Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It feels like I delivered a baby through my abdomen.

Post op day 5. The muscle group under the largest incision is still in a ton of pain when I walk. Is this normal? I thought by now it would go away but it's not and even the liquid pain meds don't calm it down.

Anyone else have this issue post op?

I assure you that you don't feel like you had a baby. ;) Try a c-section where that scar is about 10 times bigger. Congrats on your stomach baby.

I was still achy there for up to a couple weeks. The knife pain was for about a week and a half. They told me that they had to cut through or move (can't remember which) you muscle wall there so it would be sore for the longest.

Ouch! Sorry to hear this. I've heard that particular incision is the worst because that's where they pull out the mass of detached stomach, but I didn't realize about the muscle soreness. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there!

I'd talk to the doc. Mine wasn't that bad and my pain meds did me just fine.

I had severe pain for a full 8 and a half weeks post op! It's not typical, but it does happen. (My surgery was a bit complicated because it was a revision from a messed up lapband.) But all of a sudden a few days ago, I could walk again (without pain)! So hang in there, it's only been 5 days. It may take a few weeks for you, or you could wake up in a day or two feeling good. If the pain keeps up long term, like mine did, I would advise you to get one of those abdominal binders for after a c-section--that thing made a world of difference for me!

Good luck!! :)

I had surgery the same day & that's my only spot that really hurts. It's nothing compared to my c-section but still painful. It hurts to stand up straight. I still have some lingering gas trapped in my body I'm trying to work out also!

Post op day 5. The muscle group under the largest incision is still in a ton of pain when I walk. Is this normal? I thought by now it would go away but it's not and even the liquid pain meds don't calm it down.

Anyone else have this issue post op?

Please move post to powder room!!!! Just kidding, pain is different for evry one don't compare or allow your doc to, call and get something stronger, demand it if you must !!

Everyones pain tolerance is different. At almost 2 weeks I couldn't stand long enough to cook dinner for the kids. Couldn't get in or out of bed with out help. When I did get up and walk I had to hold my gut the whole time. My doctor reminded me that I had just had major surgery and it will take time to heal. She said to take it easy, stop trying to do too much and to take my meds (I had gone off them so that I could drive my kids to and from school). Today one week later I am significantly better. I can cook and do some house work again. I can get up and down and shower on my own. I can even bend down to pick up the new puppy to take him outside. And my crowning acheivement I can wear a pair of pants one size smaller than before surgery without pain.

So in short your body will heal at its own pace and all of a sudden you will feel worlds better.

Good luck in your healing.

My surgeon told me its a muscle they cut through, I had crazy twinging/twitching that was like a spasm right there... She said if its doing that then I'm doing too much too soon. So try resting more... After week 4 it went away for me. It takes some longer than others.

I totally felt the same way! I was sleeved 5/12 and while everyone was saying how breezy their recovery was I was hunched over in pain. I was even walking around like an old lady and was bruised really bad. I had a slow recovery, but it has been such a rewarding experience. Best of luck!

Everyones pain tolerance is different. At almost 2 weeks I couldn't stand long enough to cook dinner for the kids. Couldn't get in or out of bed with out help. When I did get up and walk I had to hold my gut the whole time. My doctor reminded me that I had just had major surgery and it will take time to heal. She said to take it easy, stop trying to do too much and to take my meds (I had gone off them so that I could drive my kids to and from school). Today one week later I am significantly better. I can cook and do some house work again. I can get up and down and shower on my own. I can even bend down to pick up the new puppy to take him outside. And my crowning acheivement I can wear a pair of pants one size smaller than before surgery without pain.

So in short your body will heal at its own pace and all of a sudden you will feel worlds better.

Good luck in your healing.

If I'm laying down I don't feel it at all but what you're describing is exactly what I'm feeling. I hate my meds. They taste so nasty so I haven't been taking them. If I hold it in I can be a little more mobile and move arou d but the second I forget it kind of feels like a spasm of pain.

Annoying

I am so glad that I am not the only one! I have a pretty high pain tolerance and this incision pain has kicked my ass. I had surgery 9/10. Have felt great from day 1 except for this knife stabbing pain in my "big incision". When I move certain ways, boy, takes my breath away. It won't let loose until I get in a completely different position which takes a minute or 2. It's getting old in my opinion. I am thinking about getting the abdominal binder just so I can get back to work. Hoping all of your pain gets better soon, I am praying that we all will just wake up one morning and it will be gone.

I had 3 c-sections and I honestly thought the VSG recovery was harder. But, I didn't have a newborn baby to distract me either. Lol. :-)

My doctor said the pain would be almost instantly relieved when the big stitch in the stomach muscle finally dissolved or disintegrated or whatever it does. For me, I think it took longer than I expected, like 3 or maybe even 4 weeks. When it happened, the 'dimple' in my side disappeared and the pain subsided.

I am so glad that I am not the only one! I have a pretty high pain tolerance and this incision pain has kicked my ass. I had surgery 9/10. Have felt great from day 1 except for this knife stabbing pain in my "big incision". When I move certain ways, boy, takes my breath away. It won't let loose until I get in a completely different position which takes a minute or 2. It's getting old in my opinion. I am thinking about getting the abdominal binder just so I can get back to work. Hoping all of your pain gets better soon, I am praying that we all will just wake up one morning and it will be gone.

The last 3 days have been great. The pain went away for the most part. My abdomen, albeit out of pain is still compromised a little bit and weak but I finally feel like a human again.

I had 3 c-sections and I honestly thought the VSG recovery was harder. But, I didn't have a newborn baby to distract me either. Lol. :-)

My doctor said the pain would be almost instantly relieved when the big stitch in the stomach muscle finally dissolved or disintegrated or whatever it does. For me, I think it took longer than I expected, like 3 or maybe even 4 weeks. When it happened, the 'dimple' in my side disappeared and the pain subsided.

That dimple on me is a huge indenture. When I sleep on my side its uncomfortable because it feels like a weight it dangling under the skin. Weird.