Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

:sick Hi all. i joined theland of the banded on Wednesday...banded by Dr. LaFullarde in Geel, Blegium. I had never met him prior to surgery, but was hoping he was as good of a surgeon as he was good looking!! lol Then I remembered he would see me mostly naked! haha. Anyway, he sits on a medical ethics board with dr. Dillemans, for the Royal Society of Belgian Surgeons or something like that.

I went in Thursday morning, was supposed to be in a room with 4 bes, but they had no free beds..So I was put in a room with two beds...and nobody to share it with!! YAY! I had my blood tests done and an EKG. After that, I took a valium to help calm me down. I was then wheeled into surgery and remember NOTHING past the initial burning pain of the IV. i woke up in recovery and remember asking for pain meds, but dont remember the pain. I spent the entire rest of the day and night sleeping. This morning, I got out of bed to pee twice and finally to get a sponge bat (I knew I was feeling rough when I stood naked in front of a stranger!!)

my hubby drove me home the 2 hour drive, and I have been trying to find a comfortable position ever since. I am not so much experiencing pain, as it is severe discomfort and ithing on my belly. Getting up off a chair, couch or bed is ROUGH!!! I am drinking loads of Water and cannot have anything else until tomorrow...followed by 3 days of specific liquids. I dont care.. I am not hungry.

No gas pains in my shoulders yet....

So, welcome fellow newbies adn good luck to the rest being banded this week. I am signing out. I have reached the limits of my energy...

Charlotte

Hi everyone, good luck to the March 15th bandsters! I was banded yesturday at 7:30 a.m., I was released around 1:00 p.m. everything was fine until I got to the hotel, I opened the car door and the heat hit me and made me exstremely nautious. I started vommiting, and the pain was horrible, I only heard of this from a couple of people. Later that afternoon after I took the liquid pain medicine I vommitted again. My husband is sooo worried. He thinks my band will slip, I called the doctor and they told me that it would be o.k. to switch to the chewable tylenol that I had brought with me and that has seem to help, I did have a fever all night too, but did not bring a thermometer, My husband picked one up today. and my temperature is now normal. Hope everyone is doing well Gretchen- p.s. I miss my 3 other boys, we brought our youngest son with us.

Today is my first day post op I guess since yesterday was my operation. That means Clear Liquids again today, and I can start on full liquids tomorrow and that goes for another two weeks and then the mushie stage for me.

Right now I am doing a lot better than I was yesterday just from a pain perspective if nothing else. I'm thinking it will keep on getting better. I'm sleepy :notagree but then as the resident narcoleptic here I'm always sleeping. I'm not taking my wakefullness meds since there isn't any reason to and its good to have a break from them sometimes. So I'll just sleep and heal and all that jazz.

I walked around the house for a while today to get the walking and movement in. Might do that again later. Did it a bit yesterday but not so much or for so long as I did today. I'm still on the liquid vicoden. I have some darvocet but even chopped into smaller bits I had a hard time with the pills (they are big) and the vicoden is working well enough It seems like. Normally I don't find it to be that effective like for my nerve pain and the darvocet is stronger at least for me, and then if the darvocet doesn't work for some reason (tolerance, not strong enough, etc) then I have to go up to percacet. Luckily I haven't had to take much opoids at all in a long time due to my lidoderm patch so maybe thats why I am now finding them more effective... I dunno. So yes it hurts. Getting up and down is the worst. Had DH stay at home today in case I needed him. The bum is sleeping :success1: I'll wake him up before too long to make me some broth.

Everything I want is within reachfor the most part-- the laptop computer, book, remotes, etc. Last night or today or whenever it actully was that I was sleeping the dog left me her favorite toy on my lap so I also woke up with a little tire within reach. So if I need a chew toy I am all set for that as well. I think i'll watch a bit of telly and then maybe nap time after my next dose of vicoden...

Now before I started my hideous pre op diet I gained a few pounds because I had to tons to ice cream and junk food. Mostly ice cream because I adore it like nothing else-- it is my favorite and I know that now I am banded I will only be able to have it a lot less and in smaller quantities because its one of those foods that can slip through easily. Though we do have half an ice cream cake in the freezer currently and one pint of ben and jerrys I didn't get to before it was time for my pre op. But they will last... Normal food I wasn't as bad with as I was with junk food. Because I know I can eat normal food after the band. Well once I get back on solids anyway. Pulled pork? Ribs? Bring em on! Just bring a doggie bag with em I figure. Lasanga sounds good too. I like nice hearty sub sandwhiches. Etc. I don't know if bread will like me, but if it does I can have sandwhiches. Steak- sure. salad, etc. I knew I would be able to eat that stuff. It was stuff that was sweets that I really wanted to get in the most so to speak. But of course I had to eat pizza and burgers and fries too...

Now finally I am not hungry! So far the band is working... It will be interesting to see how it feels as it heals.

I'm on for Tuesday also. I will say a prayer for you also when I go in. I found someone from my support group who will also be banded on Tuesday. I hope we can walk the halls together after surgery.

Hi Sherry, my date is Tuesday and if something doesn't calm my nerves, I'm wondering if I can make it until then? Ack! I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.

I want to hear from everyone also.

AMRDMR

OK, time to fess up (again): I've eaten Peanut Butter. I get like a teeny tiny little bite and turn it into a near liquid in my mouth before swallowing it. It's just so darned good :success1:

Congrats to all the new bandsters!

I'll join you all in just 6 more days. Each day that passes I get a little more nervous :success1: and excited :clap2:

I can't wait!

Good luck Tammy! Allllll that waiting and now it is probably over!!!!!!!!! Let us know how you are as soon as possible. Remember WALK, WALK, WALK... It will help dissapate the air.

had surgery on Monday the 12th..feeling a bit better every day..right now i feel like i could eat or drink anything..but of course I have stuck to the liquids. just having 3 Protein Shakes and a little chicken broth and one sugar free popsicle plus water...does that sound right? I cannot wait for mushies..mashed potatoes and ground beef sound great.

Mags

When I eat, I get this feeling, kind of like a pressure in my chest - almost like the start of heartburn (I assume a signal that I'm done). I ate a full cup and a half of Tomato Soup the other day (way too much) and I regretted it. I didn't get sick or anything, just felt bloated (funny that a bit of Soup can make me feel the way a gigantic McDonald's meal used to). Today I was eating cottage cheese and I didn't want to stop eating it because it tasted good, but I got the feeling again and remembered the lesson I'd learned. I had eaten almost 1 cup (and, bad me, it was the only thing I ate all day today). I have a hard time balancing work and eating. It's amazing and fabulous and an all-out miracle that I can feel full and satisified with less than a cup of cottage cheese.< /div>

Yesterday was my first day of pureed, and I felt that pressure in my chest last night after I had some pureed chili (about 1 cup). Cottage cheese is my favorite food (has been since I was a kid), and I had my first pureed cottage cheese yesterday and it was so yummy - 1/2 cup was my after work snack, and the 1 cup chili was my supper and I was satisfied! I love this!!

When I'm at work all day, I try to sip on some form of liquid protien as much as possible. I started doing that with Water a long time ago, so it hasn't been too difficult of a change. Good luck!

OK, time to fess up (again): I've eaten Peanut Butter. I get like a teeny tiny little bite and turn it into a near liquid in my mouth before swallowing it. It's just so darned good :success1:

I had a craving for peanut butter yesterday. I mixed it with honey and warmed it so it was thinner and had a spoonful. It hit the spot. We must be craving it for some reason...

I am day 3 post op.feeling terrific/ still no pain and no gas pains either... I am still bloated some, but have lost 3.4 pounds since Monday. I have so much energy now, not sure why... Just better spirits, I presume. So much energy at work, I about drove myself crazy today, could not sit still for nothing!!!

To all those out there still waiting, in my opinion, so far this was the Best decision to make!!

Hi All, DH had his band today and is doing well. I brought him home a couple of hours ago. He has some soreness and a bit of gas pains that come and go but for the most part is feeling okay.

He told me that it was not as bad as he had prepared himself for it to be.

We hope that everyone else is doing well also.

Hi ! New here and just got banded today:clap2: March 14, 2007. I am really surprised as to how little pain I am in. Most of it is just gas. The walking around really helps. I look forward to meeting you all. I was banded by

Dr. Woodman in Memphis, Tn. I live in Collierville, Tn.

Congrats on your entrance to bandland, Sharirism! I'm being banded Monday but have been on this site almost continuously for a month or more. I hear that a heating pad really helps with the gas pains--good luck to you!