Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone on the depo shot an still losing weight :-(

Just a personal opinion. I wouldn't do the depo shot. I had it before I got the sleeve, its poison. I would do just birth control pills, the implant, or the ring. I gained 60 lbs in 9 months on it, had Migraines everyday, bleed for 9 months straight. Ended up anemic and never felt right after I got off of it until I got the sleeve and lost my weight. Just do your research most everyone I know had a bad experience including myself. But ultimately the choice is yours.

Sent from my EVO using VST

Pre sleeve, depo helped me put on 74 pounds.

I'm birth control free and use condoms now after the sleeve.

Please please please be careful.... I was on the pill after sleeve and got pregnant. The doctors don't have enough studies but the thought is that since there is less stomach there is less stomach lining to absorb the pill. I also got the depo postop and after having my son. I am the one in a million under 35 that have that slight chance of having a stroke.

I was on depo pre-sleeve and I gained 80 pounds within a year. My appetite was triple what it was pre depo shot! I agree that thing is evil!

Why all the depo hate??? I've been on it for years and love it. I gained 10-15 pounds after first starting it. That's it. Lots of women use it without any issues. My gynecologist assured me that my sleeve wouldn't have any effect on it. I haven't had a period in 7 years :) I'm 6 weeks post op and other than some spotting the night of my surgery, I've been fine.

That being said, I have heard it can be difficult to become fertile after stopping it but...since I don't want kids I'm good with that.

Please keep the information coming. I am considering it right now since I can not take the pill or use IUD's.

I've been on the depo for 17 years. I was fat before I started it so can't blame it on

My weight gain.. I just ate too much!! Don't have a period and I don't fancy any children, so for me it's the safest contraception. I'm yet to meet someone who has fallen pregnant on the depo. Don't have mood swings, tender breasts or anything else. I take extra Calcium tablets.

I guess it just depends on the person. I had no high blood pressure. No high cholesterol. No other risks to mention. And I had a stroke related to the depo. There is a risk of taking it that increased after the age of 30. I guess people just need to see what would work for them.

Depo provera does cause an Increase in appetite, so that's why many gain weight. It is progesterone only and does cause Calcium depletion from bones. I don't prescribe it to my patients over 30 for that reason. If you're on it be sure you're taking calcium supplements!

Depo provera does cause an Increase in appetite, so that's why many gain weight. It is progesterone only and does cause Calcium depletion from bones. I don't prescribe it to my patients over 30 for that reason. If you're on it be sure you're taking calcium supplements!

Im 38 and been sleeved for 3 months...I really hate condoms and wan to be spontaneous and not worry about condoms...any advice?

Im 38 and been sleeved for 3 months...I really hate condoms and wan to be spontaneous and not worry about condoms...any advice?

Mirena or implanon

As a person who's had a minor (SVT) blood clot before, I need to be careful with my choice of birth control. Any advice other than the obvious condoms?

All contraception affects people in different ways. The pill is widely know for DVT risk etc which is why most dr's have their patients stop it prior to surgery. I'm 33 and wasn't required to stop my depo shot. I think there are side effects to every form of contraception and obviously people who are on one form will advocate for that. For me personally, I hate the pill, I didn't actually want periods, and I wanted no foreign object implanted in me.. Which left be the option of condoms or the shot. Condoms are just not reliable for me. I have happily been on the shot for 17 years. I have lost 111lbs in 7 months so it has not affected my weightloss, I don't worry about falling pregnant (which I absolutely don't want), I don't have to remember to take it everyday and I don't have anything implanted.. So for me its perfect. I said earlier that I was fat when I started the depo so how can I blame my weight gain on the shot? I just ate too much food. I take Calcium supplements - well it's a small price to pay for my peace of mind! Each and every person will tell you why their contraception is the best choice. I think it's up to the individual to decide what fits well into their lifestyle. Good Luck in finding something that works well for you.