Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice please from the vets

I have met several people lately who feel inclined to tell me horror stories about people getting the surgery and then eating around it and not losing. I am scheduled for December for the sleeve and now getting nervous about that. What do you think?

As long as you stick to what your Dr tells you,you'll be fine and you will lose!...it will be tough at first but you will get used to it about 3 weeks out...do it!..IM glad I did

I had the same fear b/c I know 2 people who did exactly that! However, at four weeks out I can tell you, they had to try really hard to do that. I've lost a total of 33 lbs as of today (which is exactly four weeks). You follow your nut's advice and your surgeon and all will be well :)

there is always the Negative people. but I have found the SLEEVE WORKES! It has changed my Life. Do your research, listen to your doctor, your shrink, and your NUT. Best of Luck... YOU CAN DO THIS!

Exactly what crisbear said. As long as you follow the guidelines set for you by your doctor and nutritionist, you will be fine. It's the people who post about eating something they clearly shouldn't be eating at 4 or 5 weeks out that are they ones who will have a problem someday. Those guidelines are there for a reason, and we didn't go through major surgery for a quick fix. It is a tool to help achieve a total lifestyle change.

I am almost 8 months out with a lost of 76 pounds. It has been a wonderful TOOL. And yes it is a TOOL. And yes I can cheat at this point. But thanks to my sleeve I can't cheat like I did in my past. And the BEST THING IS THAT I DON'T WANT TO CHEAT LIKE I DID IN THE PAST. I went thru a major surgery to be healthier. I don't want to sabotage myself now. I do allow my self one night a week to treat myself. But even then I don't eat the way I use to. I'm still losing and grateful for each pound I have lost. It will change your life!!!!!!!

Well you have to think, are you going to follow the plan or are you going to find ways to "cheat" it...

The surgery does work but you need to work too.

food and hunger, face it most of us didn't eat only out of true hunger. So if you don't gain some kind of control over your head hunger, it is possible to eat around the sleeve with "slider"

(Junk) food.

This gets easier to do as time goes on. So change needs to come in the form of your thinking and coping skills.

We will have to keep up on these changes for the rest of our lives if we want to succeed.

Well you have to think, are you going to follow the plan or are you going to find ways to "cheat" it...

The surgery does work but you need to work too.

food and hunger, face it most of us didn't eat only out of true hunger. So if you don't gain some kind of control over your head hunger, it is possible to eat around the sleeve with "slider"

(Junk) food.< /p>

This gets easier to do as time goes on. So change needs to come in the form of your thinking and coping skills.

We will have to keep up on these changes for the rest of our lives if we want to succeed.

I have a question relating to that. I hear about 'slider' foods, but what do they really constitute? Ice cream, chips, chocolate and such?

I have a question relating to that. I hear about 'slider' foods' date=' but what do they really constitute? Ice cream, chips, chocolate and such?[/quote']

They are different for everyone...

But yes those are the usual suspects.

High fat, high sugar.

chips are a big slider for me or popcorn and truthfully it's easy to do. Sometimes it just feels good to eat without the discomfort of fullness.

Does that make sense? I hope.

But if you feel like eating these things you could mindlessly and it can lead to weight gain.

Also grazing!!!

You can get into the pattern of grazing all day.

One of my best friends had a gastric bypass about four years ago and did not have any long term success. She was the last person that I told about my desire to have the surgery as I knew she had a negative experience. I have done really well and have lost weight at a steady slow pace.

She and I recently spent the weekend together and she shared that she needs knee replacement surgery. But the doctor would do it until she loses 40lbs. I was flabbergasted as I had struggled for years and was never able to lose more than 10 or 15 lbs on my own.

I told her that success is 50% mental and 50% what you eat. Mentally she was not ready for the surgery and food is her companion. Although she eats small meals the quality of what she eats is not good. She admitted that she is addicted to candy and can't stop eating it. When we are with others she is always telling me what I cant eat which I find crazy.

All in all you will get out of the sleeve what you put into. Ive had my ups and downs but would do it all over in a heartbeat.

To be honest and I'm not meaning to sound like a prude here, but I've never really been a fan of any of those things... I haven't got a sweet tooth and the MSG on chips makes me shakey (both my sister and I are a bit sensitive to flavour enhancers. Gives us freaky dreams!). I don't suppose burgers and fried are slider foods, are they? 'cause you have to chew them? I know they're not great choices, but I guess you would be hard-pressed to ram them down in such quantity that they would equate to eating a bag of chips with salsa/dips? I guess I'm trying to work out what it is that'll be my nemesis.. I suspect the empty calories I'll consume will more than likely and way further on down the line, come from the dreaded booze!

Lol I don't think burgers would be a slider for ANYONE! Fries?? I don't know but I doubt it..

If you don't like sweets or chips you are one step ahead of me! :P

As for bypass..

At a support meeting I went to there was a new girl there she brought her husband and told the group that her doctor and husband wanted her to have the sleeve but she wanted the bypass because she wanted the ill effects when she ate junk food... Well that had the bypass ladies in the group cracking up. They told her you can eat around the bypass too. I told her you need to still do the work with bypass and the sleeve.

She asked well what would work best to "make" you stop eating junk. I said getting your mouth wired shut permanently.. :P

Today after a hard morning of work the boss took us to Beef O'Brady's. I ordered a salad and a half of a Cuban sandwich. The salad went down mighty easy and I even ate some of the bread with the yummy Cuban sandwich along with the meat. The quantity was more than I normally eat and I had no discomfort. I consider that they were sliders.

The "stretch bellies" who were with me ate vast quatities and I had to dig into my water/lunch bag and retrieve my ever-present antacids for one of them.

As for booze, I don't see how it is possible to abuse it with the sleeve.The thing doesn't hold enough for a decent buzz and booze irritates. "The Bouncer" wouldn't put up with it.

Today after a hard morning of work the boss took us to Beef O'Brady's. I ordered a salad and a half of a Cuban sandwich. The salad went down mighty easy and I even ate some of the bread with the yummy Cuban sandwich along with the meat. The quantity was more than I normally eat and I had no discomfort. I consider that they were sliders.

The "stretch bellies" who were with me ate vast quatities and I had to dig into my water/lunch bag and retrieve my ever-present antacids for one of them.

As for booze' date=' I don't see how it is possible to abuse it with the sleeve.The thing doesn't hold enough for a decent buzz and booze irritates. "The Bouncer" wouldn't put up with it.[/quote']

Oh the booze... Well I don't drink much... But....

Well.

Ok let me say I'm 10 months out so don't try this at home if your newly sleeved 3 weeks ago I went away with my husband for some romance no kids time.. I drank almost a whole bottle of wine!

I would of drank more but I passed out :P

Wine a slider??? :D

Oh the booze... Well I don't drink much... But....

Well.

Ok let me say I'm 10 months out so don't try this at home if your newly sleeved 3 weeks ago I went away with my husband for some romance no kids time.. I drank almost a whole bottle of wine!

I would of drank more but I passed out :P

Wine a slider??? :D

Ahhh...wine. My experiment was with vodka. I've had sweet homemade wine before that went down way too easy...made a right fool out of me in front of my girlfriend's family.