Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else? Can not stomach protein shakes all of a sudden....

I was sleeved on Sept. 5, 2013. I did great my first week. About 11 days post op I noticed that after every Protein Shake I would literally be in the restroom a few minutes after with diarrhea. At first when it began I thought it was the milk because my husband bought the incorrect milk for me it was high Protein but 2%, I only had 2 Protein Shakes with this milk and that was 2 days ago. I went back to regular skim milk with my protein shakes and it is still going right thru me. I now find myself starving and I noticed it is making me weak. I had such high energy last week even walked everyday by Friday 8 days post op I had already lost 16lbs. Now I am at a stall, not holding any protein shakes and feeling no energy. Any advice? Any one else have issues with protein shakes after drinking them for a week or two? Also any suggestions when it comes to the full liquid diet? chicken and Beef broth is tiresome. What other Soups can you suggest?

You might not be able to handle the lactose. Use Water.< /p>

This is a tricky one because everyone seems to have a different tolerance to the different shakes. I ultimately settled on premiere Protein shakes, and Isopure as my choices. I think you might try a few different things to attempt to find a product that works for you.

If this problem continues, please call your dr's office for help. It is really important that you get the Protein and liquid you need. Soon, you'll move to soft, the regular food and there will be many more choices available to you.

I would say try some pre-made shakes. Eventually, you will figure out which ones your system will handle. BTW - if you are "a river runs thru it" make sure you are getting plenty of Water.< /p>

After my surgery, I suddenly became lactose intolerant. Never have been before. Actually still am. However, the pre-made shakes (my faves are the premiums from Costco/Sams) worked out fine.

And yes, please be sure you're getting enough fluids in!! Dehyadration bad!!

As for the Soups, I did as sirbrewz suggested, I took soups and liquified them. I acutally made a vegetable stew and tossed it in the blender. It sounds odd, but good lord it was delish! I lived on that for a week easily.

Have you tried Isopure? They have 40 grams of Protein per drink and are sold in a 20 FL OZ bottle. My favorite is the blue raspberry. I drink 1/2 on my way to work and the other 1/2 on my way home. Helps me get my Protein in....I too got sick and tired of the protein shakes!

Good Luck!

Try using soy milk

Use unsweetened almond milk to mix your shakes. It's delicious, low calorie and lactose free. Just make sure you buy UNSWEETENED. My favorite brand is Blue Diamond; I've tried them all. Good luck!

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I did my Protein Shake last night with Water it was the most unpleasant thing I have had next to the contrast I had to take the day after surgery for the xray! Even my husband smelled it and said how could I drink it. So this morning I did my Protein shake with skim milk it has been an hour and so far so good. so we shall see. If it happens again then I will have to use a lactose free milk for now or soy. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone experienced feeling weak and shaky after drinking Protein containing whey....and I am lactose so I use almond milk....I had a shake last night and I git the same feeling as right now it sucks....I feel really weak and clamy....

whey is dairy. I am having this problem too. Have had diarrhea at least three times a day for two weeks. And, of course, I just bought two cases of Protein Drinks and a bag full of expensive Protein Bars before I figured out what the problem was. Lactaid pills, even triple the dose, did nothing for me. No idea what to do now about getting enough Protein.< /p>