Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

could anyone tolerate icy cold protein shakes?

Just knowing myself..the only way I willbeable to tolerate the postop month on full liquids is if I can have it mixed with some crushed ice...could anyone tolerate cold shakes on thier sleeve that 1st 30-60 days? The thought of room temp makes me gag just thinking of it. Uuugggghhhh

I blended mine with ice right away. When I graduated to full liquids I added unsweetened almond milk to my icy blend.

The ice allowed me to safely "chew" which helped my head hunger.

I loved my liquids very cold after surgery. Most people tolerate warm liquids better but for me it was the opposite.

No problem with icy.. The only issue I had was that at first I couldn't tolerate them well because mixing them in the blender with ice incorporated too much air! But after a few weeks it was no problem either.

Thanks ladies... btw. AmandaRae...I love your quote "If You Propose To Speak, Always Ask Yourself, Is It True, Is It Necessary, Is It Kind.”

I started drinking the Protein Shakes two days after surgery and they always had to be cold or I couldn't get them down. I made ice pops with the ones I could mix with Water and that helped reach the daily Protein amount early on.

I couldn't drink anything that wasn't hot without crushed ice for about 8 weeks. It just didn't seem right.

Drinking one I just crushed the ice in right now. Chike choc and strawberry mixed with unsweetened almond milk. Must admit it makes me want to gulp not sip.

Almost 9 weeks out now I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker (recommended on a forum here) and am experiencing a new found anticipation for my Protein Shakes in ice cream form. 10-20 minutes of churning and they are ready for me to eat with a spoon. Yum! Then again, perhaps it's living in south Texas that really makes me crave colder things much of the year.

Thanks ladies... btw. AmandaRae...I love your quote "If You Propose To Speak' date=' Always Ask Yourself, Is It True, Is It Necessary, Is It Kind.” [/quote']

Thanx!

I never had a problem with "air" in my blended Protein shakes..... But I didn't have the postop gas pain many had.

I shared my Gas X strips with other Sleevers.

Once i was cleared to have a banana.... I like my smoothies with Syntrax chocolate, PB2, unsweetened almond milk, and half a banana...

Almost 9 weeks out now I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker (recommended on a forum here) and am experiencing a new found anticipation for my Protein shakes in ice cream form. 10-20 minutes of churning and they are ready for me to eat with a spoon. Yum! Then again' date=' perhaps it's living in south Texas that really makes me crave colder things much of the year.[/quote']

Yummy idea!

Having my vsg in November and am having trouble with tolerating the taste of Protein Shakes, powders... I can't even imagine how nasty they could be warm. I would be very interested in hearing more about the Protein shakes in the ice cream machine. Any chance you would be willing to tell me how to make it?

Same goes for me. They've got to be icy or at least over icy before I can drink them. Which does keep me from gulping them down - can you say ice cream headache? :)

Wow – it seems a lot of you guys are allowed to have it with almond milk. My dog won't allow it. I have to make some sequestrate Water but, I am allowed to add extract to them. I have vanilla extract, coconut, and strawberry. I have different flavors of Chike as well. I have tried making them into ice pops – I had put my coffee cup in the freezer – it had my Chike in it and it's I pulled it out hours later and it was frozen solid and I let it thaw for just a little bit and ended up making it into a slushy. It went down pretty well that way… I definitely have to have a cold or doesn't go down very well. But I'm having a great deal of trouble getting in the amount of Protein I'm supposed to get in. I'm three weeks postop and I'm supposed to have two shakes a day but, i'm lucky if I can get one end. I know it's bad and I should be trying to get the other end but, I'm just not hungry…

Natalie