Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been told so much about loosing my hair after surgery and have read a lot about it. I'm taking Biotin everyday like I was told. But what I have read people loose their hair in handfuls I'm kinda nervous about this I have my surgery next Monday. Is there any other things I can do to help prevent this? My hair takes forever to grow!!!

Wish there was something I could share that really helps. Some people say special shampoos are helpful and Biotin certainly doesn't hurt and get all your Protein. But most likely it will happen. Some people it doesn't happen to, most it does.

But I wouldn't say losing in handfuls. I would way when I washed my hair my hands would have a lot of strands, but not "handfuls" I could feel hair falling on my shoulder and my pillow had more hair on it than before but again, not handfuls. I am almost 1 year out and I think it has pretty much stopped for me. I would say it started about 5 months and subsided at about 10 months, for me. I cut my hair really short now (pixie - love it) and although I don't have a lot of hair it doesn't look like I've lost a lot either. I

Take your Biotin, eat your Protein, perhaps try the shampoos and be happy that you are taking control of your health and losing the weight. If you do lose hair, it WILL stop and will grow back.

Good luck!!!

Thanks sue jersey I know it's just a small thing to worry about. It's just I love my hair and it took 9 yrs to get it past shoulder length. But I'd rather get healthy, get this weight off and live a longer life.

protien and alot more protien A long time friend and DR. told me protien defeciences can cause Hair loss and i worked hard at keeping up on protien and did not have hair loss. Only a SD rednecks opinion.

Hey there! I think everyone is different and I also think that this is a common concern we all have or had. I almost cancelled my surgery because of it but my surgeon assured me that no one had gone bald because of it. That reassured me some and I went through with it. At about 5 months I did begin to have Hair loss. The problem with me and my hair is that I have always had very thin, baby fine hair so it didnt take too much hair loss to make it look bad.

I have always had a thinner spot in the back and now it is emphasized (I am a little over a year out) I started wearing my hair up for a while to camoflouge it but recently just cut it all off.

I went to the dr recently and he gave me a spray to help regrow hair, I also take biotin every day, and use Garnier Fall Fight shampoo/conditioner every day. I am thinking that it has helped some

I also went to the dr recently and they took some blood and put it through a machine and took out the platelets (I think or plasma or something) and then they injected it into my scalp all over, it was about 100 injections. I am hoping that this will stimulate growth. All this to say, I wouldnt change a thing! I have lost over a 100 pounds, I run a 5K , 3 times a week and my nicknames are now Skinny, Slim and Tiny . I might end up getting a little wig eventually but thats not a problem for me now!

Not everyone loses their hair. Unfortunately, I'm losing chunks of hair! I have been taking Biotin & hair Vitamins for awhile. I started losing it at 2.5 months & for me it's getting worse. People say don't sweat the small stuff it will grow back....

My hair is very fine to begin with.

Left side is what came out straight out of the shower & the right side is what came out when I combed it. :( Again, not everyone loses hair. Keep up with your Protein & supplements!

post-50545-13813670322069_thumb.jpg

I use to read posts about hair loss and didn't get to freaked out about it. As a precaution immediately after surgery and actually felt that I stopped losing hair and felt my hair was getting better than before surgery so I was EXCITED then........... I hit 3 months and OMG!!!!! It did start falling hey the handfuls. My lab and I were in competition. I was having to hair up everyday cuz u didn't want to use gel, blower, Iron or anything that would damage my very frail hair. I finally decided I needed help and went to salon. I colored hair (low lights, no bleach) and the stylist suggested a Brazilian blowout which is like a keratin treatment but a little better. The loss of hair has diminished GREATLY!!!! I continue to take Biotin and cut it short. It looks fuller and healthier. I say just prepare for the worst and hope for the best!!! When/If it gets bad I highly recommend a Keratin or Brazilian Blowout.

Don't not have surgery because of this worry, it is temporary and although scary as they say, this to shall pass and I never heard anyone say it never grew back and your new body will be forever!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Someone told me fish oil helps and I did some research and it seems the omega-3 fatty acids may help with hair growth and reduce loss. Here is the recommended brand/type: Barlean's Organic Oils Omega Swirl Fish Oil, Lemon Zest, 16-Ounce Bottle

http://amzn.com/B002VLZ8BW

Can't hurt to try it right?

Hi. So hair loss is really inevitable. Even if you eat your Protein exactly as recommended from day one (which most people cannot), you will still end up losing some hair simply due to the nature of the procedure and the shock to the body. However if you combine that with poor nutrition, low Protein, and dehydration, it will exasperate the effects of the loss dramatically. Start taking women's formulated Vitamins, plus get some 10,000 mg Biotin and take that daily before and after surgery. If you color your hair, you need to color it within the first month or 2 after surgery b/c you're not going to want to do it again after that. There are products by Bosley and Nutri-Ox sold at Sally Beauty supply that help. I used a combination shampoo/conditioner/scalp treatment as soon as i saw the loss start, until i was sure it had subsided. For me loss started promptly at month 4. The severe shedding phase where it comes out in gobs like the picture above, lasted about 6 weeks for me, but substantial shedding continued for at least another 6 weeks. I ordered Toppik (Hair fibers) online, and it is a miracle product. I used the auburn shade and it completely covered all areas where I could see too much scalp when parting my hair.

I stopped shampooing so frequently, reduced the amount of heat styling that I did, and tried to be very gentle. After the severe loss subsided I cut 4 inches off which made it look much healthier and fuller again. Everything is back to normal now and I have new growth all over (which i know b/c they are coming in gray :))

Someone told me fish oil helps and I did some research and it seems the omega-3 fatty acids may help with hair growth and reduce loss. Here is the recommended brand/type: Barlean's Organic Oils Omega Swirl Fish Oil, Lemon Zest, 16-Ounce Bottle

http://amzn.com/B002VLZ8BW

Can't hurt to try it right?

I love that stuff! My hair & skin feel a lot better & not so dry!

I love that stuff! My hair & skin feel a lot better & not so dry!

Good to know because I just ordered some yesterday.

I will admit I do love my hair and will do whatever I can to prevent loss, however I want to be a healthy weight more. If someone told me I had to shave my head in-order to lose weight I'd grab the clippers faster than you can blink! :)

Good to know because I just ordered some yesterday.

I will admit I do love my hair and will do whatever I can to prevent loss, however I want to be a healthy weight more. If someone told me I had to shave my head in-order to lose weight I'd grab the clippers faster than you can blink! :)

I knew it was inevitable however, it didn't stop me!

Sabrina I too love my hair, middle of my back length, long blonde and thick. We can be hair sisters on this site. Hehehhe

How long does Hair loss happe

How long does Hair loss happen