Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever slightly sped up your food stages?

Okay so I am 9 days out from surgery and I've gone from Clear liquids a couple of days ago to full liquids last Tuesday and today I decided to try some fat free cottage cheese. It's delicious and just what I needed mentally and I chewed it up to a very liquid consistancy and it went down just fine and it's hanging out in there just fine.

Should I stop? Do I need to do some pennants to the weight loss surgery Gods? Is 9 days too early for cottage cheese?

I haven't had my surgery yet; but, I would say you need to stop and do your best to follow the diet to avoid any leakage or tears. But, mainly, because you have made the decision to change your life and it appears you are slipping back into old habits of cheating already. STay strong.

I was on soft foods by day 9, so you are not hurting yourself. BUT you really should stick with your doctor's plan. Time will pass quickly and the next stage will be here before you know it. Best of luck!

I haven't had my surgery yet; but, I would say you need to stop and do your best to follow the diet to avoid any leakage or tears. But, mainly, because you have made the decision to change your life and it appears you are slipping back into old habits of cheating already. STay strong.

And you see, that's the weird thing. Every doctors office has their own special "rules" and regulations. I have talked to pleanty of people who started eating cottage cheese on the 7th day. Technically I can eat this in a few days, I'm just speeding it up a little bit. Thank you for your input.

I was on soft foods by day 9 too! Every doc is different, but I doubt you're doing any harm.

I was on soft foods by day 9 too! Every doc is different, but I doubt you're doing any harm.

That's what I thought, I am eating slow and chewing completely through. My stomach doesnt hurt.

I had Surgery on 9.11.13 and my doc started me on blended foods yesterday (1 week out). I bought cottege cheese but haven't eaten it yet. I did have cooked Cauliflower blended in chicken broth tonight and it was HEAVEN!

Okay so I am 9 days out from surgery and I've gone from Clear Liquids a couple of days ago to full liquids last Tuesday and today I decided to try some fat free cottage cheese. It's delicious and just what I needed mentally and I chewed it up to a very liquid consistancy and it went down just fine and it's hanging out in there just fine.

Should I stop? Do I need to do some pennants to the weight loss surgery Gods? Is 9 days too early for cottage cheese?

Keep in mind, your gut has a staple line in it. There is this progressive diet for a reason. Be very careful, besides, from day one, we need to put into affect, lifestyle changes, self control, make wise choices. A couple of months ago we made home made pizza. Several years ago we'd have eaten the entire thing. I ate 1.5 thin pieces, my husband ate three and a half, the other three went into baggies for 'later'. I put them in the frig and then decided that I DID NOT NEED or WANT to eat pizza again that week.

I did the 'recipe' in MFP and realized how much cheese was on there and even though it was 2% mozzarella, it was still HIGH in calories. Sooooo, I did something that I have never done in my life, I got the pizza out of the refrigerator and threw it in the trash.

You may not understand a non-scale victory yet, but you will at some point realize what a big deal this is!!!!! I have never felt so in control. This would not have happened prior to surgery, it makes it easier for me to make wiser choices if I need or want to!!! Even at three years out, I still have new and exciting things happening!

The point is, be careful, leaks are more common the first five or six weeks, hence the different stages. Now the real work begins, the doctor did his job, now it's your turn. There is no end date, this is forever! You have a new normal, and it's great, it's life altering. You will not believe how different your life will be a year from now!!! Good luck!

"You may not understand a non-scale victory yet, but you will at some point realize what a big deal this is!!!!! I have never felt so in control. This would not have happened prior to surgery, it makes it easier for me to make wiser choices if I need or want to!!! Even at three years out, I still have new and exciting things happening!"

That is wonderful and inspiring. I cannot imagine throwing pizza away! thanks for the other words of caution too. I am following what my doctor advised. Being faithful.

There are so many different drs recommendations that its impossible to know just what is right for YOU at any time. I suggest erring on the side of going slow - it's not a race and hopefully you have v little appetite, so this is as easy as it will get to ignore food.

I had a v conservative dr according to what ive read here - didn't even drink Water till day 4, in hospital and on a drip till then, as part of his routine mgt of all his sleeve pts - but from memory even I had tasted a little cottage cheese, yoghurt and custard by day 9.

I had surgery 8/28. I've sped up all my stages. Started pureed on day 6 (instead of day 8). Started mushed about a week early as well.

As of yesterday I was 3 weeks post-op. Had my follow up with my surgeon yesterday and I told him about my "cheating". He said it was fine as long as my stomach was able to tolerate it. He said to take small bites and chew it up well and if it was something that I couldn't handle my stomach would let me know.

He also said the stomach takes between 3-4 weeks to completely heal and to stay away from anything crunchy or with seeds.

Honestly, to each their own. It's not like you're trying to down a burger and fries. It's cottage cheese which probably has less fat, cals, carbs than some of the Protein shakes out there! Have at it as my surgeon says!

Okay so I am 9 days out from surgery and I've gone from Clear liquids a couple of days ago to full liquids last Tuesday and today I decided to try some fat free cottage cheese. It's delicious and just what I needed mentally and I chewed it up to a very liquid consistancy and it went down just fine and it's hanging out in there just fine.

nope, I couldn't bring myself to advance my food progression sooner than I was supposed to because of the thought that 85% of my stomach was removed and there was a cut & staple line several inches long down the side of a major organ. It was never about "cheating" on any old diet like I had done in the past. This was major surgery, my surgeon had set up specific rules, and he's smarter than me. I also figured that even though I might be able to "handle it", my stomach was likely still numb early on and any stress put on it could cause damage without me knowing it.

Keep in mind, your gut has a staple line in it. There is this progressive diet for a reason. Be very careful, besides, from day one, we need to put into affect, lifestyle changes, self control, make wise choices. A couple of months ago we made home made pizza. Several years ago we'd have eaten the entire thing. I ate 1.5 thin pieces, my husband ate three and a half, the other three went into baggies for 'later'. I put them in the frig and then decided that I DID NOT NEED or WANT to eat pizza again that week.

I did the 'recipe' in MFP and realized how much cheese was on there and even though it was 2% mozzarella, it was still HIGH in calories. Sooooo, I did something that I have never done in my life, I got the pizza out of the refrigerator and threw it in the trash.

You may not understand a non-scale victory yet, but you will at some point realize what a big deal this is!!!!! I have never felt so in control. This would not have happened prior to surgery, it makes it easier for me to make wiser choices if I need or want to!!! Even at three years out, I still have new and exciting things happening!

The point is, be careful, leaks are more common the first five or six weeks, hence the different stages. Now the real work begins, the doctor did his job, now it's your turn. There is no end date, this is forever! You have a new normal, and it's great, it's life altering. You will not believe how different your life will be a year from now!!! Good luck!

Wow! Reached your goal in six months! You apparently did something right!!

Wow! Reached your goal in six months! You apparently did something right!!

My nurse said to me, early on: "You're very rigid, and it is working" I know me, and I know that no matter what, I had to make lifestyle changes that I could live with forever. All the things I do are second nature to me now. I don't feel like this is 'work' or a lot of trouble, it is just a new normal where I am in control, food is not!

At my three year check up I asked my doctor if I was crazy, I asked him if I would I ever put the fear of re-gaining out of my mind and he said, "A little paranoia is not a bad thing, the best patients, long term, are a little anal retentive" I hate that term, but I am holding on to his words.

...I had to make lifestyle changes that I could live with forever. All the things I do are second nature to me now. I don't feel like this is 'work' or a lot of trouble, it is just a new normal where I am in control, food is not!

Just took a look at your profile and although my starting size is WAY bigger than yours, seeing your progress gives me hope. At 7 weeks out I've lost weight, no doubt, but still have unusually large hips, thighs, calves, etc. and often wonder if I waited too late to remedy those things; perhaps they'll never go away. Seeing your photos, and reading your story, however, lets me know that I need to be both patient and faithful to the plan. I don't expect this surgery to make me young, beautiful, or to give me a model's body. Still, I wouldn't mind being the one posting my story here in 2016 and encouraging other newbies with my accomplishments. Thanks so much for posting!