Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and falling off wagon

I am still restricted in portion size but I can eat more often and just have not been making the best choices like I used to. And I'm just hungrier this week and its kinda freaking me out. Thanks for your input. I think I just need to avoid the slider/trigger foods which have started to sneak in and cause cravings.

Also' date=' I might just be overreacting. I haven't gained any weight and I've only noticed this in past few weeks. Just wanna get it in check and keep on losing.[/quote']

I am 4 months out as well and down 64 pounds. I too, fight the carb monster!! He's a nasty one! I have really worked hard at paying close attention to my Protein intake. I mean look at every single label!! Also, I did cave to my cravings. If I know one thing about myself, I can't do cold turkey on quitting. So, realizing my sleeve was a "tool" as we say around the sleeve world, the tool kept me from over doing anything. If I found that I "needed" that one sinful carb of whatever, I will have it and get over it. What I am discovering as I focus on getting in my Protein, carb things like breads, tortilla,and such leave me feeling uncomfortably full and unsatisfied to say the least. I also find that I am hungry much sooner when I have had carbs!

Another helpful "tool" is I have started NOT going to the store as much as possible. I get what is called "Nature Box" delivered to my home. It's for my Snacks need. I get healthy, satisfying Snacks delivered. I have also discovered local farmers markets that are awesome for fresh fruits and veggies! Also recently discovered Whole Foods is not far from me and that will be one of my next stops. They carry a soy free Protein powder that I am going to try. It's lower in sodium as well as no soy. Trying to avoid soy since its really not good for you at all. I do still have at least one Protein Drink a day on most days, probably miss about twice a week depending on family activities on the weekends. I get my Water on most days, I'm guilty of not exercising as I should be!! I really am working on retraining my brain and how it sees food and how what I eat truly makes me feel after its consumed!! I want to enjoy not only what I eat. But the after effect as well! :)

You are a whole new you!! It takes time to get to know a new person, even if its you!! Don't beat yourself up, be a VERY good listener and you will discover great things about the new you. Also, a family that I know through a child development program I work for, has great recommendations and insight to local farmers markets. Maybe you would pick up hints from her blog that you could apply to your local area? If you are on Facebook you can find her by searching "Real food in a Real World" and sign up for her blog. If I can help with other hints let me know!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I had a day or two of that and got back to basics' date=' more Water and more Protein. Protein cuts the carb crave and the insulin spikes that keeps that cycle going. Hang in there, at least your concerned enough to speak up for help. You can do this!! I find that my emotions are all over the place!! Crying and getting really p*** off at people.. anyone else?? VSG on 8/21[/quote']

I have horrible hormone surges!!! I'm 4 months post op. hormones are stored in our fat stores. So we are losing those fat stores rather quickly and those hormones are now running wild with no where to go!! Be alert and this is a great time of discovering not only self control in the food department but in our emotional department as well. Just as we can't let food control our emotions, we can't let our emotions control our mouth!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Unfortunately the sleeve only helps with the physical hunger - the emotional hunger is still there. My NUT said I could eat anything I want except for sugar. (only one dessert a week) Of course I;m lucky because sweets don't taste as good to me after the surgery. What I do when I want something that I feel is "bad" is that instead of cutting it out, which can lead to cravings, I eat some Protein first and then I have very little room for the "bad" food so I can only have one or two bites.

Anyway you haven't gained weight you just slowed down. I know it feels disappointing - I feel the same way when I get on the scales - but it will slow down eventually as it happens with all diets. Your body may just be adjusting.

Just try to do your best. Remember why you are doing this and what you've been through but don't be too hard on yourself. We need to accept that we will occasionally "slip". We get back up and continue. You're doing a great job. Concentrate on all the good things you've done and keep up the good work.

This is not a diet..This is a life long struggle that we are battling because of addiction to food...That is the plain and simple truth of the matter..some days my sleeve seems to close and I can hardly eat anything..Other days I feel like I could eat the world....I try very hard to make my food interesting and tasty....Different everyday....

One thing I have found that works well for me is to put my fork down after each bit and chew....1/2 way through I put my fork down again and listen to my sleeve...Most of the time at that point I get up and walk away....

There is no perfect sleever out there and I struggle with food addiction every day...What might work for me might not work for others.....

You are honest, true and strong just by posting this I know that you want it to change and I think you will probably today....

Each day is a new day and each day is a different set of problems.....I think you are brave for being here and telling us your feelings.....

Remember this is a life long change and you will eat things you can't be happy with..You did one of the toughest choices to have the surgery...You will deal with the day to day struggles...just like all the rest of us..

!0 months out I struggle some days more then others...I will admit I am not perfect...Just don't beat yourself up ..K

This is a long haul!!!!! :)

What's been working for me.... anytime I'm hungry I just force myself to have a Protein Shake and tell myself the hunger will go away soon. Whenever unhealthy food finds its way near me, I just remove myself. It takes a lot of will power sometimes but I know it's worth it. Hang in... I think the key is to replace the hunger with something positive and worthwhile.

If you are working out heavily, you may need to increase your calories. Call your NUT, or make an appt... mine told me at our last visit to call her if I ever need her and don't have time for an appt. I don't really agree with the personal trainer idea. I have went that route in the past and did a lot of weight training, and now I don't even want to go there because my shoulders hurt constantly from my job, and if I injure myself I am out of work... maybe legs later after I've lost a bunch, maybe. Even a personal trainer will say to lose weight, cardio, cardio and more cardio. The sculpting can come after the weight loss if ever. The weights don't burn near the calories as cardio, and if time is an issue do what works. I think you are probably more hungry from working out. See if the NUT has suggestions, like adding a snack or more Protein.... admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it! You've identified it, thats step one!

I don't find this particularly helpful, as it is inaccurate. Weights CAN burn as much as cardio, provided you keep your heart rate in the right zone. If you have a personal trainer who just tells you "lose weight, cardio, cardio and more cardio", then you have a BAD TRAINER. And injury should not be a concern if your trainer is monitoring what you do - that is one of the key benefits of having a trainer, to prevent injury! Weight training isn't just 'sculpting', it's building muscle to enable your body to be more efficient at burning the calories you consume, as well as your excess fat

Not everyone chooses to use a personal trainer, nor does everyone need one; but if you do, you should be sure to get one who is knowledgeable, knows or is willing to learn about WLS, and who is willing to partner with you on your goals. I expect as much knowledge, commitment, and dedication from my personal trainer as I do from my NUT and my doctor.

To the OP - I'm 4 months out as well, and feel many of the same challenges. I find I can eat more now than a few months, or even weeks, ago. And carbs like bread, Pasta, etc. will always be a challenge to me. Sometimes I win and sometimes I don't. What helps me when I don't is knowing I can easily get back on track, not just by doing the things the other posters have suggested, which definitely work for me, but also by knowing that I've made so many positive changes in my life to this point - taking the leap to get WLS, working out, making good food choices even some of the time - that I KNOW I can make good choices again. I choose to focus on my new found ability to do the right thing for me, and accept that even if I make a poor choice it isn't permanent. The weight WILL come off; sometimes slower, and sometimes faster, but it will be gone.

Sixty pounds is a LOT in four months, and you should be proud of the positive choices you made to get to this point. You've done an amazing job!

I did not post that looking for "permission" to eat junk. I was sharing my struggle and hoping for some encouragement to get back on track. And partly I was posting just to be accountable to myself by making it public. I was being honest.

I really find that there is a lot of negativity and judgement on this forum.

The best advice I've gotten so far was the suggestion about a therapist. The rest is just nasty and judgmental. And to the person who said "stop eating ****"... You are about 4 days out' date=' right? I hope for your sake you don't struggle like I am at 4 months, but at 4 days food made me sick. That changes over time and it does get harder. I'm not making excuses for my choices. Just being real and looking for some help.[/quote']

We're human. Get the junk out of your house and replace it with low carb items hummus chicken salad have a Protein shake ready for after your workout put a picture on your fridge do your before and after 60 pounds pictures . You can do it! See the nutritionist. Find friends on here that can email back and forth. Take the nasty ones just put them away don't read them. We're all on here because we're over weight! None of us can cast a stone! We all live in glass houses :-) hit the reset button :-) you can do it!

I'm struggling. I've been eating things I shouldn't and until recently, couldn't. bread used to be tough for me, but in past 2 weeks its fine (which is NOT a good thing). I've given in to too many Snacks that aren't healthy. I'm exercising a lot more lately so I've been hungrier, but I need to reel in these bad habits. I'm about 60 lbs down, but things have definitely slowed down--probably due to my poor food choices. Help, encouragement, tips or even gentle reprimands welcome.

I am at almost 4 months out. At my 3 month visit with my doctor, I was old to expect the weight loss to slow down at this point. So what's happening to you is the way it's supposed to be and nothing to beat yourself up over. 60 pounds in 4 months is a significant accomplishment - be proud of it.

Seeing a therapist that specializes in eating disorders is a good suggestion that others have given you and something you won't regret doing.

Hi Mamamareli,

At times Ive HAD to have foods to get to a decent daily caloric intake. I will have an oreo or 2 when I tally up my calories ( I use my fitness pal)... I have been very successful with food tracking. Remember, our food intake is sooo restricted that having an occasional brownie might help us more than it will harm us. Best of luck!

You've received some really good advice - just wanted to say congrats on losing 60 lbs and for exercising. Best of luck.

We all go through this, so you are experiencing something very normal. I recommend tracking your food or planning it in advance using myfitnesspal or a similar app. It will help you see what you are doing. The past is the past. Plan your food choices tomorrow and never look back! If you want to join me on myfitnesspal, my Id is Sirbrewz.

Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement and advice. Today was a better day...not perfect, but I'm getting a handle on the carbs. And I need to stop striving for perfection anyway. That is a sure fire way to spend my days beating myself up.

I'm 3+ yeArs out and I have to still keep carbs and sweets out of the house. If i even have a little I fall back into bad habits and its hurts slipping. I strongly suggest a support group or even over eaters anonymous. What ever might help

I guess I did not see "negativity" what do you want ppl to say. I read a lot of get back to the basics, low carb, and lots of Protein.< /p>

I guess I did not see "negativity" what do you want ppl to say. I read a lot of get back to the basics' date=' low carb, and lots of Protein.[/quote']

It was really in the first few posts, then I got tons of great responses. I'm thankful for all of those.