Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium and muscle growth

Btw fiddle, it's supposed to help you sleep at night. Maybe that's what you need for your insomnia? Friend of mine was doing strict Paleo, and training for a hellacious bike ride. He started to have trouble sleeping from all that exercising. Sound like anyone you know? :)

Took some magnesium, swears it helped his insomnia.

Btw fiddle' date=' it's supposed to help you sleep at night. Maybe that's what you need for your insomnia? Friend of mine was doing strict Paleo, and training for a hellacious bike ride. He started to have trouble sleeping from all that exercising. Sound like anyone you know? :)

Took some magnesium, swears it helped his insomnia.[/quote']

I am going to look into a magnesium supplementation. liquid sounds more appealing to me then trying to get it from food or taking more pills. The melatonin I take works really well for putting me to sleep and is a liquid supplement, but not so well at keeping me asleep all night. As I have explained above.

By the way, it has been many months since I have eaten fruit so would like to just use a Protein powder base. Kind of developed a distance between fruit and me in the same way I do not eat sugar, dairy, starches or bread any longer. Other then the sleep issue, I am feeling pretty darn good. I left a cross fit workout today thinking to myself " I feel better leaving hen when going in." That made me grin, knowing the workouts are helping me feel better rather then breaking me. I haves turned a corner.

Fiddle' date=' that sounds extreme, impressed as I am with your total dedication. Where do you get your fiber?

http://kristensraw.com/blog/2013/07/24/food-journal-omnivore-and-gluten-free/

Currently fiber is coming from steel oats. 2 1/2 cup servings a day (Breakfast and afternoon). I drink an ample amount of Water daily. I do eat veggies like broccoli when I can. No issues with bm.

You are supposed to be getting 38g fiber a day, as a man, it's not just about BMs, it's about maintaining a healthy gut and preventing autoimmine, neurological and GI disorders. Sorry, I've recently become something of a crusader for this issue ;)

You are supposed to be getting 38g fiber a day' date=' as a man, it's not just about BMs, it's about maintaining a healthy gut and preventing autoimmine, neurological and GI disorders. Sorry, I've recently become something of a crusader for this issue ;)[/quote']

Thanks for the info.

Let's see. The following is an approximation of a typical breakdown of my daily fiber consumption:

There are 2 grams fiber per 1/4 cup of oatmeal. I have 2 1/2 cup servings so that is +8 grams.

I have about 10 ounces of chicken a day on average for two meals. No fiber.

About 1 cup of broccoli split over 2 meals. That is 5 grams.

There are 5 grams per 1 scoop of my syntha 6 powder. I have about 4 scoops a day. That is +20 grams.

There is 1 gram per 1 scoop of my casein powder. I have 3 scoops a day. That is +3 grams.

There are 2 grams of fiber in an AMRAP bar. I eat one a day after working out.

Adding all that together gives me +38 grams of fiber a day. Hot damn! Imagine that. I am, miraculously, right at the FDA recommendation without consciously trying to hit it. Talk about luck. Either that or my subconscious is trying to do what is best for me. Lol.

Might as well add up the calories too. I haven't really added up my calories before so am a bit interested myself. I do not like to track, never have and never will. I just go by what works in a general sense and make adjustments where needed.

Steel cut oats: 170 cal

10 ounces chicken : 459 cal

1 cup broccoli: 31 cal

4 scoop Syntha 6: 800 cal

3 scoop ON casein: 360 cal

AMRAP bar: 300 cal

I may also have up to 5-6 extra ounces of chicken a day or an extra Protein shake, depending on if hungry. That is + 225

Again, adding it all up.

Low end: 2125

High end: 2345

I do take a supplement called "very green" from trader joes to fill in the missing servings of veggies we should eat daily.

May seem like a lot of calories, but it is working for me.

This type of food satisfies and keeps insulin levels fairly constant. No mad cravings to eat something snacky. Sometimes a low carb Protein Bar (think : pure Protein or quest) tends to make me want to eat another. So I do not eat them (or at least try and not eat them except for emergencies). The AMRAP bar does not cause any burning desires for more. It must be because it is well balanced and true paleo style (minimal processing). Sweetness comes from honey and not artificial sweetener like low carb bars.

This amount is a good quantity to keep energy up and still workout 5 days a week cross fit. Weight stays between 172 and 176 below my goal weight of 180 (ideal bmi). Tend to lose a bit more, depending on exercise intensity or duration. I do not want to lose any more so may need to eat an extra 400-500 calories to keep weight stable at about 175. I feel my athletic body composition and strength are pretty darn close to where they need to be after 8 months of maintaining. It has been a slow daily process.

I do have a bit of trouble putting on muscle weight, but that could be because I am short 500-1000 calories or so. Not sure. Doesn't really matter anyways because I am more about being athletic fit and having real strength then body building and bulging muscles. I can deadlift almost 400 lb for 1 rep and power clean almost 200 lb for 5-10 reps. I am running sub 5 minute miles, can do 100 lunges, 80 pull-ups and 100 push-ups in a workout (did just this last week)I think eating this way helps bring out the inner strength.