Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

tammyj,

Please add me to the list, I am scheduled to be banded 3/21 at 1 pm in

Atlantic City, New Jersey. Good luck to the six who will be banded on

Monday 3/5. Sharon I feel for ya, I am certainly not looking forward

starting mine.:Banane32: I read on another thread to put up post it notes and

tear one down, rip it up, stomp on it whatever it takes just to help you get thru the pre-op diet days.:myscared:

:welcome2: Famos!!!! I will add you to our list. Good Luck!!!

Hey TracyinKS--I wanna play! Put me down for March 29 ath 7:30 am. I love reading your posts and look forward to getting to know you as we do this together. :clap2:

I will add you to our list! Good Luck and Welcome!!!!!!!

I am glad to hear that those newly banded are doing well. It really does help to put our mind at ease. Keep posting!!!

To those in the pre-op diet phase. Hang in there!!! We don't have much longer! :clap2:

Good Luck to everyone being banded tomorrow. I'll be thinking about ya!!! :myscared:

FYI, I was told no straws or sippy cups because they help you swallow air. I was also told to put liquids in a cup, try not to drink from a bottle, same reason.

I am looking at the calendar right now, March 20 seems so far way and at the same time, it's comming up fast. Its like when I look at my husband and realize that we have been married for almost 13 years and it seems like we just met and at other times like we have been married for 50 years. Can anyone relate, or am I just nuts?

I really want to thank everyone who has posted after surgery. That has really helped keep me calm. The only thing I am worried about for the most part is the gas pain. Been there, done that type of thing.

For those being banded next, all my best and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hi All..

First thanks tammyj for the welcome... I am not quite sure how you keep everyone straight.

Second.... I AM SO GLAD THAT I AM NOT ALONE. I go for my pre-op apt .. on Mar. 7th and my surgery is scheduled for the 14th.

I feel like I have a few things that I need to eat now...before my surgery. I am not trying to go over board but I had hubby make grilled ribs yesterday... I am determined to make this work I just don't want to gain 10 lbs in the process. I am trying to remember that at some point I may be able to eat some of these foods again but just LESS of them. Weird how the mind thinks when we think we may not be able to have something for awhile..

Also thanks for the Preoperative list.... it takes away a lot of stress about being prepared.

I am curious... is this mainly an outpatient surgery or do you normally have to stay overnight?

Thanks,

Brandi

Every day seems that I turn another corner for the best. I'm still itching like crazy, however, this a.m. I was able to, with the aid of several pillows.. lay on my side! HOORAH! it still slighly pulls on my port site which isn't v. comfy but it's a nice few minute change from laying on my back.

It doesn't take much to wear me out. I go back to work tomorrow and kind of dread it, I have a desk job though so the worst part will be going from truck to desk. after that I should be fine. I'm eating a soft scrambled egg right now that DHxa_heart.gif made for me.

I think finally today, some of my swelling has gone down.

Tracy

I don't feel so hot. Though the worst part is over now and I can start moving on.

I have never had any type of surgery before, and yesterday as I was changing into my gown I began to freak out a bit. Everyone was great and very comforting though.

I remember the anaesthesioligist (there's no way I spelled that correctly) giving me an injection through my IV and then giving me an oxygen mask. The next thing I knew my back was hurting like hell and I was trying with all my might to sit up. I was totally disoriented and couldn't figure out why they were trying to prevent me from sitting up. I have bruises on my upper ams, which I assume is from them holding me down (I bruise very easily).

The worst pain was/is just under both breasts. I figured it was from the incisions, but I don't have any incisions there. Turns out it's the gas. I'll be honest - the gas is not pleasent. There's none in my shoulder though - all in my abdominal area. It's quite sore under my breasts still (though feels a million times better than it did yesterday) and then I feel as though there is gas moving around in my abdomen, trying to move up, and that hurts, too. None of it is unbearable, and it definitely feels better when I walk. My back gets sore from laying in bed too long as well, but this also goes away if I walk.

They're going to come get me and a couple of other people who had the surgery in a couple of hours and take us shopping (really just to make us walk). Then my flight leaves tomorrow at 8am ... and six hours or so from that point, I'll be back home (well, at my boyfriend's).

Oh, my throat - it hurt like crazy before I ever went in to surgery because I have a cold. It absolutely killed when I woke up from recovery last night. They brought me broth and juice and I wanted to down it all immediately, not because I was hungry, but because it felt good on my throat. I only had a small amount though. I had the Vitamin C cough drops, and they let me suck on those. Today my throat doesn't hurt at all.

Congrats Lara you got through it!! Hope your shopping trip (walk) goes ok, Just think this time tomorrow you'll be back hom at your boyfriends, curled up in bed getting over the op and the flight. You need some comforting things to look forward too, Id buy a load of magazines, a good book and a hot water bottle to snuggle up with ( those are the things I'll have ready I think after my op :myscared: )

take care Sara x

Woo Hoo! Three days to go. I have done pretty darn well on the bariatrix. As a matter of fact, I may miss it. I take the vanilla and banana flavors and put about 3/4 tsp of powdered Crystal Light and WALLAH!

A great shake/smoothie! I think I will probably order some more. I have lost about 3 lbs. more than my requirement. I am going to pretty much stick to the liquids and veggies until the night before surgery. It can't hurt. Good Luck to all you Monday and Tuesday and WEDNESDAY:biggrin1: I will definitely post when I am able to after the surgery!

I forgot to mention, I have a Magic Bullet and I put it in with crushed ice and Water and blend it to a shake thickness.

Hi All..

I am curious... is this mainly an outpatient surgery or do you normally have to stay overnight?

Thanks,

Brandi

I'm having my surgery on March 29th in an outpatient surgery center. The surgeon says it takes about an hour and that I can go home a few hours later. Hope that goes well!

My doctor doesn't require a pre-surgery diet but his after surgery requirements are pretty demanding, it seems to me! I won't be on a regular food diet until May 1! After surgery I have a week of clear liquids, a day of any liquids, a week of strained food, and then three weeks of the "healing diet." Finally, after 5-6 weeks, regular food. Every doctor is SO different (from what I can tell on these posts).

One of my big concerns (besides not losing weight) is that I'll have to pay again if there are complications (not the surgeons' fees but the facility, anethesiologist, etc.) and, since I'm self-pay, that would really hurt. SO, I'm super committed to following the diets with absolute exactness. The two surgeons in this practice have done over 900 bands and have only had one erosion and less than 2% slippage problems. So, I'm committed!

Thanks to everyone for your candid experiences--it helops so much in my preparations and mindset. You are AWESOME!

Lucky ducks you guys are! We don't have Propel or Special K Protein water.. We have to make do wiht th ebasis. We don't even have the great array of Soups that the US has.The problem with living in a country with a population only twice that of NYC!! (16 million) We have to make do. So, when you guys are on liquid diets and feeling bad, think of me..I have about a third of the stuff available to me, that you have. :myscared: lol

Great idea about the sippy cup!! How much pain did ou have following surgery?? On a scale of 1-10? My US doctor sent me a prescritopn for pain medicine, but I can't get it filled here because i has codeine in it. GRRR!

They actually kept asking me while I was at the hospital how much pain on a scale of 1-10....right after I woke up I told them a 4, a couple hours later, I told them 3.5, a little later I told them a 2 and that's when they let me leave. Now I'd say I'm stuck at a 1. I'm sure I'll be there for a while, but 1 isn't so bad! :Banane32:

You could try getting soups and that sort of thing off the internet. I ordered a few things that way. Protein Powder, boullion, some Protein Bars for later. You can order almost anything, it's great. :Banane32:

I woke up today feeling lousy and by the afternoon, I had about 102 fever...I called the surgeon and he told me he could not operate on me tomorrow, because it would be too dangerous. He said that the surgical site would get infected. So I must call in the morning and get a new date. I really hope it can be soon, since I have really worked hard to clear my calendar to get this done.

So bummer for me, I am no longer a March 5th bander.

Mags

Sorry Mags,

I worry myself about that happening with only 3 days left. I have been taking an Airborne whenever I suspect even a sniffle!

Hopefully, they will turn it right around for a quick reschedule for you!:)