Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was today 9/25/13

I just wanted to give a very short report on my surgery experience. I'm in St. Louis and used Dr. Morales at De Paul Hospital. Check-in and pre-op was great, and entertaining as the nurses were really great and fun. The anesthesiologist came in, asked a bunch of questions and went over what he was going to do. Another great guy. Stated I'm going to be out before I leave the little pre-surgery room and I was.

Dr. Morales came in and described the surgery again and answered any questions I had. I woke up in recovery in no pain, feeling only bad heart burn. They said that was normal and that it would go away with walking but they were going to give me Pepsid which they did and helped much but didn't take it entirely away. After they got me to the room and took an order for me for "my lunch" :) and hooked me up to everything, I tried sleeping but they come in so much to take vitals that was kind of a waste. I got up and took a walk and couldn't believe how much nothing hurt, how much energy I had walking and how easy it was to walk normal speed. Walked quite a distance too.

Back in the room again I tried sleeping again and did get a little in. Went walking again and walked pretty far this time and didn't even feel like I was doing anything out of the ordinary (walking is out of the ordinary for me).

Just a quick note on the diet too. I started a week ago today on my clear liquid diet and honestly never felt hungry. To anyone looking for a good Protein drink I got the Premier Protein chocolate and it, to me and another guy at work who I gave one too, is fabulous. Taste exactly like chocolate milk in the dairy section. I get mine at Sams but he got some at costco and said they were about 20 cents each cheaper at costco. The vanilla tasted exactly like the Chocolate with a little taste of powder inside so I won't be choosing that one. They have 30 grams of Protein and 160 calories, 1 gram of fat in each carton.

So, I hope this continues but thought this might ease some folks fears so wanted to get it on here.

Rick. Congratulations. Truly, you will feel little pain. WALK WALK WALK! Passing gas is a blessing - so keep walking.

Hey Rick, I'm on day 15 now. You're not alone here... we've all been through it or will go through it soon enough. Get ready, once you're off morphine your largest incision site will start to hurt underneath in the muscle wall. For me that lasted about 6-8 days after surgery but for some it lasts longer. You're going to start shrinking soon but it's a struggle at first. Be prepared to hate and then love your decision and then hate it again only to come around and hopefully love it.

Congratulations and welcome to the "club". Sounds like you are off to a good start, it is important to follow your Dr's orders and focus on the big three: Protein, Water, and healing! Every day gets better and keeping positive without focusing on your scale will help overcome the "bumps" (heartburn, feeling stuffed, and weight fluctuations) as they come alone and then disappear.

That's fantastic!! Good for you for making such a big decision in your life and going through with it. It's great to hear discomfort is minimal for you. I hope my surgery goes as well as yours:)

Congrats on your successful start to a new life. I can't wait to have my surgery. Good luck with your journey!

Congratulations and to a speedy recovery!

Just had my chest ex-ray and everything was perfect, no leaks or anything. Best news is I have had absolutely no pain whatsoever. Now they do give you pain medicine plus the 3 day Novocaine whatever that is. Like said by others I'm sure I will but I can take pain, I just was worried about the nausea and keeping things down or which I've had no problems. Honestly, I could've went to work today I feel that good. :)

Just had my chest ex-ray and everything was perfect' date=' no leaks or anything. Best news is I have had absolutely no pain whatsoever. Now they do give you pain medicine plus the 3 day Novocaine whatever that is. Like said by others I'm sure I will but I can take pain, I just was worried about the nausea and keeping things down or which I've had no problems. Honestly, I could've went to work today I feel that good. :)[/quote']

Thats awesome! I hope my surgery goes that well. Tomorrow my lapband comes out and then in 4 weeks my sleeve will be done.

Well, came home today. I had a horrible night last night but nothing to do with the surgery. I got a cold and was coughing all night. It's bad enough that you never get sleep after the surgery because they are checking on you and give you medication what seems like every hour so along with being super tired I was hurting from the coughing.

That seemed to go away by mid morning and by noon we were out the door. First thing I did was go home and hit my bed and slept for about six hours. Feel great and cannot say enough how great everyone at the hospital, nurses, staff, radiologist, everyone was. I'm going back to work Monday (desk job so no big deal). Again, I feel great. Just got the second of my Premier Protein shake down so one more. Just have to remember to drink slowly but even the pain of drinking fast is not that bad but it does remind you of not taking that second drink fast. :)

My nurse had the sleeve in March and she's down 85 pounds and wouldn't change a thing. She loves it. I did weigh 4 pounds more today when I got home than when I left for the hospital from all the fluids they pump in you because I barely ate anything the entire time in the hospital.

Poor guy. Coughing had to be a nightmare.

Thanks for posting your experience. I have surgery next Tuesday. Hoping it goes as well as yours did.

Thanks for posting your experience. I have surgery next Tuesday. Hoping it goes as well as yours did.

I'm sure it will, just go in with a positive attitude. You'll do great. Best of luck. :)

Congrats on your surgery RickMG I have mine next Tuesday and I hope it goes as well as yours. Hope you continue to heal smoothly.

Thank you, like stated above, I think attitude has a lot to do with it. You'll do great and best wishes for everything going well. :)

This was awesome Rick.. hearing that positive feedback will definitely help others. . is sure helping me. Congrats and God bless! #Lovethisone