Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi Everyone! I got banded yesterday and am doing great. I did some burping/puking at the hospital when I got up, so I think that helped tremendously with the gas pains. They didn't want me to go home yesterday, but I talked them into it anyways. I've not had trouble swallowing pills, took Ibuprofen last night and today, don't like pain meds, and haven't had a problem getting them down. I'm also not having trouble if I forget and drink regular instead of sipping. I went onto the www.lapbandlifestyle.com website and they recommended a cookbook titled "Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Patt Levine. It is a paperback book and has recipes based on what stage you are pre/post op and supposedly these are recipes that the whole family can enjoy. You can get it from any bookstore apparently. Just thought I'd share. Good luck to everyone that has been or is going to be banded. It's not as bad as you might think, hopefully!

Hi, I just saw in your post that you took Ibuprofen, I'm pretty sure that can cause troubles with your stomach once you are banded:confused: they recommend Tylenol, no asprin products. Maybe someone else knows for sure???? Sunnysea

So you did not hear this from me.....

Take an egg and softly softly softly softly scramble it and keep it "wet".

Take the smallest bites in the whole world and chew like forever until it turns into the size of a piece of sand. The bite sizes should be no more than 1/4 tsp at a time. Shhhhhh our secret! But you did not hear it from me.

I am laughing here because that is what I did!! I went for my 2 week follow up and the nutrionist was surprised at how good I was doing. I am eating a lot more along then their chart. I told her I hated Protein Drinks they made me puke so I had to experiment to keep my strength up. I told her I am not stupid and would not do anything to hurt my band but Protein food comes first in my book. Anyway she moved my fill up 2 weeks...yippy skippy...it is April 18th. I had lost 10 pounds since surgery day,actually it is 11 neeked, lol. Not bad in my book.

Is anyone swallowing pills whole or are you crushing and dissolving in Water? I am also on Topamax for Migraines. It is a very small pill but I crush it in fear it will get stuck. It's nasty tasting, I just want to down the pill.

I was told to crush pills for 3 months. Since my surgery, I'm down to only 1 BP pill now! My BP has already lowered enough to get off one of my meds. I also don't need my Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression anymore. Life is good!

Hi, I just saw in your post that you took Ibuprofen, I'm pretty sure that can cause troubles with your stomach once you are banded:confused: they recommend Tylenol, no asprin products. Maybe someone else knows for sure???? Sunnysea

I've heard that also. Recommendations are to avoid any NSAID's (including Ibuprophen) as they are stomach irritants and can cause ulcers and possibly erosion. liquid Tylenol or Vicoden was all that I was told to take for pain.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group. I have been meaning to post something and it seems like everytime I start one of my kids needs me. So here I go...

I am getting my surgery tomorrow. I think it is finally hitting home. Today is the last day of drinking diet coke...possibly eating white bread, sticky rice, some Pasta etc...

I am not looking foward to the liquid stage. I have stocked up on everything recommended, hopefully I can keep myself satisfied. It is really hard to try to lose weight right before this. Thankfully my doctor only recommended I lose five pounds. I compare this part of it to asking an alcoholic to quit drinking for a few weeks before going to rehab! :heh:

I am very excited that I am doing this for myself and my family. I am looking forward to being an active mom who is a good example for her kids!!!

Kristen

Kristen, I have been singing your quote to myself since the day I was scheduled for surgery (which has been moved to April 11, but was originally set for tomorrow also).! I really think this quote is so very appropriate! Good luck tomorrow, you'll do great!

:clap2:

I take a ton of pills (and right now I miss my NSAID that I am going to need if I ever go to the gym). At first I broke the smaller ones in half, even topamax. Now I swallow those. Then I just took one a time. Waiting a while between each pill and each sip. It took a while. Now I can drink a bit more so I take a couple of pills at a time and the wait is a little less. I have one really big pill I haven't tried yet so I am still substituting it with other things. But I can now swallow my cymbalta capsules without breaking them open so that is good, because I had forgotten to take them for a few days and got really depressed. I meant to take them but because I had to break them open and take them special I would save it for last and forget. I should be able to lower my dose of my BP pill :) And I might be starting on a new med next month but it only comes in liquid form so thats not a problem.

Hi Everyone! I got banded yesterday and am doing great. I did some burping/puking at the hospital when I got up, so I think that helped tremendously with the gas pains. They didn't want me to go home yesterday, but I talked them into it anyways. I've not had trouble swallowing pills, took Ibuprofen last night and today, don't like pain meds, and haven't had a problem getting them down. I'm also not having trouble if I forget and drink regular instead of sipping. I went onto the www.lapbandlifestyle.com website and they recommended a cookbook titled "Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Patt Levine. It is a paperback book and has recipes based on what stage you are pre/post op and supposedly these are recipes that the whole family can enjoy. You can get it from any bookstore apparently. Just thought I'd share. Good luck to everyone that has been or is going to be banded. It's not as bad as you might think, hopefully!

IF you take ibuprofen without food in your stomach your stomach can bleed.

NSAIDS: Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (painkillers which includes ibuprofen. Banded people should try to avoid because they can add to ulcer risk).

DRUGS THAT CLAIM / CAN DAMAGE THE POUCH:

Advil

Aleve

Amigesic

Anacin

Anaprox

Ansald

Anthra-G

Arthropan

Ascriptin

Aspirin

Asproject

Azolid

Bextra

Bufferin

Butazolidin

Celebrex

Clinorial

Darvon compounds

Disalcid

Dolobid

Erythromycin

Equagesic

Feldene

Fiorinal

Ibuprofen

Indocin

Ketoprofen

Lodine

Meclomen

Midol

Motrin

Nalfon

Naprosyn

Nayer

Orudis

Oruval

Pamprin-IB

Percodan

Ponstel

Rexolate

Tandearil

Tetracycline

Tolecin

Uracel

Vioxx

Voltaren

DRUGS THAT ARE CONSIDERED SAFER FOR THE BAND:

Benadryl

Tylenol

Dimetapp

Robitussin

Safetussin

Sudafed

Triaminics (All)

Tylenol (cold products)

Tylenol Ex Strength

Gas-X

Phazyme

Imodium Ad

Colace

Dulcolax-Suppositories

Fleet Enema

Glycerin-Suppositories

Milk of Magnesia

Peri-Colace

Hi bubbles,

I have had that song in my head for weeks! Quite fitting I thought.

For those of you who didn't see it as the title

"It's the end of the world as I know it, and I feel fine" by REM

Sorry to hear your surgery got delayed. Nothing like having to postpone the rest of your life huh?

NSAIDS: Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (painkillers which includes ibuprofen. Banded people should try to avoid because they can add to ulcer risk).

Thanks for the list! I'm printing it to use for a reference.

Ok ladies, I want alittle sympathy...my surgeon makes you wait 8 weeks, not a typo there, 8888888888888888888888888888888 weeks. OMG that seems so long for me?? I had a couple chips yesterday and really beat myself up. This is going to be a real learning curve. Plus, I lost some hair and that made me freak!! Anyone else??

Sue in Russia (Suzie baby!)

cus cus cus that darn Dr.

So what is your plan? Gotta have a plan or you will find it more difficult to succeed, because you WILL get through this.

South Beach Diet is incredible, so is lots and lots of Water.< /p>

Chips are good too in moderation....

I feel bad for you, I finally convinced my Dr. to give me a fill at 6 weeks and I can't wait, and subsequently I have gained some weight. :)

Good luck and hang in there.

I asked my doc about swallowing pills. He said no problem. My primary put me on more B-12 and magneseum to avoid Migraines, I've also given up coffee and aspertame, MY GOD I MISS MY COFFEE!!!!! But I did not get a Migraine this month! (I always het one when I menstruate)

So daily I take 6 differnt Vitamin pills and I take tylenol for pain. I also have prescrptions for migraine med (just in case) and anti neasea meds ( just in case I get the migraine).

I was very worried about all these pills but my doc says it's ok, I haven't had any issues?

Pam and Sugarbear-I have to wait for 8 weeks May 8th I believe for the fill. I will write today and ask about earlier. Now, it's really going to work out fine schedule wise because I have my parents visiting until the 7th and remember I have to fly to France.I have a question for you guys though, my dr. here, primary, says he is very familiar with ports and would be happy to do any fill/unfills. What do you all think about that? Too risky? Too technical? Too much of a speciality? Just would save me an enormous amount of time and money. For the first 2 I would prefer to go back to the lovely Dr. Frering.

I don't have a big plan pam. i like lo carb lots. I am planning just to limit, limit and get going on the exercise. i am walking and using the bike. I do the bike throughout the day 10 minutes at a time.I am finding out that it is much easier for me to eat at dinner than the day..anybody else?

pills, the only one i take is a Vitamin and I split it. Any hair losers? Should i freak? Mom is bringing Nioxen and bioten. Can you reccomend anything else?

Pam you are so funny with the eggs LOL I love eggs. I found out recently that i am highly reactive to them, I miss them though. Last nite I made Thai meatballs with ground pork..YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Pasta with peanut sauce. Do you guys eat salads? Is there anything to avoid? Man, I bet that takes a while to eat ugh?

Special hi to Karen- how's dad holding up sweetie?Are you taking care of yourself?

Ok- off to start the day.BBl

Special hi to Karen- how's dad holding up sweetie?Are you taking care of yourself?

Thanks, Sue. He's doing really well. We went to the dr. as a family yesterday to be sure he understood what was happening and that we all understood his desires as far as his care. He was adorable. He said, "I have just one thing to say....Goodbye!" Everytime we asked about something specific like surgery, blood transfusion (which he needs again), IV, etc. he would answer with a wave of his hand and "Goodbye." He was very consistent and very sure of his decision. My wonderful DH is spending the day with him today so that I can finish my grandson's Easter outfits that I smocked--it's my only day off until Easter and I haven't had time to do the sewing. So sweet of him to fill in for me this way. I'm looking forward to this day alone in my quiet house doing a few of the things I love to do. So, taking care of myself? Definitely today I am!

Well, today has been exactly one week since I had my lap band surgery, and with walking and everything else being done to the letter since then, today was the first official weigh in.

I still feel great with absolutely no pain at all, and not even hungry that much, though I am craving a grilled chicken salad like no tomorrow. LOL.

Anyway....this week's official total is *drum roll*.....

goodscales.gif23 pounds gone!

Of course, things will slow down once I begin the soft diet stage; I have my first post-op doctor's appointment next Thursday. But what a running start and great motivation!

On the subject of Migraines, Topamax is an excellent drug used in the prevention of the onset of them and the pill is very tiny--no crushing required! Its primary purpose is the treatment of partial seizures, but it was also found to prevent Migraine onset as well. I would recommend looking into that option.