Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Ladies over 50!

OK girls....i keet hoping i wouldn't have to ask this, but ....

Is anyone losing pubic hair????? My VSG was Oct 2012, i'm down 85 lbs. In months 3-5 my head hair was falling out quite a bit, then almost stopped. Head hair started coming out again, just slightly, a cpl mos ago. Pubes started coming out around the same time. I do get enough Protein but not grt at taking vits.

I'm wondering if this is sleeve related or menopause?!?? I have no symptoms of meno. But do know that estrogen is stored in fat, and wondered if now that i am less fat, meno is starting?? My gyno appt is coming up in a cpl months but thought i'd check here first. Thank you.

Hell Ldallas, Unfortunately I had surgical menopause years before VSG. I did lose lots of head hair between 5 and 9 months, which is recovering nicely, (too nicely) it's tooooo curly, I don't recall any pubic hair coming out, but I'm sure it did too. That I keep neatly trimmed so the shower didn't show me any loss. Overall I have never had much body hair. Lucky me I guess.

I'm only 4 weeks post op, but taking your Vitamins is very important along with getting enough Protein to help with the hair loss. Make sure your Vitamin has Biotin in it. I would think that Hair loss would be the whole body if it happens. Good question to ask at your gyno visit. Let us know if your gyno has a good answer! Good luck!

Hhmm...interesting. I'm still 6 weeks pre-op but thinking I could of saved myself the expense and torture of total body lazer hair removal if I'd known it was going to fall out down there too!

I keep hearing about Biotin to prevent Hair loss. Are you taking that?

I've been taking Biotin for about 3 months prior to surgery and have continued since my Dec. 2011 VSG. I will remain taking it. My sister lost lots of hair, her's has not yet grown back, she is over two years out. Actually I was complaining about how curly my hair has come in, it's difficult to straighten it, it's about a 3-4 inch undercoat of corkscrews, I should be happy, it's coming in dark blonde as it has darken as I've aged (56), but at least it has color and is getting so think in the back,t he front hasn't recovered quite as well. I have always gotten my Protein and Vitamins. I did injury my neck and had surgery last summer, I think my loss was a combination of both traumas to my body

I am 11 mos out and the 3-5 mo hair lost does happen eveneith taking Biotin. But it grows back slowly, I lost hair everywher

I'm just 9 days out, and the thought of losing my hair frightens me! How much hair are we talking about? All? 75%... Just want to get mentally prepared!

I imagine everyone is different. I don't think anyone goes bald. My hair was long and thick. It fell out in the house, on my clothes, and tons in shower and hairbrush. No one could tell by looking at me, though. I still have one spot by left temple that's thin but it's not noticeable. It's a minor inconvenience considering the benefits you'll get. I cut it so it would not be so messy, and to help my saggy face!

VSG 10/25/12

SW 300

CW 220

F/51...5'10

Thank you for the info, ????

I have always read that getting enough Protein and Vitamins can help prevent Hair loss. I haven't had any hair loss yet so I don't know if there is anything too it yet. I know that Biotin is really good for hair and nails though.

Usually between 3-5 mos out very few people escape it Biotin or not most people take biotin prior to and hair still comes out mb u wb lucky good luck