Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whats the deal with sugar free post op?

K..so originally when i thought post op i thought "sugar free everything" . However when i talked to my surgeon he said not to. He said it wasnt healthy and it made no sense..especially when on a clear Fluid diet.. so im trying to figure it out..why are so many people on sugar free post op diets??

My surgeon says you have to be sugar free for life. I figure he doesn't really expect you to be 100% sugar free forever but he sure says that. I never asked why because I don't plan on ever having much sugar.

I think the thoughts and findings for having sugar post-op are relatively new. I read to use full sugar popsicles during the liquid phase and to not worry about sugar too much till you can consume some solid Proteins. I will say I had "some" full sugar things like hot tea... I'm still 29 pounds down....4 weeks post op and I don't really put the low sugar thing into my equation. If I always eat my Protein first, and drink all my Water, there really isn't room for much else so a little sugar does not mess it up. IDK just my 2 cents....

My surgeon didn't advocate sugar free anything either. To be honest I'm not a fan of artificially sweetened foods - just the thought of sugar free jello/pudding is making me a little queasy!! I much prefer the taste of real food. I haven't really craved anything sweet, and if I do, I sprinkle a teaspoon of raw cacao nibs on my yoghurt or whatever or a square of 90% dark. I now prefer that bitterness as opposed to the sweetness like before. The aftertaste of anything 'artificial' makes me nauseous. Everybody seems to have different guidelines, I think you will find what works for you pretty quickly though.

If I remember correctly the reason lots of surgeons say go sugar free is to avoid dumping syndrome. Mostly people that have had the stomach by-pass suffer from this. However it has happened to folks with the sleeve surgery. Every surgeon is different. Just follow what feels right for you and your Dr.s advice. It's can get crazy trying figure out sometimes. Best Wishes

In my experience sugar (and carbs) are very addictive, causing cravings for me. I try to do sugar free most of the time and now full sugar things are actually very sweet to me. In lessening my consumption of sweets I lessen the cravings for them so it is win-win. I do still have dessert every so often, though but I notice the next day I think about food more than I normally would.

I also subscribe to the idea of moderation. If you can have regular sugar but in low amounts that won't sabatoge your weight loss and dont' cause you cravings then I don't see an issue. Everyone tailors their "tool" to what works best for them. Good luck, you will do great!

When you compare products that are regular and sugar free. The sugar free version is more than likely going to be unhealthy in some other way to make up for the taste. More fat or carbs. That's just my opinion. I try to avoid sugar because it gives me the slimes if I eat something too sugary. I do eat sugar free pudding mix in my Protein Shakes to mix it up a bit I love that.

My surgeon didn't advocate sugar free anything either. To be honest I'm not a fan of artificially sweetened foods - just the thought of sugar free jello/pudding is making me a little queasy!! I much prefer the taste of real food. I haven't really craved anything sweet, and if I do, I sprinkle a teaspoon of raw cacao nibs on my yoghurt or whatever or a square of 90% dark. I now prefer that bitterness as opposed to the sweetness like before. The aftertaste of anything 'artificial' makes me nauseous. Everybody seems to have different guidelines, I think you will find what works for you pretty quickly though.

These are my thoughts too. I'm not convinced that the artificial sweeteners are safe for us either as well as studies that show they are as bad at causing cravings too, plus tricking our bodies into thinking we are having sugar and messing with insulin production.

I am not a big sweet eater. Therefore, I plan to eat full sugar when I do. As long as it is plugged into my tracker, I feel like a full sugar this or that will be fine.

I do have my first NUT appt tomorrow and will discuss with her.

These are my thoughts too. I'm not convinced that the artificial sweeteners are safe for us either as well as studies that show they are as bad at causing cravings too' date=' plus tricking our bodies into thinking we are having sugar and messing with insulin production.

I am not a big sweet eater. Therefore, I plan to eat full sugar when I do. As long as it is plugged into my tracker, I feel like a full sugar this or that will be fine.

I do have my first NUT appt tomorrow and will discuss with her.[/quote']

i dont do artificial sweeteners at all. i used only small amounts of coconut sugar immediately post op. (low GI) i am now low sugar because anything sweet makes me feel icky. so when i do have something sweet, it is a tiny amount or way less sugar than previously. you never know how your body will tolerate things post op, for me, sweet stuff is now an occational thing. so start out slow and see how you do.

I was told by the nurse to only use Stevia, not sure why. I use to use sweet n low. I don't think any of them are healthy.

What about honey & cinnamon? Before surgery I used natural raw homey and cinnamon in my coffee because of the NUMEROUS health benefits but post surgery I am afraid to use honey because I am worried it might slow my weight loss. Your thoughts? Is 1-2 tablespoons of honey a day gonna stop or slow the weight loss?

I drank diet everything, sugar free this, fat free that for 20 years and ended up almost 265 pounds. Post op : no sugar free, no diet, no low fat... And I am 26 months post op maintaining my goal weight for the first time ever!! Go figure :-)

Laure, I have my teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of cinnamon every morning without a problem... I started at 3 months post surgery though.

Laure' date=' I have my teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of cinnamon every morning without a problem... I started at 3 months post surgery though.[/quote']

Thanks so much! ????

I am NOT doing SF for the rest of my life!! It's bad for your body and doesn't taste near as good as regular however, I will make better choices :)