Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bulimic looking at Banding

you should definately seek help with the purging thing because when you have the band you're suppose to avoid throwing up as much as possible. You could cause your band to slip and that can cause damage if not taken care of. Think about what you're saying here....You don't want to tell your doc because he might cancel the surgery? Are you not trusting him with your health in the first place? Good luck with your journey.

I understand not wanting to tell your doctor because you don't want to lose the option. I don't know what I would do in your shoes, but I do understand just wanting what you want and not wanting to hear "no". I'm not bulimic but I'm a compulsive overeater, and I think the band hasn't been good for me in some respects. I never stopped overeating, I just throw up a lot. So the band has made it easy for me to get rid of food if I'm uncomfortable, also, I think I'm overfilled and am planning to have some Fluid taken out soon. I told my surgeon that I am a compulsive overeater before the surgery but I don't think he took it that seriously. I guess he assumed that everyone who comes in the door is.

I have not had to have any type of psych evaluation or testing. I filled out a questionaire and spoke with my doctor for a telephone consultation. I am seriously considering speaking with the nurse practitioner who assists him about the issue. I know that purging is BAD BAD BAD at the best of times and even worse when banded. My tendency is to think that knowing I risk major and immediate damage if I purge will help me to not do it. Right now all of the dangers are less immediate and more "eventually" or "over time". As well, I find that I tend to eat "mindlessly" right now without even realizing how much I have eaten until it is too late and I feel compelled to get rid of the massive amount of calories I've eaten. The band will, I think, force me to pay attention to what I am putting into my mouth and will force me to fill full after I have eaten a more acceptable amount of food.

I am also definately going to have my counsellor assist me in putting a more healthy "addiction" or crutch into place. I have notice that like many I tend to overeat at night after having a decent day food wise. ONe of the things I am looking at is exercising in the evening and/or making a point of getting out of the house and into the barn where I can do something I love (working with my horses) which is completely incompatible with overeating. Working with the horses is also something my children can participate in which takes away the guilt I feel when I doing things to try and improve my health/weight that take me away from them. Ie) working out at the gym and going to the sauna

I really appreciate all of the input you guys have provided me and look forward to becoming part of the LBT family. Hopefully in time I will be able to provide support and encouragement for others as you have done for me.

Well guys, I fessed up and told the nurse at the clinic about being Bulimic. She said she has to talk to the Doctor and have him call me. She said he may want me to wait to have the surgery until I have "better control"

If I had "control" I wouldn't need to spend $16,000 on the band!

Wish me luck - if it is meant to be it will be....

Well one thing to think about is this: it is very, very easy to throw up once you have the band. I don't have to stick anything down my throat--if I eat too much all I have to do is look at the toilet and bend over and it all comes back up. So if you don't have the bulimia thing totally under control, it could come back with a vengeance. I think the band actually MADE me bulimic and I wasn't beforehand. I am one of the few on these boards who regrets the band. I wish I would have had the bypass instead, and it's because of my eating disorder issues. If your doctor doesn't want to do the band, consider bypass instead. Because, after all, a lot of us have found ways to "eat around the band" and if you have a history of eating disorder you might do that too. And you don't lose weight when you eat around the band, but the E.D. mindset is too hard to change once it's this easy. The band has been a huge waste of time and money for me. Maybe one day I will be able to use it as it was intended, but my thinking around food is not healthy and it's probably not going to work for me until I get a lot of therapy.

Feel free to PM me if you want to hear any more about my experience or share yours!

You've got to be honest with your doctor. For good or bad, they need to know the whole story in order to keep you/get you healthy.

I remember reading somewhere that in other countries (australia being one) that they use the band to treat bulimia--something you might research and educate your doctor about.

I think the reason your doc needs to know is due to possible damage you may have to your esophagus...due to the purging. glad you decided to let him know!