Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need information from anyone who has seen Dr. Aceves in Mexicali!

I am new to this forum, and I have been looking in to going down to Mexicali to get the gastric sleeve procedure done by Alberto Aceves. Has anyone else gone to him for thid particular procedure? I have several questions regarding the process of getting something like this done in such a far away location.

1. Is it safe, is it clean?!

2. Do they do everything over the phone, or do you go down to meet with the surgeon some time before the actual procedure is done?

3. Can someone sum up what the whole experience is, from beginning to end?!

I just filled out my online application and I cannot wait to hear back from them. I am so nervous, but so excited to be on my way to a healthier, more active, and happier me!!!

nomorecupcakes, plenty of sleevers have used Dr. Aceves. I am sure many of his patients will be able to give you the skinny :) Try useing the search option in the upper right hand corner, and you'll be able to search all of your questions, and get answers faster. I know being a Mexico sleever can be scary :) I used Dr. Lopez through ALighterMe. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about Mexico in general. Good luck!!

Both my mom and I went to Dr. Aceves and couldn't be happier... He was a little more expensive but I wanted the best and to feel completely comfortable and safe! The hospital is very clean and the nurses are great however some of them don't speak a lot of English however they know sounds of pain and are quick to give you something :).... Fear set in ten fold when I landed in San Diego but I just kept telling myself that everything will be all worth it in the long run... Everything is done over the phone with Nina... She is great!! :) let me know if you have any more questions

Hi there, you can look at my profile (gallery) and see pics of my experience with Dr. Aceves at Hospital Almater. Overall, extremely positive experience. He is more expensive than some others (he costs $8750), but you are paying for a better experience.

1. Hospital was spotless, new, and all modern equipment, etc. I was very comfortable there.

2. Yes, the day before surgery, I was taken in to the hospital to do the pre-op tests (blood, urine, ekg and chest xray). After that, Dr. Aceves came and talked to me and spent as much time as I needed answering questions, telling me exactly what would happen during and after surgery. After Dr. Aceves, came Dr. Campos who also talked to me about the surgery, but also the nutrition guidelines for afterwards.

3. I didn't have one complaint about the experience. There are some nurses that speak english well, and some that do not, but communicating was never an issue for me. There are always several nurses sitting right outside your door (at the nurse's station) and Aceves comes to check on you every day you are there, and most days Dr. Campos came by as well. The three days of recovery in the hospital was very important to me. I haven't seen another doctor that keeps you in that long. I needed it, even though my surgery went really well and I had no complications at all. I wanted to be waited on while my stomach was sore! Oh, also he does three leak tests. One during surgery, one on day two when you drink a blue dye and they see if it comes out your drain, and then one with an xray where you have to swallow the barium solution and they watch it go down. Check out my pics, and feel free to ask any questions. I don't hesitate to recommend Aceves b/c my experience was better than I could have expected.

I echo what the others have said. I went alone, so I wanted a surgeon I felt comfortable with and who had his patients stay in the hospital for aftercare. Yes, he is more expensive than some, but I feel I more than got my money's worth. I wanted the 24-hour care and the security of being in a hospital just in case...

I had very little to no pain. Just like I did 5,000 sit-ups. Good pain meds in that IV :D The hospital and my room were spotless. They cleaned and mopped my room twice a day. And it seemed every time I did laps around the nurses station, I had to walk around a cleaning cart. Not complaining about that!

Most speak a little English. Some better than others. Nina sends you a cheat sheet with the most common phrases English to Spanish. I had one question that wasn't on the list, but another sleever was able to translate for me.

Ernesto the driver picks you up at baggage claim, takes you to the hospital for the tests and to meet Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos so they can answer all your questions. Then you go to the hotel for your last meal and stay up all night cause you're too excited/nervous to sleep. Or at least I was.

Sorry this is so long. I just had such a great experience. Starlet did a great post about the process. It was so similar to mine that I copied & edited it on my blog here so I wouldn't forget. If you can't find her post, PM me and I'll give you access to my blog if you want a step-by-step story. Or just feel free to PM me if I can answer any of your questions.

Wow... thank you ladies for all your help and information! My wife is coming with me, thank God! You Amy are so brave forgoing on your own. Is there s place to sleep for a guest in the hospital room? Is it safe to leave all your belongings in the hotel room while you walk around? My wife needs wifi so she can do her homework. Do you know if they have that there? I will be scheduling my surgery for 11/4 sometime this week and I am petrified.. but excited to be healthier and happier!

Wow... thank you ladies for all your help and information! My wife is coming with me, thank God! You Amy are so brave forgoing on your own. Is there s place to sleep for a guest in the hospital room? Is it safe to leave all your belongings in the hotel room while you walk around? My wife needs wifi so she can do her homework. Do you know if they have that there? I will be scheduling my surgery for 11/4 sometime this week and I am petrified.. but excited to be healthier and happier!

Yes, there is a couch for your guest to sleep on in the hospital room. My mom thought it was comfortable. We left our belongings in the closet in the room, but I can tell you you're not going to be walking very far... just mostly in the hallway in front of the rooms to get yourself moving a bit each day. Both the hospital and the hotel have wifi, and both worked well. It's normal to be scared of any surgery (especially in another country), but as you can see.... we were all in very good hands, and you will be too!