Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a minor hiatal hernia that my dr said would heal on it's own. I didn't even know I had it and had no symptoms. Now, I really know I have something going on.

My doc said its fairly common to have a flare of acid reflux for first few months, but it should settle down after that. Lets hope!!

I take the omeprazole 40 mg every morning. I wonder if I could take two per day...

I can't see my sleeve surgeon till Monday but saw another dr re something else and mentioned problem to him and he suggested I try taking Nexium 40mg twice per day, so I am. So far no relief but I'm not sure now if I'm feeling current reflux or the pain of internal acid burns - painful though. Anyway, drs words were "you can take these meds twice a day". Nexium is stronger than omeprazole - I was moved from omeprazole to Nexium to try to control my reflux pre-op (though it was nowhere near as bad as it is right now), but they essentially do the same thing.

My doc said its fairly common to have a flare of acid reflux for first few months, but it should settle down after that. Lets hope!!

I'm 5.5 months out and my reflux has gotten MUCH worse than pre-op in the past few weeks. It had been thought I had a HH pre-op (though not confirmed) but dr said that wasn't the case when he operated. My reflux had only started when I gained weight and it had been thought it would go when I lost the weight,but so far that's not so... Quite the opposite in fact.

I have a question for everyone having bad reflux....did any of you have a hiatal hernia repair during sleeve surgery? I did, but still having a little burn in my throat after eating.

Yes I had a hiatal hernia repaired also, I still have the burn but the 40mg of omeprezole works real good for me. I notice its what I eat also that triggers it sometimes. I also have that pain when i eat anything, I just think that my pouch is small and I eat too fast.

I've just started noticing this pain in the back of my throat after I eat too. At first I hoped it was allergies but last night I got the most awful taste in my mouth by 8 pm and burning in my throat. I took a Zantac (on top of the omeprazole I take in the am) and when I woke up this morning it was better.

This sucks, though, if it doesn't calm down. And bad news for our esophaguses!