Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I just had a question about eating at restaurants. I've been banded for three weeks now and am on mushy foods. As you all know the next step is regular foods. My problem, well not a problem so much as...well I'll just let you guys judge. My family-in-law celebrates everything with a trip to a restaurant. Coming up is my mom-in-laws birthday. I dont mind going but Im confused as to how to order at a restaurant. I've heard the whole "order an appetizer" thing, but even the smallest appetizer is going to be more than 2oz. I guess my question is, how do I eat just 2oz? Will my body stop me? I dont want to be bad but Im not sure I can stop myself from overeating. This will be a first for me.

I dont mind going but Im confused as to how to order at a restaurant. I've heard the whole "order an appetizer" thing, but even the smallest appetizer is going to be more than 2oz. I guess my question is, how do I eat just 2oz? Will my body stop me? I dont want to be bad but Im not sure I can stop myself from overeating. This will be a first for me.
A trick I use is to ask for a box when I order my food. I just tell them "go ahead and bring it, I know I'll need it." Then I will "eyeball" what I think it will take to get me to the point of no longer hungry. And I box up the rest. That keeps me from "picking" at my food, which I'm REALLY bad about, especially if there's a lot of conversation. And it keeps me from eating "just because"... because that means I'd have to pull the box out, cut another portion off, etc.

If it's not something you care to take home, then ask for an extra napkin and when you get to where you're no longer hungry, put the extra napkin over the food and push it down. You'd have to be damn hungry to be willing to scrape the napkin out of your food to eat another bite. :(

Follow your surgeon's guidelines, by all means, but I consider "2 oz" to be just that. A guideline. My surgeon advised meals between 2 and 4 ounces, but is also the first one to state that you know what you can handle. I don't know when you had surgery or how adjusted you are to whatever your level of restriction is, but listen to your body. For me, sometimes I only need an ounce. Sometimes I need 6 oz.

Oh, and RARELY do I order appetizers. THey're not good nutritional choices. appetizers are generally fried foods covered with sauces or full of fatty things. I order a regular entree, and get at least 3 more meals out of it, plus my husband gets his choice of pickings. :(

I tend to order things that come in "pieces" (e.g. grilled chicken tenderloins or a breast, versus a quarter) or things that will reheat well (which, IMO, doesn't really include meat).

This is something that I've thought about; how I'll handle the whole thing. Not so much what I'll order; but the emotional aspects...will I be sad b/c I can't eat my usual at my favorite resturant? Will I regret the band? Who knows. But what I've done is set myself a time limit. I will NOT go out to eat for at least three months time. Enough time to get used to the band, have some experience, and see some weight loss (hopefully). This way; there is no way I can feel regrets. "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

This is something that I've thought about; how I'll handle the whole thing. Not so much what I'll order; but the emotional aspects...will I be sad b/c I can't eat my usual at my favorite resturant? Will I regret the band? Who knows. But what I've done is set myself a time limit. I will NOT go out to eat for at least three months time. Enough time to get used to the band, have some experience, and see some weight loss (hopefully). This way; there is no way I can feel regrets. "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

I think that's a good idea, to get used to the band before eating out!

One thought, I've really found that my favorite foods have changed. So when you do order out, try something new sometimes, you might find something to replace that usual.

I had my first meal out at a restaurant--and it was my first "mushy" meal too. i ordered an omelet--with feta cheese, potatoes, leeks, spinach. i ate just under 1/2 of it---little tiny bites, chewed very well, tried to wait an amount of time between bites, skipped most of the spinach (because i was afraid it might be too fibrous)--had no problems. i also ate 3/4 of a slice of toasted whole wheat bread (i know, not very mushy) with butter--no problem.

i felt like i could have eaten more--but i resisted--because i am afraid of getting the dreaded PB or the feeling of something stuck--and PAIN.

that's what the band is doing for me--reminding me that there could be BAD CONSEQUENCES to overdoing it!

I've heard the whole "order an appetizer" thing, but even the smallest appetizer is going to be more than 2oz. I guess my question is, how do I eat just 2oz? Will my body stop me?

This sounds more like bypass instructions to me. Bandsters usually eat 1/2-1 c of food per meal, but even that is just a guideline. When you're on liquids and mushies, you tend to eat more because liquids and very soft foods slide on through the band.

For restaurants, I try to follow the same guidelines that I do anywhere else. Protein and veggies first. I avoid fried foods, sauces, etc. For example, today I had a small salad with grilled chicken. Almost any restaurant, if you ask for a house salad, can put something on top...such as grilled salmon, a small piece of steak, shrimp, etc...all depending on what you can eat.

If you're still on mushies, try some type of fish with steamed veggies. Eat slowly, chew well, and yes, your body will tell you when you're full.

Cindy