Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much damage....?

I am just going to put this question out there and ask for feedback of all types...be as blatant and harsh as necessary...I am thick skinned...I am going on a cruise next month...it will be my first cruise--actually first vacation--since my VSG...I was sleeved on May 9th, so when my cruise starts I will be at 5 months post-op...to date I have lost a little over 50 lbs--not as quickly as I had hoped but my health is getting better and the scale is still moving downward (although slowly most weeks)...my main problem right now--and what I think is the most contributing to my slow weight loss--is my lack of true exercise...and that is primarily a factor of how low my energy level is plus the standard excuse of long work hours this summer...as for my eating habits, I am generally pleased although I know I could do better--I am definitely not a role model for sure...my average daily calorie intake is around 800, and I generally get all of my Proteins and Vitamins in and do just ok with my Fluid intake...my food choices are about 75-80% "good"...about 10% "mediocre" and then the other 10% definitely not on-plan...I only have a bite every once in a while of starchy carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.--I never have anywhere near a serving--it's more like a single french fry or a bite of bread...I don't eat sweets or Desserts at all...what I do occasionally cheat on is something like fried foods--even though my quantity will be low, it's the food itself that is a cheat...for example, 80% of the time I eat lean meats like turkey or chicken grilled or fish grilled...but the other times I will cheat with a fried chicken finger...or a drumstick fried...I will sometimes even eat a few fried shrimp instead of the griled version...my big splurge food is peanut butter--I know it's high in calories, but I love it and it never makes my tummy feel bad--at least every other night I have a tablespoon or two, sometimes as my meal

ok...sorry for going on so long but I wanted to give you the background for my question...if you are still reading, that is :huh: as I said, next month I am going on a cruise...part of me wants to just take that week and do my best to "forget" I even had WLS--other than the amount of food...in other words, even though I cannot eat a large quantity of food, especially at one time, I just want to eat whatever I am in the mood to eat--even if it's bread....or french fries...or fried chicken...even if I can only eat 5 french fries...and if I want to have a cookie, for example, I want to eat one, even if that becomes my Breakfast for the day...my question to you and the feedback I want is this: how much damage could this do? I don't really mean physical damage (since I will be 5 months post-op), even though feedback on that is welcome...I am also not extremely concerned about possibly gaining a couple of pounds....but to be honest the main "damage" I am concerned about is emotional damage; i.e., starting down a slippery slope by allowing myself to go so completely off my dietary plan :unsure: I am worried that I will like the feeling of eating what I want and that this will make it difficult to get back on track once my vacation is over

ok....lay it on me...as I said any and all feedback is wanted

Bend over... I am getting the belt :P Look at you.... over 50lbs down with some to go! Great Job!

Here is my honest opinion on this, you came on and asked everyone to be frank and possibly a little harsh. It is easy to say "why did you have this surgery to just go back to your old habits" "Why even ask are you looking for permission?" I am not going to say that... I am going to say this, you are human it is insane, crazy, outrageous and ridiculous to think that you are going to be spot on 100% of the time. If you restrict too much than you are going to be unhappy and potentially mess up even worse in the end. I honestly believe that when you are on this trip that you need to not "forget" you had WLS but I think you need to allow yourself to partake in the foods you are wanting, but in a controlled manner. I honestly believe you should make a plan and stick to it, stay on plan for Breakfast and lunch but have a cheat with dinner, maybe you have dessert one night. Maybe one day it is breakfast that you "cheat" on and you stay on track for lunch and dinner. The last thing you want is to be sick on your trip and you don't want to come home and have to lose that weight you worked so hard for already. I hope you have a phenomenal trip! and I wish you all the luck in the world!

I haven't had surgery but I've been on a cruise and honestly you will be having so much fun food won't be as big of an issue... Alcohol might be :-( but the food is good but not all that... I was so busy I forgot to eat every meal... I made it a goal to maintain weight on the cruise not lose and not gain.... Enjoy the cruise they are fantastic.... I think you need to take each meal as the come but don't stress over the food.... Careful with the drinks they hand u one as u walk onto the boat.... Lol!

I ain't gonna beat you up!

Just think. You want to be normal! But then ask yourself "do normal people put food at the tippy top of every party, vacation, every DAY?" Go on the cruise and have fun. Maybe try to be a 'normal person' and put food in it's proper place.

Have FUN, and walk around the deck!

I'd say have fun, take many opportunities to walk around the decks, and take the stairs instead of the elevator when you can. Since you'll have plenty of food options, I don't think it's the end of the world if you decide to treat yourself and have some unhealthy food from time to time. You'll have to keep your portion sizes small, but even french fries aren't that bad for you if you have them in small quantities.

I'd say if you're wanting to pretend that you didn't have WLS, have tiny portions of all the goodies. At... 6/7 months out I went to a car show at the fair grounds. I have never had a deep fried Twinkie and had always wanted one. My friend wanted one too, so I bought one, had a nibble, and then he ate the rest.

I've always been about Portion Control. Why deprive yourself, when you could have a small taste and be satisfied? If having a small bite would trigger you to go completely crazy and down a gallon of ice cream, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you can handle a little bite, go for it!

thanks for all the advice and feedback, y'all....I am taking all this in and processing it

What I say to my self is, It will on taste good for a little while. And is the food really important enough to have to start over and to lose the weight you gained.

As an example, I went out with co-workers for lunch today. I had a relatively healthy wrap (well just part of one...not the whole thing.) Then I had 1/2 of one french fry. I got to enjoy it, but with that plus the portion of the wrap I was able to eat, I was completely full and satisfied.

No reprimand from me. I'm a band revision (12 wks) and I eat whatever I want (including bread, potatoes, Pasta, etc) but in very small portions. I haven't been on a cruise since being sleeved but have been on 4 since being banded so I think that's close enuf. The only 1 I gained weight on was my last 1 (this past May to Alaska) and my band was totally unfilled awaiting revision. Crauises do a good job of offerring a variety of healthy food options, a gym to work out, and the option to walk a lot. I mean a lot. Ull have to do a lot of walking just to eat! We eat in the dining room for breakfast and dinner and at the buffet 4 lunch. I usually did about 1/4 of an order of eggs benedict and 1/4 of a croissant for breakfast, salad bar for lunch, and fish or chicken with potatoes or Pasta for dinner. What got me on the last cruise (besides having very little restriction from an unfilled band) was the 24 hr room service. It ook advantage of it everynite at 11. Id order a turkey sandwihc (eating maybe 1/2) and a pc of chocolate cake. Carnival makes yummy chocolate cake.

U CAN stay on track on a cruise. Our 1st 1 I actually lost 2 lbs. Had no clue I got seasick. Now I get an RX for a patch 4 behind my ear. Works well.

So have fun....wish I was going on a cruise soon. I wouldn't worry about tracking anything (cell phone rates r way hi on a cruise) and learn to listen to ur body. Ur sleeve is there for Portion Control. Make wise choices and ur sleeve will tell u when. Bring ur gym clothes (we SAW the gym once! Lol) and work out. Walk around the ship and in ports.

The worst that can happen is ull eat 2 much crap and ull gain 5 lbs. Whoopty Doo. Have fun. Where r u going, btw?

thanks, marci...this cruise we are going to nassau, st. thomas and st. maarten...I have been on this itinerary before, but it's been awhile, so I am excited about it...plus, it's my first time on this ship (Royal Carribean's Allure), and it's supposed to be one of the largest and nicest in the fleet