Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do I stop...goal weight related....

My goal is none of my Doc's concern. Or anybody else for that matter. I'm not interested in BMI's, graphs, charts or surveys. I'm know I'm really obese now and I remember what it felt like to be the right weight for me. That will be my goal. I will use the scale to keep going in the right direction, but I don't really care what the goal weight will be. I'll know when I get there. -_-

I'm having issues with the advice "stop when you feel comfortable". Stop what? Stop exercising? Stop eating healthy? If you're suggesting we "stop losing weight" what is the solution? Cakes? French fries? Potato chips? That's a slippery slope. I've NEVER had a problem gaining weight before surgery but this may be a reality for some of us in the future. Good luck and I stay HEALTHY.

Without being professionally measured for body fat by submersion or something, is there a way to estimate it? i don't think calipers would work due to the rolls of skin....From a looks perspective, I'd like to be the 25-30% range, I like some curviness.

Without being professionally measured for body fat by submersion or something' date=' is there a way to estimate it? i don't think calipers would work due to the rolls of skin....From a looks perspective, I'd like to be the 25-30% range, I like some curviness.[/quote']

I use a fat scale that tells me mine. Highest rated scale on Amazon. Eatsmart I think it's called

Sent from my iPhone using VST

BMI, number on the scale.....OR - a certain size???!!!!

BMI, which is probably the most important, from a doctor's point of view, it was icing on the cake to me.

scale, I wanted to be way below my husband. I am.

Clothing size, I kept lowering it, I started out wanting to be in a 12, but that happened pretty fast, so I lowered it to an 8 and realized that I had underestimated what could be done with this new little tummy. An 8's swallow me. I am wearing 4's and 6's. Even if it's all vanity sizing......it is gratifying.

Shallow???!!! Yes, but so what, right? Everyone is different, and everyone's goal is different, we all define 'success' differently. Some people want nothing more than to lose weight to get off all their medication, and rightly so. Goals run the gamut around here.

Without being professionally measured for body fat by submersion or something' date=' is there a way to estimate it? i don't think calipers would work due to the rolls of skin....From a looks perspective, I'd like to be the 25-30% range, I like some curviness.[/quote']

Yes, I googled it and there is a method where you measure waist, wrist, forearm, hips and weight I to a calculator. Sure not exactly perfect but pretty close.

I'm having issues with the advice "stop when you feel comfortable". Stop what? Stop exercising? Stop eating healthy? If you're suggesting we "stop losing weight" what is the solution? Cakes? French fries? Potato chips? That's a slippery slope. I've NEVER had a problem gaining weight before surgery but this may be a reality for some of us in the future. Good luck and I stay HEALTHY.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. We will NEVER be done! After three years, I am still learning the how's, nots and shoulds of living a healthy, somewhat normal life.

I reached goal, and all co morbidities were eliminated. Gained 25 lbs, figured out what I had to do, did it AGAIN, reached goal AGAIN. Normal BMI 22.6 or 23.1 according to what scale you use and now I want to lose another 5 or so to have a better bounce range.

I get so tired of people saying "Well, you don't have to worry anymore, do you?" Or I didn't think you could GAIN WEIGHT now !

I'm working much harder at this now than I did the first three years of VSG!!! It's for life, folks. Goals are Fluid.

For me, it wouldn't be "stopping" anything. Well, except weight loss. I would like to at some point be content with just maintaining- adding a few healthy calories. It will always be a battle. Just like before surgery- hence, NOT an "easy way out".

When I was deciding on a goal, what I originally did was just pick a just within normal BMI (which was 140lbs for me and put me at a BMI of 24.9). In the back of my head, I never really thought I would ever make it there. I had never weight that amount in my entire teenage to adult life (maybe when I was 10, or something like that!). I just decided that I would make changes that I could live with for the rest of my life and go from there. When I reached my goal weight and even dropped a few pounds below, I did a happy dance that is for sure!!

Setting a goal is a very personal thing. For everyone it is going to be different. The only thing that I wanted to do for myself was to make it attainable and realistic. I did not want to set myself up for failure by saying I want to weight 115lbs (still within normal for my height). I knew that it was something that I could never manage and would drive myself crazy trying to. Could I lose a few more pounds, well, probably, but I wouldn't be happy if it took everything in me just to get there and attempt to maintain. I had surgery so I could live a relatively normal life. I eat healthy, I am active, but I sometimes have an ice cream.

Here's the solution for me: more healthy fats and carbs, and the occasional treat.

Lynda

I plan to plant an avocado tree and an almond tree in my backyard for healthy fats and nuts at maintenance :) well j/k I suppose that would involve moving to southern climes where delicious things like this actually grow rather than the wet NW.

Who am I kidding - I have had my hands overly full with two Tomato plants this summer - could not eat that many tomatoes when we had two full sized tummies in the house :)

I seriously have the 100 cal pack of guacamole probably 4-5 times a week with a meal such as sliced red peppers, cukes, tomatoes and couple extra lean turkey franks.

I think it actually helped with weight loss on 5:2 increasing good fats. I have to pretty much leave nuts alone. I did buy 100 cal packs almonds but they are so dadgum expensive. I know. I should buy and bag my own. And I will at some point. Right now, I'm trying to abstain from most nuts. Higher cal for less bulk for me. Even if good ones.

Once I truly get to my "new" bounce I intend to slowly add back in good nuts.

My original goal was 180. I picked it as the weight made sense for a person of my height (5'11") and seemed "normal" according to the standard BMI chart. Hit that weight during post op 7 months and lost 180 lb, down from 360 from heaviest. However, I was still not happy with overall health. I was skinny fat with a body fat % approximately 22%. And my upper body was much to be desired in terms of a good body composition. So my response is to say start with a BMI number on a chart and then make some new goals. In last 8 months, my body fat % dropped to 13% and I have a good athletic build. Current weight is about 175 and oscillates up and down +-3 lbs. Am I happy? Not quite. I am still working on body composition in addition to health and fitness every day. It is a lot of work, but worth it in every way.

My original goal was 180. I picked it as the weight made sense for a person of my height (5'11") and seemed "normal" according to the standard BMI chart. Hit that weight during post op 7 months and lost 180 lb' date=' down from 360 from heaviest. However, I was still not happy with overall health. I was skinny fat with a body fat % approximately 22%. And my upper body was much to be desired in terms of a good body composition. So my response is to say start with a BMI number on a chart and then make some new goals. In last 8 months, my body fat % dropped to 13% and I have a good athletic build. Current weight is about 175 and oscillates up and down +-3 lbs. Am I happy? Not quite. I am still working on body composition in addition to health and fitness every day. It is a lot of work, but worth it in every way.[/quote']

Great dedication. You can't lose with that.