Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is 185 a good weight

Hey guys just wondering about your goal weights , I originally wanted to set my goal weight at 200 lbs I'm 5'9". I know that the government has all these weird BMI charts and at 200 it still appears I would be in the obese category. My body type is always huge thighs like a line backer and big ol pot belly. So should I shoot for a goal weight of 185, I want to reduce my body fat percentage to at least under 15%. What is your goal weight,and if you couldn't reach that goal at what weight do you feel comfortable being? I believe when I make 200 lbs I could be comfortable at this weight because I haven't been that small since I was a kid.

My fist goal is to be under 200 lbs. My second goal is to be under 30% body fat. I really don't care what the charts say. I think some of them are just crazy! I actually sat down with my regular Dr. And we came up with a reasonable goal.for me.

I agree some of the charts want you to be at some super skinny weight.....

I am currently 4 weeks post-op. I am 5' 7.5". My highest weight was 289. My doctors goal for me is to lose 50 to 70% of my excess body weight. So if my ideal weight is 160 then I had 129lbs of excess body weight. 50 to 70% of 129 is between 64 and 90 lbs. So my doctors goal for me would be between 225lbs and 199lbs.

The reasoning for the 50 to 70% is because that is the average that people tend to lose. Keep in mind some will lose less and some will lose more. I want to be one of the ones that will lose more. I want to end up between 160 and 180 lbs. With that being said I am following my doctors orders to a T. I have restarted my exercise program. As of this morning I am 236 lbs. That means I am only 11 lbs from the high end of my doctors goal for me and I am only 4 weeks post-op. Woohoo for me.

I am currently 4 weeks post-op. I am 5' 7.5". My highest weight was 289. My doctors goal for me is to lose 50 to 70% of my excess body weight. So if my ideal weight is 160 then I had 129lbs of excess body weight. 50 to 70% of 129 is between 64 and 90 lbs. So my doctors goal for me would be between 225lbs and 199lbs.

The reasoning for the 50 to 70% is because that is the average that people tend to lose. Keep in mind some will lose less and some will lose more. I want to be one of the ones that will lose more. I want to end up between 160 and 180 lbs. With that being said I am following my doctors orders to a T. I have restarted my exercise program. As of this morning I am 236 lbs. That means I am only 11 lbs from the high end of my doctors goal for me and I am only 4 weeks post-op. Woohoo for me.

That sounds awesome, thanks. Congrats on your progress.

Set the goal you want. As you get close, you'll find the balance between food and activity and through them, a good weight. Then adjust your goal.. Weight is not first. A new relationship with food and activity is first. (IMHO)

According to the charts, I should weigh 107 lbs for my height & body frame. but i think 107 is too small. My current weight is 129 & I wouldn't be upset if I don't lose another pound as long as my previous medical conditions remain nonexistent. But doctor expects I'll lose another 10 at 1 yr post op. Overall I'm pleased.

I'm 5-10 with a large frame (big bones). I've seen myself at 165 and I looked too skinny. I'm going to shoot for 180 when things are all said and done :)

My original goal was 200 but as I get closer to that point I am thinking 180 is probably where I want to be. I am 5'6". I don't really care what those BMI charts say because everyone is different so you can't cookie cutter things like that. The most important thing is to find where you feel healthy and happy. Good Luck.

I'm 6'-3 and my goal weight is 215. Any less and I think I'd look too skinny.

I'm 5'9" as well and when I started at 321, I thought it was a pipe dream to get under 200. Once I reached that goal, I thought maybe I could get to a BMI of 24 for ONCE in my life, which would be 168 pounds but I really didn't believe I could make it. Once I went under 190, I knew I could make my goal so I am headed there but I don't care how quickly. I am in a size 10 jeans for the first time ever and I love the way I feel and look so if I don't lose any more, I will be fine but I am going to shoot for that goal. I think it is a very personal thing and you need to shoot for what feels good for you. It also may change when you get closer! The greatest thing about this is it is YOUR journey, not anyone elses and we are all individuals! Good luck on whatever goal you set! :D

Set the goal you want. As you get close, you'll find the balance between food and activity and through them, a good weight. Then adjust your goal.. Weight is not first. A new relationship with food and activity is first. (IMHO)
I have to agree with Arts 137, I had set a goal in accordance with the BMI charts, my doc told me to be a little more conservative...I'm just trying to lose the weight, goals are just that goals...I pretty much have new goals every week with the sleeve, lose 5 lbs, then lose 5 more lbs, I figure when I've lost enough weight I'll know...still a long, long way from getting there...learning to exercise and eat right are huge right now. That and staying healthy, which goes right back to learning to exercise and eat right...

When I was on Weight Watchers My "ideal weight" according to them was between 159-179... I am 6 foot tall! When I started my journey back in 2007 I was 430 lbs... I had the lap band surgery... I lost about 150lbs... However I had to have the band removed because of complications last October... I went back up to 300 lbs... I had my sleeve surgery on Sept. 11th! I'm down to 276. I would like to get at least 200lbs and see how I feel... I think that the US weight ideals are crazy low... You should set a short term goal, see how you feel and if you want to go for more- do it! Whatever makes you feel good!

I set my goal at 190 -200 but I'm 6-1 I'm waiting to c what I look like and how I feel.