Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and falling off wagon

I'd urge you to go back to basics-maybe do a 5 day pouch test? I'm told thats a good way to beat back the carb monster.

Sorry youre having trouble & youre right that person who said stop eating s is an "lint licker"

allons-y

I think back to basics would be perfect. The carb cravings are what's killing me, and when I eat only food Protein, shakes and veggies I never get cravings. Stuff sneaks back in though. Time to kick carbs to the curb.

And thanks for the support on the other posters comment. I agree, it wasn't particularly constructive or helpful! Good to know there are supportive folks still around. :)

I guess I don't understand "falling off the wagon"... your sleeve is designed to restrict what you eat, meaning that whatever you eat you will eat less of. Just eat till your sleeve tells you that you're full and you're going to lose weight. I've seen plenty of people who just listen to their sleeves and eat what they want and lose plenty of weight. Obviously this is going to be an unpopular answer but everyone is different.

It's not the sleeve that is the problem. It is the mental work that it takes to work your sleeve. It is the same story you struggled with prior to your sleeve. The reason you gained weight and the head games, bad eating habits, and using food to meet your emotional needs that are very hard to reprogram in your life. That is what she is struggling with and turning to old habits and then beating the hell out of yourself for doing it. Fortunately she is reaching out to tame these problems. One day I promise you will experience this struggle and better understand it. When that happens you need to post us also so we can uplift you and help you through it. :)

Guys, seriously?? do you think this will never happen to you during the rest of your life? I can't believe some of the nasty posts. SO not helpful.

OP, I'm sure this will happen to many of us. Although I'm not far enough out yet, one of the things that helped me pre-op was being forced to give up the carbs doing the liquid diet. I find that when I eat carbs, I just keep getting hungrier and hungrier. Perhaps you can get yourself back on track by increasing your Protein intake over the weekend? By eating your Protein first?

Sending you good wishes and lots of good luck.

If you are working out heavily, you may need to increase your calories. Call your NUT, or make an appt... mine told me at our last visit to call her if I ever need her and don't have time for an appt. I don't really agree with the personal trainer idea. I have went that route in the past and did a lot of weight training, and now I don't even want to go there because my shoulders hurt constantly from my job, and if I injure myself I am out of work... maybe legs later after I've lost a bunch, maybe. Even a personal trainer will say to lose weight, cardio, cardio and more cardio. The sculpting can come after the weight loss if ever. The weights don't burn near the calories as cardio, and if time is an issue do what works. I think you are probably more hungry from working out. See if the NUT has suggestions, like adding a snack or more protein.... admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it! You've identified it, thats step one!

I'm struggling. I've been eating things I shouldn't and until recently, couldn't. bread used to be tough for me, but in past 2 weeks its fine (which is NOT a good thing). I've given in to too many Snacks that aren't healthy. I'm exercising a lot more lately so I've been hungrier, but I need to reel in these bad habits. I'm about 60 lbs down, but things have definitely slowed down--probably due to my poor food choices. Help, encouragement, tips or even gentle reprimands welcome.

I am almost four months out as well and I've hit a few rough Patches. I found that when I do not take my acid blocker, I am "starving" all day. It's the acid talking. As soon as I take one, I feel much better and the cravings are much more manageable. Are you taking a PPI?

Are you tracking everything you eat on something like myfitnesspal? Are you pre-planning meals? Most importantly, are you eating the same things over and over or are you finding new, more interesting things to eat? Are you getting in all your fluids and Protein?

I find that when I go back to the basics of Protein first, veggies next, complex carbs last, I rarely get to the carbs. When I eat the protein first, I am fuller faster and longer.

Plan, track, explore dietary options and follow your nutritional guidelines. You can get back on track.

I guess I don't understand "falling off the wagon"... your sleeve is designed to restrict what you eat, meaning that whatever you eat you will eat less of. Just eat till your sleeve tells you that you're full and you're going to lose weight. I've seen plenty of people who just listen to their sleeves and eat what they want and lose plenty of weight. Obviously this is going to be an unpopular answer but everyone is different.

You are five days out, so no, you do not get it. :)

You are absolutely correct about your ability to eat less resulting in weight loss. Unfortunately, that goes away. The farther out you get, the more you can eat and the more of a variety you can eat. Slider foods don't stick and you can/will find yourself grazing all day, consuming far more calories than you should, hindering weight loss.

I remember sitting where you are knowing I would NEVER be able to eat much again. I was wrong. ;)

I have had alot of bad days already n guess what I am only four weeks out. I am really grateful you posted this. It's my journey no-one else..I have had an eating issue for many years..hence getting this surgery..I'm fighting this eating habit the best way I can.I miss having food with friends and drinks with my husband..day by day..I don't have time and frankly money to go to a therapist ( Wish I did).I'm so happy that I can have a small pizza instead of three..I'm glad that I have a gilt instead of a whatever feeling.give you self some credit...your on the right track to a better you.I have been afraid to post things because I don't want people to judge..the same way I don't tell people that I had this surgery done...but I'm posting now because some people need to know that there are not alone.

To the OP; I understand what you are going through. Those that have not walked in your shoes "yet" have no right to make such negative comments. This is definitely a life long journey it will never end. Pasta, I believe was created by the devil to make us fat. Maybe bread, muffins, cakes and Cookies too! I wake up everyday and tell myself how wonderful I am and how far I have come and that I can do it! If I fall off my healthy eating wagon so what, I take a giant leap back on and say "yeh-ha" to the horses. You can do this, you have done great so far, "believe it, be it!!

My theory on all things in life is that it is not the mistakes we make that define us but the way we recover from those mistakes. I think it was a very strong step for you to post your mistake on the internet for all to see your mistakes and your dedication to do your best to fix it, especially knowing there will always be people who will try to judge you but your own opinion is the most important one. Sounds like you already know what you are doing wrong, now you just need to find the solution that works for you. Not everyone is created the same so the same solutions don't work for everyone. I will say that as you are getting further out you may need to consider increasing your daily calorie intake to find what makes you satisfied but continues your weight loss at the pace you are looking for. I personally recently increased my daily calories from around 900 to around 1200 and also doubled my daily Protein from 70 to 140, as a result my weight loss actually sped up. It is also important to realize if you are exercising a lot you may actually need some carbohydrates, try finding the best quality carbs you can. No matter what try not to let yourself get discouraged, remember why you started your journey and use that same motivation to help get you back on track. Good Luck.

I'm pre-op, but I am sure I will end up at some point in the same position. I haven't been able to get control up to this point, I know it isn't going to 100% change my life and I'm never going to be drawn to my past addictions. Too many years of bad behaviors. I have dieted and done well for long periods of time... once I went over 1 1/2 years with NO sugar... none, and one day I had sugar and the game was back on. I also know that when I work out consistently the diet stays more in control. I also know now I am in pain trying to work out, can't wait to lose enough to where my feet aren't killing me and I can get more consistent. I hope the hunger hormones are minimized in this process and my cravings get better. I am a stress eater. Hang in there! I'm sure everyone fights some of these demons along the way.

I have had alot of bad days already n guess what I am only four weeks out. I am really grateful you posted this. It's my journey no-one else..I have had an eating issue for many years..hence getting this surgery..I'm fighting this eating habit the best way I can.I miss having food with friends and drinks with my husband..day by day..I don't have time and frankly money to go to a therapist ( Wish I did).I'm so happy that I can have a small pizza instead of three..I'm glad that I have a gilt instead of a whatever feeling.give you self some credit...your on the right track to a better you.I have been afraid to post things because I don't want people to judge..the same way I don't tell people that I had this surgery done...but I'm posting now because some people need to know that there are not alone.

Please don't be afraid to post. Even if you get some negative feedback and hopefully you won't there are plenty of us that will lift you up and give the advice from some 20/20 hindsight. I consider this site my therapy. Sometimes in answering someone else's post you are helping yourself as well. It's the cheapest therapy I have ever had and it works really works!! :)

Stop eating ****.

Is that supposed to be helpful? Comes off rude!