Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to go green...a little help?

Hello fellow sleevers,

I made my first green smoothie today in my vitamix blender. It consisted of kale, ginger, apple, carrot, and almond milk. Well, lets just say my green monster tasted just as nasty as it looked! I really, really, really, really, did I say really??? I really want to like and enjoy green smoothies!!!

Anyone have great recipes to share?

I don't eat a lot of vegetables because I still barely have room for my Protein. I want to get some greens in there and I know what great benefits green smoothie drinks have raved about.

Will my taste buds adapt to the green smoothie taste? Or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Help!

Try making a shake you would enjoy and add kale. Fruits like bananas and avocados will make it creamy. So an example might be:

1/2 avocado (no pit or peel)

1/2 c frozen berries of your choice

Protein powder of your choice

1 c almond milk

2-3 large kale leaves

Stevia or other SF sweetener to your taste

Blend well and enjoy. You can blend-in some ice if you want it colder or thicker.

Prior to my sleeve surgery (still too early post-op to try to introduce this just yet myself) I would make the following smoothie every morning:

2/3 c. almond milk

1/4 c. Greek yogurt

1/2 banana

1 tbsp. Peanut Butter

2 tbsp. ground flax seed

3-4 frozen strawberries (or whatever fruit I had on hand)

1 1/2 c. baby spinach

Blended up in my magic bullet and called it a day. The Peanut Butter and flax give it a nutty taste and the banana masks the spinach flavor (and I don't even eat salads so I truly can't taste it). This makes a pretty big smoothie, so I would maybe start with half if you're going to try it. A blog I love, www.skinnytaste.com, turned me onto them and she has a slew of variations. Let me know if you try it!

yep you've got to add some fruit to kinda disguise the leafy greens. The nutriblast literature says the basic formula is:

1/2 fruit

1/2 veggie

(this includes either 1/2 small avocado or banana)

and then a sprinkling of a 'booster' like goji berries or healthy nuts.

and some Water

I also then add a packet of Syntrax nectar to add Protein and give it extra sweetness. Otherwise ti would likely require splenda.

One of my fave recipes is to use a cored, unpeeled red apple, 1/2 small avo, 1 c kale or baby spinach, vanilla Protein Powder, 1/2 oz almonds, and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Another fave is frozen cherries, 1/2 small avo, 1 c kale or baby spinach, chocolate Protein Powder, 1/2 oz almonds. Voila! blackforest cake! :)

Or frozen peaches, 1/2 small avo, 1 c kale or baby spinach, the Syntrax fuzzy navel powder, 1/2 oz dried goji berries.

I have these green shakes 5 days a week. Love em and I feel like they've done me a lot of good! I really haven't had any hair loss (yet -- knock on wood) and I attribute it to getting my calories & nutrition up early on with these shakes, and also the avocado.

Yum yum YUM!!!!

thank you for the recipes I will try add in more stuff tomorrow

The one I drink every morning is:

1/2 cup skim milk

1/2 cup Water

2 scoops click Protein powder

2 Tbs Flax seed (don't use this if you are early out)

2 big handfuls spinach

A couple ice cubes

I also enjoy one with peanut butter:

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup Water

2 Tbs PB2

1/2 frozen banana

1 scoop chocolate or vanilla Protein powder

2 big handfuls spinach

I make some other ones too but those are the main ones I enjoy.