Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know most people or carb crazy but will I ever be able to eat a sandwich again?

Thanks for responding guys and letting me know what you can have. I am going through some mental hurdles right now trying to decide if this decision was the best decision of my life or the absolute worst. It does seem to get easier daily though. This is where the rubber meets the road though with me. I am 2 weeks and 1 day out. By now, if I were on a diet and not sleeved it would have flown out the window by now and I'd have a heap of McDonalds sitting in front of me as I typed this. But I can't now, this is my path. In a way I am mourning my old self but on the flipside to that coin, that person was literally killing me.

So thank you for sharing, it does get better.

The first 3-4 weeks after surgery was hell for me since I didnt have a pre op diet. So I was detoxing from breads, sugar, caffine, etc. I have to say I wasnt the best person to be around.

Thanks for responding guys and letting me know what you can have. I am going through some mental hurdles right now trying to decide if this decision was the best decision of my life or the absolute worst. It does seem to get easier daily though. This is where the rubber meets the road though with me. I am 2 weeks and 1 day out. By now' date=' if I were on a diet and not sleeved it would have flown out the window by now and I'd have a heap of McDonalds sitting in front of me as I typed this. But I can't now, this is my path. In a way I am mourning my old self but on the flipside to that coin, that person was literally killing me.

So thank you for sharing, it does get better.[/quote']

Early on, I said it was a lot like breaking up with someone who was bad for you. You know you need to kick him to the curb, you know he's horrible for you, but a part of you still loves him just a little and wishes he'd change so you could still be together, and some warped part of you still misses that loser!

Why would this be any different, right? :)

It totally does get better.........I promise! :) What you are going through right now is completely normal and part of the process. Before you know it you will be past this and smiling really big at what you have done for yourself. :)

Beach Lover is so right! It does get tons better- I had a few of those moments of "OMG what did I do?" and flipped out once because I couldn't eat a whole red bell pepper anymore. :). Look at the recipes section and you'll find a whole world or tasty foods and work arounds of your fave foods. If you don't like to cook, still try, because there's nothing healthier than cooking yourself- you know all the ingredients that go in it and can sub healthy (Greek yogurt) for unhealthy (full fat sour cream), etc. Further down the road, IF you try mcDonalds again, your taste buds will probably say "yuck"! The fun is just getting started for you- weight loss and healthy body changes ahead...buckle up! :)

Endless 80

I know how you feel I was sleeve two weeks ago and I have to say I am a carb addict. There are people who just downright don't want to eat carbs ever again. I too have sandwich dreams and I also love Italian food. I have these crazy cravings which are crazy but alas I am not able to indulge and I'm grateful for that. But at the same time I'm frustrated, I want to eat and have hope for the future tone able to go out to dinner and do that eat but know my limit.

I'm a year out and eat Subway sandwiches every once in a while. BUT my trainer and NUT both encourage a healthy amount of carbs. I just ask them to scoop out the inside "doughy" part and I don't have an issue at all. I can't quite eat all of a 6" but probably about 4 1/2-5". And toasting does help with bread but I'm not a fan of that so I just limit my bread intake.

8 months out here and there is NO WAY I could eat a 6 inch sub. I had a filet o fish yesterday and only ate most of the fist piece and almost a half of a bun and I was stuffed...like to the point where it was hurting a little. I try to stay away from bread because it fills me up so fast. Even wraps i try to take most of it off. I can be very strict on my carbs, but I find that even on those days that I think I ate A LOT of carbs I have only managed about 100 grams. It is still very difficult at my stage to eat the Protein I need first and then still have room for carbs.

ok apparently i am a fat ass. i am 6 weeks out and i can eat a 6 inch sub from subway without the bread. i am full at the end but i am not uncomfortable or in pain, and i assumed that was a decent meal until reading this thread. i think that as time goes on you will feel really happy about the surgery, and since you are a guy im sure youll lose lots of weight really quickly and you wont have a crazy stall. i love Pasta and want to have some one day too and i hope that doesnt mean the surgery was a waste of time. theres a girl on here right now that is 1 yr and 8 mths out and said she eats whatever she wants, she weighs 165 and i want to be her when i grow up. btw gamergirl you look great.

I am 16 months out and I couldn't eat a 6 inch. We are all different though. I could possibly do 3inch, if I liked that sort of food, but I don't.

I do eat some bread, but not a lot. When I do it is toasted or flat mostly though sometimes I will enjoy thinly sliced baguette with cheeses and pâté.

ok apparently i am a fat ass. i am 6 weeks out and i can eat a 6 inch sub from subway without the bread. i am full at the end but i am not uncomfortable or in pain,

Okay, that literally made me laugh out loud. I almost spit up my muscle milk I am drinking. LOL!

Early on, I said it was a lot like breaking up with someone who was bad for you. You know you need to kick him to the curb, you know he's horrible for you, but a part of you still loves him just a little and wishes he'd change so you could still be together, and some warped part of you still misses that loser!

Why would this be any different, right? :)

This is very true. I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday. I woke up today 2 pounds lighter and it just reinforces my commitment to this. Everything will come in time. This is the new me and if I like it or not I got this surgery to enforce the new me from slipping back in to my old ways. The sleeve is doing its job.

Just curious... for those who are post op out 3-4-5-6 months or more. Can you eat a sandwich? Like a 6 inch sub from Subway?

Or is this just a pipe dream that I'll just have to forget about in my future?

*note* If you're a CARB NAZI (and you know who you are) please don't comment. Your advice is appreciated but not needed. I respect balance now in my life.

I'm 18 months out and ordered a 6 inch port a sub sandwich the other day. I was able to eat 3 inch at one meal then the other 3 inch at next meal.

So i saw something cute on pinterest yesterday. Little tiny sliders made from one meatball each. Like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3306861303_6638d65637.jpg

Totally doable, right??

2 years out and i can only eat a half a sandwich at most - usually without top bread or bun. my meal plan only allows for half a piece of bread. so i would say a half of subway 6 inch. u can cheat in a way by eating gooey type sandwich like u mentioned french dip or meat loaf bc they shrink down in mass but not in calories/fat/carb. something that is softer though like a cupcake u can eat and its not as mass - more air. but again its not the size but nutrients of the item you are consuming. why not evenually try subway without top bun. open face.

I'm just using that as an example. I don't want to never have bread again in my life. For me I would have eaten a 12 inch sub' date=' double meat with a large coke and a bag of chips easily. Now I value simplicity and a simple half a grilled cheese will do.. lol but in moderation, not multiple times a week. Some people get so weird on these forums when you talk about carbs. I feel like I've spent a couple of lifetimes on low carb diets. Now I crave moderation and balance.[/quote']

Well said! I have wondered if I would be able to eat a kids subway sandwich. I know it is only three or four inches, but it seems pretty daunting right now. I loved subway and can't imagine not having it again

So i saw something cute on pinterest yesterday. Little tiny sliders made from one meatball each. Like this:

http://farm4.static...._6638d65637.jpg

Totally doable, right??

YUM! Oh yeah, that looks delish.