Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

You know I don't even think having a fatty liver is linked to what you weigh either... as I said in my previous post. I also think that it's hard to know who's liver is fatty and who's isn't without opening you up an having a look! So I guess some play is safe by giving everyone the pre op diet....

I'm not sure that it gets rid of the fat in the liver but, as glycogen is stored in the liver that will definitely be depleted and so shrink it a little bit as it's the thing you lose first on any diet... and the Water that accompanies it! So although the liver may remain fatty it will be smaller because the glycogen is depleted!

My doc said he didnt put me on a pre-op diet, because I have a lower bmi. He said it was for higher bmi's

Anon, I know your right, I'm just getting a bit uptight at the moment, the nearer the date comes the more Im getting irritable, my poor DH gets the brunt of it too...poor soul...

Sophie, I need to order those books, you know, even though Im morbidly obese, the weird thing is I ignore it, like I know I am, but I dont feel it inside, and I need to work out and understand why I turn to food, it must have come from my teenager years, I left home at 16, as I had to go to colleage and my parents lived abroad....then my nan died, and I had no one in the country where I was living in, well I think a culmination of things actually.....

Sorry for the ramble, but trying to understand why I am where I am now is deep I guess

Welcome to all the new March bandsters!!!!!!!!!!

As far as who knows about my surgery - EVERYONE knows. And for the MOST part they are all really supportive. I have gotten a few "but you are doing so well, why do you NEED surgery?" I just repeat that the band is a tool and I need the tool, and that shuts them up :girl_hug:

Hello everyone

I just talked to Meli and went to see her when she was in the hospital. She is doing great! She was in the hospital for 2 nights - they would not let her leave until she drank 1ltr of Water and kept it down but she was glad so she could relax. She has a pain at the incisions but other than that she is doing great!

She wanted me to let everyone know how she was doing.

I can't wait for my turn. I have been reading post here to get some ideas. You are all doing so well!:clap2:

Sophie, I need to order those books, you know, even though Im morbidly obese, the weird thing is I ignore it, like I know I am, but I dont feel it inside, and I need to work out and understand why I turn to food, it must have come from my teenager years, I left home at 16, as I had to go to colleage and my parents lived abroad....then my nan died, and I had no one in the country where I was living in, well I think a culmination of things actually.....

Sorry for the ramble, but trying to understand why I am where I am now is deep I guess

The books will be really helpful. I also maintained a level of denial about my weight ~ it helps us cope. We have to look in the mirror and see the real picture when we start this journey. Remember to be patient and forgiving toward yourself. Someone posted this on another thread, and I printed it to use as my bookmark:

Originally Posted by anng viewpost.gif

Try looking at it this way......You have just thrown away your very favorite and most comfortable defense mechanism that just plain wore out. It has probably been with you forever and you have no idea where you even got it. Now you get to go shopping and pick out a new one that is up to date and will bring out the very best in you. What you pick out is completely up to you and you and nobody else and it will be all yours. At least this time you get to choose willingly!

Ann :clap2:

What about hourglass shapes verus apples versus pears? I'm an hourglass, or at least I used to be. I was once a perfect hourglass, but it sure ain't perfect anymore. However, my hips and my bust still have the same measurement and my waist is less than those...

I am a high bmi patient (bmi over 50) and my liver was perfect - according to my surgeon it was the perfect size and color. And I had no pre-op diet. I think it just depends on the person.

As far as pre-op diet or no pre-op diet - I chose my surgeon because I trusted and if he had wanted me to do liquids for two weeks prior I would have - because he is the doctor. But I am sure glad he didn't.

Hmmmm lollipop and apple I think would be the same....

Thanx Pam I know I'm dorkie lol. My sugery is Friday AHHHHHHHH :faint:

Thanx Pam I know I'm dorkie lol. My sugery is Friday AHHHHHHHH :faint:

I know what you mean, mine is Wednesday!!!! :faint::faint:

I was super irritable before my banding too. DH wasn't allowed to eat if I was in the same room and he wasn't allowed to leave any evidence of fast food behind at all either or else I would get really upset and then obcess over that food.

Now I just look at the food appreciatively if it looks good and think about when I'll be able to eat solids again and how it will be interesting to see what my band tolerates and dosen't. And I also think now that as far as fast food goes I don't think I could eat a whole meal at once! Especially a Hardee's one (I really like the thickburgers and curly fries) and that if I really wanted that stuff I'd probably have to have about half of a small fries and maybe half of hamburger and even then it might be more than one meal's worth of food...

Or I think that if we went out to eat I certainly couldn't eat a salad before the meal! And a whole meal! Well doggy bags for me!

I think our food bill is going to go down. At least I think it will once I start making dinner again. Right now DH gets every meal either through the drive through or by heating up something frozen. Now I might make him something simple like Pasta if he asked nicely. But he hasn't asked at all. When I start on mushies I'll like cook a few things and maybe he will have a real meal cooked at home then.

I'm very glad that with the band I can still experience hunger and satiation. And I enjoy food-- hell I love it. But it really is just food. And it is so important to be in control of the food and not have the food controlling me. I also didn't want to be hungry all the time. I knew that I needed weightloss surgery in order to lose weight and not be hungry. I didn't think I could get used to being hungry all the time (like my mom is) nor did I want to. But I also didn't want eating to be a chore-- it is an enjoyable experience. So I think I can have the best of both worlds with the band as long as I am careful. Careful not to cheat it. Careful to count calories. Careful to follow the rules. Careful to exercise and so forth. Careful to make good choices and follow my pyriamid... I can live with careful.

Now that I'm in less pain and feeling better and have lost 20 pounds I'm in a better mood and I'm nicer to my DH. So I think it pays off long term if I keep being nice.

I had my surgery 4 days ago and am feeling pretty good - everything went well in the hospital - for about 2 days I had alot of gas pains in my chest and each day it is getting better - I think by Monday it should all be gone. I don't know why I thought the pouch held 4oz of food, boy was I surprised when they told me it was only 1oz. So my diet for this week consisted of 4oz Jello for Breakfast, 4oz crystallite for lunch, 4oz broth for dinner and a sugar free popsicle for snack and Water in between. I am doing well except for the crystallite - it's giving me diarrhea so I have to figure out what I can take instead of it. Other than that I feel great. Infact I went to the boardwalk with my son today, and shopping as well. So anyone who has the jitters, there's nothing to worry about...everything is going to be okay and we're all on our way to being transformed!!!

Reesh:clap2:

March Bandster Babes!

TammyJ has taken over the thread since I have been scheduled in April

CarolynB - 03/01

Sophie248 - 3/05

GloGirl - 03/05 @ 9:00 a.m.

HeatherPA - 3/07 or 3/09 (no jinx here)

Mom202 - 03/12 in spirit:girl_hug:

Hotpink Bubbles 03/13

Kyethra - 03/14

TammyJ - 03/15

Machele - 03/16

WendyJ - 03/19

CrazyCran - 03/21

Eclipse - 03/21

ClickerSister - pending

Reesh - pending for early March

Sara Mos - pending

ginabobeana - Pending

mdicurn - Pending

Laurend - Pending

SusaninKC - Pending

TracyinKS - Bumped to April 26, 2007 (insurance approved 1/30!)

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I had my surgery March 20th...yippee it's behind me now and now I can get rid of this weight forever!!!!!

I know what you mean, mine is Wednesday!!!! :faint::faint:

Good luck on wednesday neveragain. Your name will say it all.