Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to celebrate my 2 year sleeve-aversary!

Hello all!! It's terribly strange for me to say that in just a few weeks I'll be celebrating my 2 year sleeve-aversery! In some ways it feels like I had my sleeve done years and years ago, and other ways it feels like just yesterday. I thought I'd pop back on because I remember reading these posts before my sleeve and wondering what I was in for. I also remember wondering why there didn't seem to be many veterans on here. If I may, let me give you a little insight on what it's like 2 years later. My highest weight was 342.2 (every oz counts right?) and now I stay between 168 and 171....if you're doing the math...171.1 is exactly half my weight. Odd isn't it? I was never one to really work out. I would walk in the neighborhood, maybe. But working out? No way. I can remember reading posts about people finding the fun in working out and I thought they must be nuts. Funny that I have now become one of those folks. I am at the Y every Mon/Wed/Fri and alternate between Zumba and a strength class. Depending on the week I'll add yoga in on Tues/ Thurs but I'm not always able to fit that in. I've competed in several 5k's and will be doing a mud run this Saturday. The most exciting thing for me is that in August I got my Zumba certification and hope to begin teaching that soon. Two years ago, had you told me that fitness would become this important to me, I would have laughed at you. As for food, I feel as though I eat fairly normal. I do stay away from breads because I don't like the way they feel in my stomach, and for me, one bite could easily lead to 7. Sugars? I do allow myself a very small dessert on Sundays only...my mom cooks a big Sunday dinner for the family and I do allow a taste. My portions are different from where they were in the first few months, but still no where near what I used to eat, or what everyone else is eating for that matter. I still measure deli meat and Proteins just to make sure my portions stay in check. I can tell you that I have zero regrets, aside from the old cliché regret that I wish I had done it sooner. I'm enjoying shopping and feel pretty again...which ladies, let's be honest. Cute clothes do not come with x's or w's attached to the size. I have gone from a 26 and 28 to a 6. It's unreal! Recently I was asked by my doctor to film a web spot for him which later turned into a commercial and 3 billboards (which still blows my mind). I'm posting the link just so that, if you're interested, you can hear a little bit about my story. I'm hoping that any of you who might be on the fence, hear this or read this and trust that it's truly a life saving procedure! Little things like walking up the stairs without getting winded, fitting into a booth, tossing your meds...crossing your legs....all of this is possible! And let me also say this, I swore that even after my surgery I would stick around this board. To help and encourage others, to stay in touch...but let me tell you. I am no longer a sit in the chair and surf the web kind of girl. Our tv is rarely on. I think, the reason why you don't see many old timers on here is because they've found their energy...they're out and about. We haven't left you and we certainly haven't forgotten where we started from....but life is now night and day better. I wish all of you luck in your journey and pray that you have successes beyond your wildest dreams!! The link to my story is : http://www.srmconline.com/weightloss/Pages/My%20Journey.aspx Click on hear my story, I'm Kristin ;-) Wishing you all the best!!

Hello all!! It's terribly strange for me to say that in just a few weeks I'll be celebrating my 2 year sleeve-aversery! In some ways it feels like I had my sleeve done years and years ago' date=' and other ways it feels like just yesterday. I thought I'd pop back on because I remember reading these posts before my sleeve and wondering what I was in for. I also remember wondering why there didn't seem to be many veterans on here. If I may, let me give you a little insight on what it's like 2 years later. My highest weight was 342.2 (every oz counts right?) and now I stay between 168 and 171....if you're doing the math...171.1 is exactly half my weight. Odd isn't it? I was never one to really work out. I would walk in the neighborhood, maybe. But working out? No way. I can remember reading posts about people finding the fun in working out and I thought they must be nuts. Funny that I have now become one of those folks. I am at the Y every Mon/Wed/Fri and alternate between Zumba and a strength class. Depending on the week I'll add yoga in on Tues/ Thurs but I'm not always able to fit that in. I've competed in several 5k's and will be doing a mud run this Saturday. The most exciting thing for me is that in August I got my Zumba certification and hope to begin teaching that soon. Two years ago, had you told me that fitness would become this important to me, I would have laughed at you. As for food, I feel as though I eat fairly normal. I do stay away from breads because I don't like the way they feel in my stomach, and for me, one bite could easily lead to 7. Sugars? I do allow myself a very small dessert on Sundays only...my mom cooks a big Sunday dinner for the family and I do allow a taste. My portions are different from where they were in the first few months, but still no where near what I used to eat, or what everyone else is eating for that matter. I still measure deli meat and Proteins just to make sure my portions stay in check. I can tell you that I have zero regrets, aside from the old cliché regret that I wish I had done it sooner. I'm enjoying shopping and feel pretty again...which ladies, let's be honest. Cute clothes do not come with x's or w's attached to the size. I have gone from a 26 and 28 to a 6. It's unreal! Recently I was asked by my doctor to film a web spot for him which later turned into a commercial and 3 billboards (which still blows my mind). I'm posting the link just so that, if you're interested, you can hear a little bit about my story. I'm hoping that any of you who might be on the fence, hear this or read this and trust that it's truly a life saving procedure! Little things like walking up the stairs without getting winded, fitting into a booth, tossing your meds...crossing your legs....all of this is possible! And let me also say this, I swore that even after my surgery I would stick around this board. To help and encourage others, to stay in touch...but let me tell you. I am no longer a sit in the chair and surf the web kind of girl. Our tv is rarely on. I think, the reason why you don't see many old timers on here is because they've found their energy...they're out and about. We haven't left you and we certainly haven't forgotten where we started from....but life is now night and day better. I wish all of you luck in your journey and pray that you have successes beyond your wildest dreams!! The link to my story is : http://www.srmconline.com/weightloss/Pages/My%20Journey.aspx Click on hear my story, I'm Kristin ;-) Wishing you all the best!!

Thanks so much for posting. Congratulations!!!!

WOW! Great story and you look FANTASTIC! Congratulations! :)

Thank you for sharing. :-)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am three weeks post op today. Doing well for the most part....struggling somewhat with the transition of eating so much less etc. Some days it is hard to wrap my mind around it. I have a question for you - do u experience any acid reflux? I am already having a little and my dr has me on zantac twice daily. I am concerned that it may be worse later on down the road. Wondering what your experience has been with this?? I watched your video...such an inspiration. Thank you!

Although i am doing far better than i could have dreamed, the worry of course is whether i can maintain it. stories like yours are very helpful--thanks

It is so encouraging to hear that sleeverss are maintaining their weight and energy for several years. IMy scheduled surgery is November 13. I know I can lose weight..I did this for 40 years. However, I could not keep the weight off. I am exhausted for going on and off diets., mentally and physically. This is my last resort and I hear such positive results. Ii Know I have to depart from my comforting friend, food, who has kept me from living my life fully. I plan on seeing a physiologist pre and post surgery . I know that my mindset must change to make this the last time on losing my excess weight. I don't plan to share this event with anyone except my husband. I don't want to hear judgements or someone watching for me to fail. (Which has happened in the past). This is my journey...I don't need to explain to someone of my whys. The hospital where I am having surgery has great resources, pre and post o, p. , workshops ,msmall group discussions and monthly forums.

I know that the surgery is a Tool and I will have to safeguard my small stomach..

I am optimistic..however,kinda scared of having complications, which to me is normal feelings for any type of surgery. In the meantime, I am being patient and kind to myself. Have a great day.

I did struggle with acid reflux in the beginning and I was on zantac twice a day also. At about the 6month mark though, my dr started to wean me from 2 to 1 per day. Then shortly after that I stopped it all together and have had no issues. Hopefully the same will happen for you too!! We go through enough, dealing with reflux on top of it just seems cruel ;-) And as for worrying about re-gaining it...I worry about that too. But, I'm trusting in myself and my new habits and focusing on how things are now and how awful it would be to return to how I was. I also know how gross I feel if I eat something too greasy or too sweet, I'm hoping that my body will continue to give me signs when something is a no-no. Think about it though, we're eating good foods of course our body will scream at us if we deviate from that...right? lol Congrats to you guys and good luck!! ♥

Your video is great - so inspirational and you look amazing! Thanks....

Wow that's great! You know I just found the veterans forum here! You should transfer your original post there the ones that are years out would love to see it.

Great motivation! Thank you!