something to the tune of "Wow, you sure are asking a lot of personal questions." They get embarrassed and will stammer something like "well, I was just curious." To which I reply, "yes, I can see that." I will usually walk away at that point.

I guess I'm just at the age where I don't feel like I owe the world an answer to any and all questions asked. Just because someone asked, does not in any way, shape or form require an answer of me. I just was raised in a way that personal things were just that, personal.

Do what feels right for you, and if you want to keep your private life private, do it and don't feel bad. You don't owe anyone an explanation. This is your journey and it's not an easy one. It's by no means the easy way out. Do it whatever way you think is best for you.

Good luck to you, you will love your sleeve and it will change your life! I was self pay and for me it was the best money I have ever spent on my health and quality of life!

I wish the same for you! :)

Personally I don't care who knows. But that's just me. It's your life and you must decide how you want to manage it. There is no right or wrong. It's how you feel about it. If you choose not to share, it's ok. Ultimately it is your business. I wish you the very best.

I was on the fence about telling and I work in an office with about 100 people, I don't even know them all... but, I spilled it last week. A co-worker told me in late May that he was having the gastric bypass and he didn't want but a few people knowing and wanted me to keep it a secret. He told most people he had his gallbladder removed. We have dieted and lost at the same times a few times, we have logged miles walked and ran on Facebook and encouraged each other through the years. My first words is, isn't that dangerous? He told me they do it laparoscopically and explained how long he would be out and answered questions. It planted the seed. I talked with my Husband, and made an appointment with my PCP. I told my hubby that day, if the doors open... I'm walking on through.. and they have, all the way. My friend at work was 429 lbs, and now he has lost about 100 lbs and everyone knows - and everyone is supporting him. They have a group that walks the parking lot in the morning and he is out there with them. I want that support group, and I have a hard time not being an open book. That is just my nature. However, I told the lady at the Health food store tonight about starting the liquid diet tomorrow for 2 weeks, and then liquids only 2 weeks after the surgery... and she turned hateful and told me that if I did the liquid diet I didn't need surgery and I almost let her have it. It is a personal choice.

You do know that VSG surgery doesn't actually remove any weight -- except maybe the 2 lbs your stomach weighs. All the weight you lose is through -- wait for it -- diet and exercise! VSG is just another tool to help you. You can absolutely tell people that you are losing weight with diet and exercise, because it's the truth.

For me, I tell anyone who cares that I had weight loss surgery (then of course I have to educate them on sleeve surgery because all most people know is bypass or lapband -- grrrrr!) Most people are so concerned with their own lives, they don't really pay much attention to my stuff. But, I have to stick with the same story for everyone. Not bright enough to remember to whom I said what.

Its your choice I am a teacher and didn't tell anyone. Sure some thought I had cancer. I told them I was sick when I had a bmi of 40 with high bp. I just say that I was tired of being unhealthy and made lifestyle changes. If anyone wants to know more I may tell them. But its a personal choice you will have to make. But it is possible to pass it off. I just wish I didn't even tell people I had Any type of surgery.

Why do you let what someone else may think about your progress destroy your shine. I just tell everyone so if I'm successful at keeping the weight off or I fail, people will know. I dropped 70 pounds in 2 months,so I couldn't hide that you could see the difference. If you don't want to tell anyone at work then don't you don't owe them any explanation as to why you are loosing weight. I often find that there is a lot of people who have a lot of questions about the surgery so they do ask. Some people ask questions just to be nosy or rude don't worry about them if you are not having a problem with your coworkers you shouldn't have one after your surgery .

I'm also private. Only my husband knows. It's now almost 10 months and 94lbs later and I'm happy to report my personal business is still my own. If people are speculating about my loss, they're doing it behind my back, which is fine by me. I can't be worried about what people say behind my back. It's not worth the effort. If they ask me to my face, I will answer like newat52. There is so much oversharing and inappropriate meddling these days! Frustrating!

Oh my goodness... I tell anyone who asks!!! I feel like this surgery saved my life and if me telling my story could save anyone else I don't care who knows. The only reason I am off all 3 bp meds and I don't sleep with the cpap is because a co worked talked about her surgery. I will forever be thankful that she wasn't shy, embarrassed or a private person!!! If she was, I would be hooked up to my auto bp machine asking my husband if we need to take me to the er because of my high BP....

Oh my goodness... I tell anyone who asks!!! I feel like this surgery saved my life and if me telling my story could save anyone else I don't care who knows. The only reason I am off all 3 bp meds and I don't sleep with the cpap is because a co worked talked about her surgery. I will forever be thankful that she wasn't shy' date=' embarrassed or a private person!!! If she was, I would be hooked up to my auto bp machine asking my husband if we need to take me to the er because of my high BP....[/quote']

I agree. Anyone ho has asked about my weight loss I've told. I'm not scared or ashamed and like your experiences I had 3 other work colleagues talk about their surgeries 2 years ago and their lives changed health wise o much that I m forever grateful that they shared their stories with me.

Oh my goodness... I tell anyone who asks!!! I feel like this surgery saved my life and if me telling my story could save anyone else I don't care who knows. The only reason I am off all 3 bp meds and I don't sleep with the cpap is because a co worked talked about her surgery. I will forever be thankful that she wasn't shy' date=' embarrassed or a private person!!! If she was, I would be hooked up to my auto bp machine asking my husband if we need to take me to the er because of my high BP....[/quote']

I love your answer! I respect your outlook and candidness! Contrary to how this may sound, I must admit that I too, am a "PRIVATE PERSON".! When I originally began this VSG process back in April of 2013, the question "What will I say when they notice??" consistently raced through my head. Being the private person that I am, and feeling somewhat embarrassed by having to result to weight loss surgery, I initially could not get over the fear and fact of sharing that I could NOT do it by myself. I contemplated on answers such as "having my gall bladder removed", "female issues","thyroid problems" and half a dozen more. Then I was slapped in the face with a reality check!!! I was slapped with HUMILITY, ACCOUNTABILITY, SELF-WORTH and OWNERSHIP. The very same qualities that I instill in my children. Not only would I be disrespecting real, existing survivors of my fabricated "health issues", in addition, I would also be taking the Biblical scripture "Life and Death is in the power of the tongue" with a grain of salt.(Proverbs 18:21) I knew that I did not want to later experience those things in life by trying to hide from the TRUTH. Approximately, 65% of the world reside in countries where obesity kills. Based on estimates of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariactric Surgery, there have been close to 1/2 a million bariactric surgeries. WE ARE NOT IN THIS ALONE. All of the VSG support groups, Forums, Blog-sites, web communities are there to assist us all in becoming a united front and part of the bariactric family. I was in hiding, denial and depression for far too many years while being obese and I will NOT Continue living that way in my new journey! I will LIVE, I will CONQUER and not allow my inhibitions to intercept my greatness. This surgery saved my life and I'm so grateful that I was blessed by having someone share the knowledge behind it! KNOWLEDGE is power! No need for me to embellish the truth. Yes, I work hard by working out, making wise food choices and increasing my Protein intake. I could say that.. But if one happens to pry further, I'll share how my fire was ignited by this great VSG tool! By no means, am I suggesting that we should send a mass email to our entire office, friends and family.All I am saying is that there is a median between choosing to NOT SHARE AT ALL and Broadcasting to everyone. After all, in some form or some way.. Someone, originally SHARED it with YOU. At some point in OUR "Private Personal" lives we should give back by sharing, educating and providing knowledge of the vertical sleeve and how it's changed our health for the better <3 #TeamHealthy #Integrity #1LifeAtATime #GiveBack

I work in an office environment with 20 people. I keep things professional friendly and short. I have no intentions of advertising my choice in WLS. I don't want to lie and just say diet and exercise but I don't want then in my business either. These days you drop weight fast people think you either sick or you are a crack/coke diet. Has anyone had any challenges discussing or not discussing with co-workers when your weight started coming off fast and it's noticeable?

Tell them you're doing a modified Atkins plan (you got modified, what and how you're eating now is similar to Atkins).

i was worried at first about telling people because they are sp judgemental!

but now i dont care! im feeling fabulous, and i want people to know its not just a quick fix or easy!

its bloody hard work! and id reccomend it to anyone who has always struggled with their weight!

why should we be ashamed?

the first thing people ask me when i tell them is "did you get it done on the NHS" (thats the free service in the UK for anyone who doesnt know)

i tell them no way, they wouldnt even give me the time of day when if i tried!

i paid privatly and dont regret it one bit!

my health, image and lifestyle is changing every day and everyday im feeling more happier and confident!

IM PORUD OF MY SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE! and i dont care who knows xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

plus we are ALL VERY BRAVE! so well done sleevers xxx

This is a much debated topic of conversation here. You will get opinions from every side.

I can only give you mine. For me, I am a private person and have never discussed my health, weight or many other personal issues. It's just not up for discussion. My husband (who is my rock) and our youngest son know and that is all. Period. It's no one's business.

When people ask me how much weight I have lost, I reply with "a good amount" or "a bunch." If they ask me how I have done it, I simply say " a lot of hard work." All are true. If they persist, I will give one more polite reply. After that, my good graces are gone. It doesn't happen often but when it does, I will say something to the tune of "Wow, you sure are asking a lot of personal questions." They get embarrassed and will stammer something like "well, I was just curious." To which I reply, "yes, I can see that." I will usually walk away at that point.

I guess I'm just at the age where I don't feel like I owe the world an answer to any and all questions asked. Just because someone asked, does not in any way, shape or form require an answer of me. I just was raised in a way that personal things were just that, personal.

Do what feels right for you, and if you want to keep your private life private, do it and don't feel bad. You don't owe anyone an explanation. This is your journey and it's not an easy one. It's by no means the easy way out. Do it whatever way you think is best for you.

Good luck to you, you will love your sleeve and it will change your life! I was self pay and for me it was the best money I have ever spent on my health and quality of life!

I wish the same for you! :)

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have some demons first i'm trying to leave in the past so i can move forward. January looks like my target month to be sleeved. I'm really looking forward to having a healthy quality of life!