Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hello, I had my surgery on March 5th. I am doing well and feel great. I am new here so not don't have the weight tracker as of yet. Good luck everyone on your journey

:welcomeB: emilymor and Congratulations!!!

BTW does anyone know when we can have alchohol again? I have this sugar free margarita mix so its not like I'm going to have a billion calories with just one drink. But I know my tummy must still be swollen, and alchohol on a swollen tummy would be a bad idea.

I was wondering the same thing. I went to a fashion show on Saturday and they were serving wine and I really wanted some, but I passed. I am going to ask the nutritionist tonight at our group meeting if it's okay to have a glass or two.

Question for bandsters done on the 15th...

Is anyone hungry yet? Yikes I am so hungry all of the time! I guess this means my swelling is just about gone. I was liking the tightness it held me in check. I can swallow just about normal but I am still watching what I eat and going by my doctors list which seems a little easy compared to some of your lists. Thank goodness...I would be dead by now if I had to still be on liquids. Forget to tell anyone who is interested...I never filled my pain meds from the hospital. Just used liquid tylenol. I do not like the way drugs make me feel.

Scarlett, I was banded on the 15th as well, but I'm really not hungry. I never felt the tightness that some of you experienced. I was able to easily down liquids the day after surgery and now I can chug a bottle of Water within a couple minutes if I wanted, but I choose to sip and drink slowly just for practice. I had my post-op visit yesterday and was told I could start soft foods. I had 1/4 cup of chicken salad and 1/4 cup of soft cabbage for dinner. I definitely felt like I could eat more, but it wasn't because I was still hungry. Everyone's experiences are soooo different and it's interesting to read how everyone else is handling things. Have you been scheduled for your first fill yet? My first fill is scheduled for April 9th. Hang in there...we are in what some call Bandster Hell!!! :flame:

I just feel weird not having a bm everyday. But I wonder, am I constipated or just empty?

I was very constipated during my first week. Magnolia suggested Colace stool softener and it worked really well.

I am sooo hungry all the time! I need more ideas of low carb and sugar free Snacks to eat frequently I am getting tired of pudding, popsickles, low fat yogurt, Jello and Mott's fruit cups. I am dying for a damn cheeseburger!!! LOL I am having a terrible time with my cravings, the emotional eating thing is totally haunting me! Does the craving thing ever subside so dealing with the emotional eating can be managed better? I know my doc specified that the band will be a "tool" to help me to loose this weight but I was so hoping that the cravings and constant desire to emotionally eat would subside if I were feeling full. Man, do I need a fill! LOL

Thanks everyone!

I am sooo hungry all the time! I need more ideas of low carb and sugar free Snacks to eat frequently I am getting tired of pudding, popsickles, low fat yogurt, Jello and Mott's fruit cups. I am dying for a damn cheeseburger!!! LOL I am having a terrible time with my cravings, the emotional eating thing is totally haunting me! Does the craving thing ever subside so dealing with the emotional eating can be managed better? I know my doc specified that the band will be a "tool" to help me to loose this weight but I was so hoping that the cravings and constant desire to emotionally eat would subside if I were feeling full. Man, do I need a fill! LOL

Thanks everyone!

First I just want to give you a great big hug!!! :hug: It sounds like you are having a hard time right now. To be honest, emotional eating is probably one of the hardest things to overcome. You have to find other outlets besides food during these times. I have heard others suggest, taking up a hobby, go shopping, have a massage, a manicure, or a pedicure. I think my outlet is this message board. You will always have cravings (our eyes are bigger than our stomachs...literally), but the choices that you make is what matters. Hang in there!!! :bolt:

Thanks everyone!

Another thing, how are you getting your Protein? Protein keeps you fuller longer and it really helps get rid of that hungry feeling. At least for me it does.

Mrs. Husker, my doc recomends adding Fiber (Benefiber) to your Water, Soup, juice or whatever. It is tasteless. I am finally getting hot Cereal and put it in my oatmeal every morning, and whatever I drink durring the day. For example Tomato juice/V-8 ect. It also comes in chewables, ect. Early on we aren't getting emough fiber. To be honest I don't know if we ever will. I have read some posts that do the fiber several times a day. My instructions were to not take regular laxatives. Stool softeners help too.

AprilMarie,

Cravings are one of my biggests issues too. I can think about a Meximelt from TacoBell and then suddenly I'm obsessing over getting one and can't think about anything else until I get it. When my life got taken over by my cravings, I talked with my doctor and she put me on an anti-depressant. I never considered myself depressed and I was surprised by her actions and a little offended but I went with it. It was amazing what a difference it made. I still have cravings at times, but I'm able to "talk myself down" from the ledge as I call it. I'm not sure I would be able to do that without the Welbutrin. Welbutrin is also given to smokers who are trying to quit. As a food addict, I think it is extremely helpful in controlling my addiction. I'm not under perfect control, but I'm not out of control either.

Hey Tammyj. How are you doing? I will be three weeks post-op tomorrow. I am HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure when I get a fill. Most from where I got banded say 6 weeks. Whew! I hope I can get one at 4 weeks. That is when i go back. It is very hard not to over eat. I don'y seem to have any problems with eating so far. I get to start soft veggies wed. and tuna or chick, salad, ect. Maybe that will help.

Call your physician assistant for your surgeon and ask if you can have some thinned out cream of wheat or some yogurt. You are 5 days out and I am betting they may say yes, it is worth a try, tell them how you are feeling and the mental crisis you are in. Seriously call them, all they can say is NO, but they will probably say yes.

I called and left a message yesterday - nobody has called me back yet :bolt:

Thanks for the support ladies! No one here really understands what I am going through and my mom is the worst! When she is around she watches me like a hawk and asks a thousand questions about my diet. She calls me several times a day with an inquisition. Are you getting all the protien you need, are you pureeing everything arent' you, no more than a cup of food at a time April....UGGG! I know she means well but you would think she paid for this surgery! I am almost sorry that I let her in on this whole life changing experience but she has been so unhappy with my weight for so long and wanted me to get this surgery so bad I couldn't exclude her in my journey. She is all of 110 lbs., she simply never has and never will understand what it is like to be a food addict.

Also, I don't particularly "mesh" with many of my co-workers, I have just never been one to be "clicky" and unfortunatly to be accepted here you need to be that way. I work with all women, the thin ones don't show very little interest in what I am doing and the chubby ones are very critical of what I am doing. I just don't discuss much about my choice to do the lap band with them. Our RN is very supportive and a good person to talk to so I at least have that outlet if I need one.

I am a single mom of an outstanding 18 year old son who is very supportive but I don't want to really "vent" to him too much. He is a Senior this year and really busy also he has his own weight issues he struggles through. We try to do healthy activities together to support each other but I am just not comfortable talking or crying about what I am going through with him. I don't want him to think that I am loosing it. I am glad I have found this site, just this little bit of venting seems to have helped me out a some...Thanks!

As for protien I am drinking HMR protien shakes but they are not as easy to put together while I am at work when I am hungry. Besides I am sick of them, I was on a diet using them for several months prior to deciding to do the band. They are a great source of protien so I have been forceing them down. Any other protien ideas? Something quick and easy?

As for the eating addiction, it is a life long problem of mine. I am already on an antidepressent and have been for several years. With out it I would be a real mess. It has really helped with my emotional eating. I don't know maybe I need something more to help me through all of this.

Thanks again for all the support...you are all so appreciated!

The worst is making dinner for my family.

The other night I made taco salad, and without thinking I licked the spatula I was mixing it with b4 I put it in the dishwasher. It was only catalina dressing and I'm on full liquids, but still I cannot believe how often I used to taste and snack while cooking, can't do that anymore!

I am so tired and lathargic, one flight of stairs and my legs throb with weakness and went shopping last Sat and kept getting dizzy to the point I had to sit down every few minutes. I've got to try and get more Water in. I'll ask Dr. today Two week post-op appt this afternoon.

I hear you about making dinner.

I cook for 6 here at my house.

I was making Pasta and needed to check if it was done, I instictivly put it in my mouth.

Oh My Gosh, I realized I was on full liquids and spit it in the sink.

It was a close one!

I went to McDonald's this morning and bought a sausage patty, I put it in the magic bullet. It was pretty darn good.

April, I hear you loud and clear about the thin people not understanding and the chubbier people treating you like some kind of trader.,

Hehe, your comment about the sausage patty in the magic bullet made me giggle. I'm sure I'll be one of those people too...magic bullet anything and everything. I wonder how pizza will be? :-P I'll let you guys know in a few weeks.

I'm bouncing off the walls here waiting for Friday...eeks. Dr. office gave me a heart attack yesterday when they AGAIN called and left a message at my house so I didn't get it till after 5:00 and they were closed. So I was worried all night something had messed up or they were rescheduling but no, when I called this morning they just wanted to let me know my chest xray was just fine....geez....they're going to give me an ulcer. ;)

So close...it's like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid.