Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe migraines, what to do?

Nsaids and caffeine are two of the most effective things in my Migraine arsenal. With those gone I am not sure what to do to fight the headaches. My Migraines can last several days and includes severe nausea , dizziness vomiting and fatigue. I cannot walk, drive work or tolerate light sounds or smells it is very debilitating. My surgeon says no NSAIDS or caffeine forever. My surgery date is November 19th.

I can't be the only one planning the sleeve surgery who suffers with migraines.

You may want to talk with your dr to discuss options. My dr allows me to have caffiene now and has never said anything to me about not using NSAIDS but you need to ask why and if there are other things that you can use to help alleviate your symptoms.

I have suffered from debilitating Migraines for many years before my surgery and this was a big concern of mine. The good news is, I haven't had a Migraine since before the surgery. And if I get a migraine, I will take my prescribed medication like maxalt or zomiz and if they don't work, i will go to urgent care and get a shot of dilaudid. That's the plan I have. I am so thankful for not having migraines now. :P

My surgeon says caffeine and NSAIDS are ok in small amounts. (infrequently) Tylenol doesn't do anything for my headaches either. I wouldnt' have the surgery if I knew I couldnt ever have NSAIDS. Its one of the reasons I chose VSG. Caffeine is generally recommended in moderation because it is dehydrating, and can interfere with Calcium absorbtion.

I too have suffered from really bad, frequent Migraines for years and years, and was taking Imatrex for it. I was afraid after surgery I wouldn't be able to swallow the pill, so I got my dr. to prescribe me a Migraine pill that dissolves on the tongue - It's called Rizatriptan 10mg. However, I had my surgery on Aug 17th, and I have not had a migraine since the day before surgery. I haven't gone a month without a migraine in too many years to remember. I usually have two or three per month. Soooo... I haven't had to use my dissolvable pills, but they're there! I'm actually scared to think too much about not having migraines anymore for fear I'll jinx it! If anybody knows how this can happen, I'd love to know the reason.

Nsaids and caffeine are two of the most effective things in my Migraine arsenal. With those gone I am not sure what to do to fight the headaches. My Migraines can last several days and includes severe nausea ' date=' dizziness vomiting and fatigue. I cannot walk, drive work or tolerate light sounds or smells it is very debilitating. My surgeon says no NSAIDS or caffeine forever. My surgery date is November 19th. I can't be the only one planning the sleeve surgery who suffers with migraines.[/quote']

I have a distinct feeling that migraines are due to our diet, additionally our hormones that get out of whack due to our weight. My daughter gets them just like you. She ate a lot of simple carbs. The spiking of insulin may set them off. They also came before her period. That's what led me to believe it was hormonal. I'm thinking the diet of high Protein and veggies would balance out the system. However, I'm no doctor. Lol. I wish you a life free of migraines. :-)

I also suffer from severe Migraines. The biggest reason I'm having this done is to get the weight off to hopefully get rid of them. I was diagnosed w/ pseudo tumor cerebri and weight loss is supposed to reverse it. I was told NSAID's would be ok post surgery, I use them as well as many different prescriptions. Hoping to be Migraine free soon, best of luck to you too!

I'm am happier than a pig in ****. I absolutely love this site. So much information and so many wonderful and caring people. I'm glad I came across this post. I've been suffering head pain/migraines and I guess I'm in the beginning stages and was wondering about NSAIDs. I'm definitely taking notes on the medications listed in the posts above. Good luck to everyone. Thanks again.

I take Imitrex with the sleeve. I can't function with Migraines. No problems so far.

I'm a sufferer. I was told by my surgeon that NSAID 'stick' to the stomach and thus erode it. I proffered Voltfast, which is diclofenac powder, diluted in lots of Water. He conceded that would be okay. I would only go to those, however, if the Maxalt and the tonnes of codeine I take didn't kick it... As for the causes of Migraines - mine is barometric pressure, stress and hormones. No food triggers (unless I drink strong coffee on an empty stomach in the morning). To be honest and as we all know - if you get one, you'd sell your soul to get rid of it.. So I wouldn't worry too much. I'd just try and get the good stuff which is a little better on the stomach...

Anyone tried sumatriptan? I've had it work a few times when I've taken it soon enough. Otherwise its a blindfold, earplugs and percoset.

I have, I believe. When I was a kid. Made me black out. Turns out it doesn't sit with me well. Oh, but what I'd give for some percocet when my Migraines come! Stingy British doctors don't hand that stuff out over here. They think everyone would become addicted... Which I wouldn't.. I'd probably use it as a very effective sleeping aid :)

I have Migraines and use imitrex self-injectors and percocet. Love the imitrex and hate the percocet, but here they are just the opposite - passing out the percocet like it is nothing and hoarding the imitrex. I am hoping that I can get imitrex in TJ when I go for my surgery. I have a RX here but the insurance company limits me to 4 shots a month and I can have 4 migraines in a week when the weather is changeable or I am under a lot of stress.

Has anyone gone to the pharmacies in TJ to get imitrex?

Anyone tried sumatriptan? I've had it work a few times when I've taken it soon enough. Otherwise its a blindfold, earplugs and percoset.

Sumatriptan is the generic name for Imitrex

I have traveled to Mexico a lot and always look for medications in the pharmacies when I'm down there. I've never seen A Mexican version of imitrex. Granted this was in the airports and areas around Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. I went to Tijuana once in college and never wanted to go back!

Edited by Bluesea71